Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 AM

61 posts, read 131,747 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! So I just moved to Maryville, and I absolutely love it here! Being from Florida, I am very used to bugs, even though I hate them all. However, never in my life have I seen a centipede. I am absolutely terrified of these bugs. They are horrific, run at lightning speed, and seem like a scene out of a horror movie. Do you have any tips or suggestions on how I can get rid of these centipedes? I find them walking on the walls and floors...sometimes I smush several in one day. They jump off the walls and run across the house. Thank you so much for any help you can give me. I HATE centipedes!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:38 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,801 times
I'm in middle TN and have a problem with them too. I'm terrified of them! I have ceiling beams, and they drop down from the beams. I'm especially afraid during power outages. It seems like if we have a power outage at night and it's pitch dark, that's when they'll be on the beams and drop on whomever is sitting on the couch. I no longer sit on the couch during a power outage. I painted my beams white so I can see centipedes better. Gawd I hate centipedes! And this is coming from someone who usually likes bugs!

Do you have trees hanging over your roof? I do, and I wonder if that's why I have such a problem with them. I've had my house sprayed by an exterminator, but it doesn't seem to get rid of the centipedes.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I had to look up a picture of a centipede. I've never seen them around here and I have 23 very, very mature trees on my lot. An article states that they can be found all over the world including The Amazon and The Arctic Circle, so my guess is it is bad luck of the draw that you suddenly have them in your house. Apparently they can be anywhere.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,576 times
Here is the worlds best centipede joke as told by my grand daughter

What goes 99 bonk...99 bonk...99 bonk

A centipede with a wooden leg

please tip your waitress, i'll be here all week.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I had to look up a picture of a centipede. I've never seen them around here and I have 23 very, very mature trees on my lot. An article states that they can be found all over the world including The Amazon and The Arctic Circle, so my guess is it is bad luck of the draw that you suddenly have them in your house. Apparently they can be anywhere.
I've never seen them here, either, or anywhere else I've ever lived, and I've lived in 32 different homes in 6 countries, ranging from the jungles of the Philippines to urban France. I guess the OP is just unlucky.

A good resource on how to get rid of centipedes would be the University of Tennessee's agricultural extension office. When I had problems with Japanese beetles they gave me excellent--and free--tips on how to get rid of them.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Corrected the number of homes I've lived in.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Have you considered "adopting" a few LIZARDS, Julie?

No Centipedes out here primarily due to the huge Lizard population. In fact, very few creepy critters overall.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,807,708 times
"It may often be seen darting across floors with very great speed, occasionally stopping suddenly and remaining absolutely motionless, presently to resume its rapid movements, often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation."
House Centipedes — Entomology — Penn State University

Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
"often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation."
House Centipedes — Entomology — Penn State University
LOL!

The article at that link says:
Quote:
Although all centipedes have poison glands and the means to inject their venom, bites are infrequent and normally do not cause more than temporary, localized pain.
I've been bitten several times on my legs, and they are right about the temporary pain, but every time I've been bitten, the bite is about 1.5 inches long and looks like a scrape. It eventually scabs over and doesn't hurt after the initial bite, but takes a long time to go away.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I've been bitten several times on my legs, and they are right about the temporary pain, but every time I've been bitten, the bite is about 1.5 inches long and looks like a scrape. It eventually scabs over and doesn't hurt after the initial bite, but takes a long time to go away.
Ewwwww, I hate the thought of something crawling on my skin and biting me.

We just had a small centipede infestation at work and the exterminator said they were being drawn into the open by the cool moist air coming from the coolers!
Can't say as I blame them though, as I like hanging around the coolers when it's unbearably hot too.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-06-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM

61 posts, read 131,747 times
So I must just be unlucky with these pests! They are so gross and I am petrified of them! Thank you for the suggestions!! I will be contacting the University of Tennessee's agricultural extension this week! I am wondering if they could possibly go away when it gets cold. I can only hope they won't get worse!!!!! Yuck!!!!!! They are so frightening!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House