Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,065,775 times

Advertisements

Note to self: "Don't buy a new appliance unless you absolutley have to.....get the old one repaired if possible."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I am surprised that nobody else has my pet peeve.

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying. There is no volume control or on/off switch, either. My (GE gas) dryer was super-cheap on sale back in 2002, when I bought it, and does a great job of drying. No excuse to replace it, since it won't break and my only complaint is the loud BUZZZ!!!! Even though I live alone in a single family home, I do not dry clothes in the middle of the night for fear of awakening my neighbors.

And why is it so hard to find out what buzzers sound like before purchase? After this, I think it could be a major selection criterion. But even Consumer Reports usually ignores buzzers.
When we moved in the previous owners left us a dryer. Can't remember the make but it had a buzzer that would make you jump out of your skin. It even scared the dog and cats. lol. We got LG and the buzzer on them is cute. It sounds like a flute. It also can be turned up, down or off. Awesome.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,417,585 times
Quote:

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying.
I do have your peeve.

I can't call it a "pet peeve" because the truth is that I have so many appliance pet peeves that I decided to spare everyone and only mention one.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,065,775 times
Quote:

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying. There is no volume control or on/off switch, either. My (GE gas) dryer was super-cheap on sale back in 2002, when I bought it, and does a great job of drying. No excuse to replace it, since it won't break and my only complaint is the loud BUZZZ!!!! Even though I live alone in a single family home, I do not dry clothes in the middle of the night for fear of awakening my neighbors.

And why is it so hard to find out what buzzers sound like before purchase? After this, I think it could be a major selection criterion. But even Consumer Reports usually ignores buzzers.
I have the opposite peeve. My washer and dryer are in the basement......and I wish the buzzer was LOUDER.

Ideally......the volume of buzzers should be adjustable.

And......why isn't there a buzzer on the washer?

I would like to know when the wash is done so I can immediately hang up items that I don't want to put in the dryer so wrinkles don't have time to set.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Well my pet peeve is more specific to a microwave I purchased a two years ago. Ugh, if I would have known, I wouldn't have bought the darn thing. When we moved into our house every appliance was a different color. When the stove died we replaced it with SS but the overhead micro was almond so I replaced that too so they matched. The previous microwave was fine and I liked it except the color. So anyway, we get this new microwave. It is the most annoying appliance I have ever owned and I long for my almond colored microwave. When a meal is done cooking it beeps. Okay fine but it doesn't stop beeping until you open the door. Why this feature is on there I have no idea. Its not going to over cook. Its a microwave. I have been in the middle of doing something and the cooking will stop, beep.....beep.....beep.....beep.....beep. OMG! I complained about it to my mother and she thought I was nuts, she couldnt figure out what the big deal was. So when she came to stay with us last summer she heated up some food, was getting herself a drink and the microwave was done heating up her meal.

Beep....beep....beep....beep...beep..

She was like OMG that is annoying. Yep. I found some reviews on the microwave and some have complained about it. There is no way to turn it off unless you turn the sound off completely. I tried it but it felt odd not having sound when touching the keypad. I just don't get it. One or two beeps fine but for it to go on and on it just stupid. Oh and I love the metal rack that comes with it. Completely useless. It says in the manual not to leave the rack in there, only use it when you need it. I never need it so I had to find a place to store it.
The microwave with the beep is good for people who are really busy or absentminded. My mom's microwave doesn't beep like that, and she's always finding her oatmeal in there the next day.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Maybe I could pull the beeper out of my microwave -- which does go on incessantly -- and install it in my dryer.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I would like to know when the wash is done so I can immediately hang up items that I don't want to put in the dryer so wrinkles don't have time to set.
Our dryer has steam, a dryer with water hook up.

In any event I'd track down the location of the buzzer and wire it up stairs.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I will never EVER buy one of those stupid bottom freezer units. Who the hell likes those? I don't know anyone who does and I know a lot of homemakers!
Hurt your back and knees, and then we'll talk about how awful it is to wrestle a gallon of milk in and out of a top freezer fridge. And how you have to bend down and move things around and then go near the bottom to get the lettuce.... while the very act of moving your arms around and picking anything up of any weight while bent over is what makes your back scream...

The next fridge will be a bottom freezer.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,232,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Why can't they make appliances with longevity anymore?

My biggest appliance peeve is the new "energy efficient" washers. Sure they are energy efficient because they use less water but they don't get your clothes clean. I miss the old style agitators and the machines that filled with water almost to the "top" and really cleaned with real water.
Did you notice how a regular wash takes longer now, too? It used to take 30 minutes to wash a load and now it takes almost an hour.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Did you notice how a regular wash takes longer now, too? It used to take 30 minutes to wash a load and now it takes almost an hour.
Same with dishwashers (at least mine); with my old machine, the complete cycle -- drying and everything -- took about an hour. My new machine takes about 2 hours to complete a cycle. Even without drying, it takes 90 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House