Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times

Advertisements

or I need to extend my studs in order to get the walls to match up with the windows. Should I use two layers of drywall or is there some type of 3/8 or 1/4 inch spacer that I can put on the studs??? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I had same issue, I ripped some 2*4's into 1/8 thick pieces on the table saw. Two small finishing nails on each piece to hold them in place until the drywall went on. If you have no standing saw probably you're best investment is larger radial arm saw because you can both rip and cross cut with it. I still have my Dad's Craftsman he bougth in '71, I don't use it much becsue I have other saws. If I had to choose one it would be easy choice.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-03-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had same issue, I ripped some 2*4's into 1/8 thick pieces on the table saw. .
Or just buy a sheet of 1/8" or 1/4" plywood and cut in small rips.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you "need" drywall that is 7/8" thick you should sandwich 1/4" panels and 5/8" panels. That will result in a fully fireproof installation...

I think this will result in a much better finished job than attempting to use 1/4" plywood which tends to have a larger number of voids than thicker plywood. Those voids are fine when trying to use the plywood as underlayment for flooring because construction adhesive will work to hold everything together, but if the voids are in a wall you won't have the same room for fudging...

Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
What brought on the condition to begin with?
Is this an old window that originally had plaster&lath around it? Or, is it a new window that wasn't properly set?

Obviously, if the window wasn't set properly- reset it. But, if it's the former- a restoration project that I was involved in many years ago had a similar situation. We were restoring the original sashes which meant leaving the jambs in place. To correct the indifference so casing would lay flat we used a power planer and finished it up with a belt sander. This process allowed the walls to remain true to the window jamb. I wouldn't necessarily say it was any easier or harder- just more correct for the situation.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Sounds like someone removed an older wall system that left too much space for modern drywall, right?

I concur with the plan to sandwich the two layers of drywall. I'd be interested in which thickness the experts think goes on the outside and whether the first layer even needs to be taped. I would think the latter does not matter, but as to which on the finished side, I'd sure ask experts before doing it. Dry wall is like concrete finishing. A simple task but technique is everything.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
or I need to extend my studs in order to get the walls to match up with the windows. Should I use two layers of drywall or is there some type of 3/8 or 1/4 inch spacer that I can put on the studs??? Thanks.
what you probably need is 1/2 or 5/8" in sheetrock...
with two layers of plaster making up the difference...
just like what was done when the house was first built.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Sounds like someone removed an older wall system that left too much space for modern drywall, right?

I concur with the plan to sandwich the two layers of drywall. I'd be interested in which thickness the experts think goes on the outside and whether the first layer even needs to be taped. I would think the latter does not matter, but as to which on the finished side, I'd sure ask experts before doing it. Dry wall is like concrete finishing. A simple task but technique is everything.
Yes, it's a 66 year old house. It looks like it was 3/8 inch drywall with plaster on top. I now have R-13 between the studs.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Two options, two layers of sheetrock, the thinner first to have a strurdier piece at the surface, or use sheet rock shims. Available at any Lumber yard. I always use them to shim crooked studs to get a perfect wall.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Yes, it's a 66 year old house. It looks like it was 3/8 inch drywall with plaster on top. I now have R-13 between the studs.

Nice. Skip the plastic barrier over the R13 if anyone suggests that. Is is SOP in new construction stud walls. But, the wall cavities lead a lot healthier life if they are just allowed to let any moisture absorb into the drywall.

I'm still looking for an answer to which sheet goes on the inside and confirmation that the first layer doesn't have to be taped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House