Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times

Advertisements

12/18/2020

I just put in two brand new Ray-O-Vac AA batteries, tested them to make sure they were putting out 1.5 volts. The Carbon Monoxide detector proceeded to chirp three times every 60 seconds (which the printed advisory says means you need to replace the alarm). For the heck of it, I dug out two Energizer E91 batteries and put them in. Guess what- THE ALARM IS NOW WORKING PERFECTLY. Went looking in the forum for an explanation and saw a lot of "Opinions" that it shouldn't matter what battery you use but I just put it to the empirical test and it certainly did make a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 03:44 PM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Rayovac batteries in my opinion are the worst quality ...they also tend to leak badly .

There is no difference between the rayovac and en91 equals except I would test those rayovac ,I bet they are weak

Old 12-18-2020, 03:54 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Some First Alert info here re "Alarm Chirps with New Battery"

"If your smoke alarm is chirping even though it has a new battery, try these troubleshooting steps to clear out residual charge from the old battery."

https://support.firstalert.com/s/art...-a-smoke-alarm

Old 12-18-2020, 04:02 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon crouch View Post
12/18/2020

I just put in two brand new Ray-O-Vac AA batteries, tested them to make sure they were putting out 1.5 volts. The Carbon Monoxide detector proceeded to chirp three times every 60 seconds (which the printed advisory says means you need to replace the alarm). For the heck of it, I dug out two Energizer E91 batteries and put them in. Guess what- THE ALARM IS NOW WORKING PERFECTLY. Went looking in the forum for an explanation and saw a lot of "Opinions" that it shouldn't matter what battery you use but I just put it to the empirical test and it certainly did make a difference!
I like empirical tests. They make for fun logic puzzles as well as dispelling myths.

If you would indulge me, would you remove those batteries and wrap them in paper that you have darkened with a color felt tip marker (any color will do) and then reinsert and test? If they no longer work, would you then wrap the ray-o-vacs in foil, insert and re-test?

I'll leave it to others to figure out what my wild mind is speculating on and why.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I like empirical tests. They make for fun logic puzzles as well as dispelling myths.

If you would indulge me, would you remove those batteries and wrap them in paper that you have darkened with a color felt tip marker (any color will do) and then reinsert and test? If they no longer work, would you then wrap the ray-o-vacs in foil, insert and re-test?

I'll leave it to others to figure out what my wild mind is speculating on and why.
Sneaky!

If your hypothesis is correct, a Ray-O-Vac Fusion might also work.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:48 PM

857 posts, read 843,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

You are clearly speculating one goes out and buys a Duracell. Boom! Problem empirically solved.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:14 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
You are clearly speculating one goes out and buys a Duracell. Boom! Problem empirically solved.
You are quite correct.

Ever try to use an off-brand ink cart in an ink jet printer? How about make coffee in a maker designed for only one brand?

You don't own an appliance until you can crack the seal and work on it and repair it yourself. If, by chance, this detector only could use one type of battery, I would want to know, so that I can avoid it. Besides, I find this type of puzzle more entertaining than following talking heads on the news and trying to figure out which side of the mouth they are lying from.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,497 times
Default E91 is just a model number for a specific AA alkaline battery

I also was curious about this battery "requirement" on my CO Detector. I found an Energizer Product Data Sheet here: https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E91.pdf, that says they are AA alkaline batteries - nothing about rechargeable. If they were rechargeable, it would definitely say so. I also found an ad from one of the images (can't find it again) that said they are single use. E91s (or E91 Max) are labeled as mercury free alkaline batteries. This would lead me to understand that they are still regular old AA alkaline batteries. To confirm this, you could always contact Energizer for final word. So, my final word: any AA will work. I'm putting Duracell in mine

Old 06-18-2021, 02:40 AM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
All e91 batteries are the same ..and they are not rechargeable. They may come in different mah but. A straight e91 is a e91

Old 06-18-2021, 07:27 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon crouch View Post
12/18/2020

You keep saying AA batteries. Are the ALKALINE batteries or plain old carbon zinc batteries. Alkaline batteries have a different discharge curve than plain batteries. It may make a difference. Replacing with another quality Alkaline battery should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House