Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,165 times

Advertisements

I discovered my air conditioner has a leak. The technician came today and advised that I have a freon leak and they cannot pinpoint where the leak is coming from. He suggested I get an isolation test which costs $800. I would incur an additional cost to fix. The other option is to replace the coil and condenser which will cost $2800 (new air conditioner). He gave me enough freon to last through the Fall.

The unit is a little over 9 years old and I am trying to figure out the most long term cost effective way to remedy this. I plan to get quotes from other companies. I just had this thing serviced six weeks ago and the tech advised everything was okay and I just needed freon. Six weeks later I have a leak. Do you think it is a coincidence or did he do something? I have had the same person service the unit for several years. I just can't help but be suspicious. I was so distraught when I found out how much this is going to cost, I took the rest of the day off.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone know the lifespan of a central AC? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
At 9yrs you're at the end of the useful life...
shop it but $2800 isn't outrageous for NAME brand equipment.
It can wait until the spring.

of note: how old is the furnace portion of the system?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,898,736 times
At 9 years, depending on the climate where you live, it could well be the end of life. In South Texas the AC runs 9 months of the year so it lasts less than one in Michigan. Look at the toatal cost of isolation and repair. Compare the cost to find and fix the problem with the total cost of replacement. $2800 is top of the line. Shop around and see if other suppliers have a better price. Make sure you compare apples to apples. That is, always compare the same size compressor.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM

The furnace is also a little over 9 years old.

I've been doing some reading online and I am more confused then ever. I am going to get a few more quotes to make a better informed decision. I am glad it happened now and not in the dead of summer.

I will only use it sparingly. I cannot pay for any big repairs until 2013.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
First thing I would do if he can't find the leak is get a tech who knows about the sealant that can be added to the unit and seal most small leaks thru out the system. It came out about 2005 and is widely use.The sealant kit runs about 40 dollars to the tech in cost and would be well worth the chance. A quailty unit if maintained should last at least 15 years even here in Texas heat.Be sure and have the unit rechecked for freon in about a month. If it will laqst thru the fall its like a small elak that the sealant will work on.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
First thing I would do if he can't find the leak is get a tech who knows about the sealant that can be added to the unit and seal most small leaks thru out the system. It came out about 2005 and is widely use.The sealant kit runs about 40 dollars to the tech in cost and would be well worth the chance. A quailty unit if maintained should last at least 15 years even here in Texas heat.Be sure and have the unit rechecked for freon in about a month. If it will laqst thru the fall its like a small elak that the sealant will work on.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House