Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 07:04 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Not unless the gate is of the very lightest possible construction. They'll warp under the weight of the gate. I assume from the photo that the OP wants to use the kind of gate typically seen at such a location: swung at one side, somewhat ornamental, electric opener. Even a steel heavy gauge post set deep in concrete will gradually assume a lean toward the gate; the gate will sag and eventually drag on the driveway. You either need to brace it with a member in tension running away from the gatepost (of course, if you have a complete fence, a fairly simple diagonal brace does this), or you need to attach the tops of the two posts up above the driveway (it has to be tall enough to pass a moving van, and/or easily removable).

"Brick" posts would simply be a brick surround on a structural post made of steel (or reinforced concrete).
Properly set, a 6x6 pt post will stay plum for many, many years....even with a heavy gate. Done it numerous times....including my own house. That being said, in my case, it is attached 5' above grade to a fence on both sides.....In the event it is not attached above grade there are some "tricks" you can use under grade to adequately support the load. Now, if you just dig a hole and only set it 18" deep and only use 50 pounds of concrete.....if will lean in very short order!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 07:31 PM

17,483 posts, read 66,237,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Properly set, a 6x6 pt post will stay plum for many, many years....even with a heavy gate. Done it numerous times....including my own house. That being said, in my case, it is attached 5' above grade to a fence on both sides.....In the event it is not attached above grade there are some "tricks" you can use under grade to adequately support the load. Now, if you just dig a hole and only set it 18" deep and only use 50 pounds of concrete.....if will lean in very short order!

The OP was not really forthcoming in this thread. Go to my earlier post that has the link to his earlier thread- you’ll see the pics of the intended gate.

A 6X6 post ain’t the answer here!

Old 01-12-2023, 10:58 PM

14,570 posts, read 12,243,983 times
I think you’re gonna want a short section of fence to brace and balance the gate. You can make the section wood fence, or anything that would match the style of your house…. paint it to match.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:05 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,326,577 times
Drive around your area to view existing gates to see what material is commonly used locally. Check gated subdivisions as well as individual gated properties. Take photos.

Stacked stone over reinforced concrete block is a possibility but make sure there are proper footings, rebar and poured concrete inside the blocks,as needed, to ensure stability. Stucco over concrete block is another option only if that is possible in your area. Stucco over block might work better is warmer climates. That's why is good to check what is common in your area.

You can also google your city for gate companies. See what their web sites show. Check redfin for homes for sale in your area. Put the word gated into the custom keyword search. Look for photos of the gate.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:35 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,761,364 times
Quote:
Well, sure, if you put what's essentially a corner post or attach it to a fence that can take the tension, then a relatively light duty post can hold up a heavy steel gate. OP has not told us whether he intends to install an entire fence, or use any kind of triangulated braces, or just sink a post into the ground.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,761,364 times
Quote:
Well, sure, if you put what's essentially a corner post or attach it to a fence that can take the tension, then a relatively light duty post can hold up a heavy steel gate. OP has not told us whether he intends to install an entire fence, or use any kind of triangulated braces, or just sink a post into the ground. Even two posts set 8 feet apart (each one deep into concrete) and connected with one angle brace in tension, would give a LOT more stability.

Last resort would be, if the pavement is level enough, to put a wheel on the end of the gate/gates.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:27 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The OP was not really forthcoming in this thread. Go to my earlier post that has the link to his earlier thread- you’ll see the pics of the intended gate.

A 6X6 post ain’t the answer here!
After reading your link to the previous post....I agree.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:00 PM

17,483 posts, read 66,237,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Last resort would be, if the pavement is level enough, to put a wheel on the end of the gate/gates.

Did you even look at the picture!?

Old 01-14-2023, 03:15 PM

330 posts, read 273,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Is the house white brick? if so white brick columns. Or white concrete pillers with wing walls sloping down to the ground to help transfer the horizontal load of the gate hanging from it. What will the rest of the fence be? You aren't just putting a gate up without a fence are you?
I was thinking of just putting up a driveway gate as well as a side gate because there are deep trenches in front of the trees and the trees already kind of make it like a fence.

Last edited by blue777; 01-14-2023 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House