Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM

10,626 posts, read 12,180,119 times

Advertisements

Is there any appliance you just have a pet peeve about?

For me it's the refrigerator.
Why can't they make a French door frig with the FREEZER on top? I love the idea of the wider opening for the two facing frig doors, but still want my freezer on top.

I hate the freezer drawer below. I don't care how 'deep' it is, I always feel like I'm DIGGING stuff of of the freezer. You can't see as well what you have in there because stuff is more 'stacked' on top of each other.

I was told the rationale is that most people don't use their freezer that much? Oh really? I'd think that when they do, they'll still like to see what's in there without digging stuff out and moving stuff around to make it fit.

The lower freezer at work has a deep drawer and a wire shelf. Talk about a wasted design of space. You have to pull out the shelf to see what's there. You can't see what's underneath the stuff at the top of the deep drawer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM

42,002 posts, read 75,373,190 times
And that's precisely why I didn't buy a bottom-freezer refrigerator ... When we went fridge shopping, we looked at them, and determined we did not like the fact that we had to contort ourselves to get into the back of the freezer. It's nothing like getting into the back of the refrigerator in a top-freezer model, because you have plenty of headroom to get back in there and poke around, which you do not in a bottom-freezer model.

I'd like to have the controls on my electric stove at the front instead of behind the burners. Reaching over a steaming pot to turn the burner up or down is literally a pain.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,907,123 times
Why can't they make a whistling tea kettle that doesn't sound like a cat being tortured? Maybe one that gives compliments, like "Have you lost weight?" and "I like your hair like that."

Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,158,252 times
Why does nearly every appliance have a green glowing clock on it? If you walk into the kitchen at night it's like Chernobyl. I understand the need for a clock on many devices but there should be option that it turns off unless the device is in use.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why does nearly every appliance have a green glowing clock on it? If you walk into the kitchen at night it's like Chernobyl. I understand the need for a clock on many devices but there should be option that it turns off unless the device is in use.
THIS!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
Well my pet peeve is more specific to a microwave I purchased a two years ago. Ugh, if I would have known, I wouldn't have bought the darn thing. When we moved into our house every appliance was a different color. When the stove died we replaced it with SS but the overhead micro was almond so I replaced that too so they matched. The previous microwave was fine and I liked it except the color. So anyway, we get this new microwave. It is the most annoying appliance I have ever owned and I long for my almond colored microwave. When a meal is done cooking it beeps. Okay fine but it doesn't stop beeping until you open the door. Why this feature is on there I have no idea. Its not going to over cook. Its a microwave. I have been in the middle of doing something and the cooking will stop, beep.....beep.....beep.....beep.....beep. OMG! I complained about it to my mother and she thought I was nuts, she couldnt figure out what the big deal was. So when she came to stay with us last summer she heated up some food, was getting herself a drink and the microwave was done heating up her meal.

Beep....beep....beep....beep...beep..

She was like OMG that is annoying. Yep. I found some reviews on the microwave and some have complained about it. There is no way to turn it off unless you turn the sound off completely. I tried it but it felt odd not having sound when touching the keypad. I just don't get it. One or two beeps fine but for it to go on and on it just stupid. Oh and I love the metal rack that comes with it. Completely useless. It says in the manual not to leave the rack in there, only use it when you need it. I never need it so I had to find a place to store it.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times
I have a thing about refrigerators too. I wanted a black, counter depth side by side BUT I did not want the "thru-the-door" ice and water thingy. It takes up too much freezer space and they leak and I just don't need it. I could only find 2 such appliances in existance and neither in stock anywhere so I orderd one special from an appliance store. That was about 8 years ago and I know mine isn't being made any more leaving exactly 1 out there somewhere, maybe, if I ever need to replace it.

I will never EVER buy one of those stupid bottom freezer units. Who the hell likes those? I don't know anyone who does and I know a lot of homemakers!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times
Why can't they make appliances with longevity anymore?

My biggest appliance peeve is the new "energy efficient" washers. Sure they are energy efficient because they use less water but they don't get your clothes clean. I miss the old style agitators and the machines that filled with water almost to the "top" and really cleaned with real water.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,688,898 times
Stoves not venting outside. Mold? buildup around fridge, cold water dispenser.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM

18,499 posts, read 31,713,142 times
I HATE refridgerators.

I think they are the ugliest things to look at in the whole house. I don't know why they don't make all of them counter depth. They are big and clunky looking.

I hate the side by side, they don't have that much room. I hate the freezer on the bottom, more so I hate the drawers on the bottom. It is not a dresser. LOL

I think I will get the panels to match the cabinets when I re-do......if I could ever make my mind up

fridges are just ugly, I wish I could put it in the closet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House