Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,029,633 times

Advertisements

A couple chickens running in the around yard will cure the centipedes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 PM

61 posts, read 131,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I'm in middle TN and have a problem with them too. I'm terrified of them! I have ceiling beams, and they drop down from the beams. I'm especially afraid during power outages. It seems like if we have a power outage at night and it's pitch dark, that's when they'll be on the beams and drop on whomever is sitting on the couch. I no longer sit on the couch during a power outage. I painted my beams white so I can see centipedes better. Gawd I hate centipedes! And this is coming from someone who usually likes bugs!

Do you have trees hanging over your roof? I do, and I wonder if that's why I have such a problem with them. I've had my house sprayed by an exterminator, but it doesn't seem to get rid of the centipedes.

Yikes! I think that I would have a heart attack if a centipede dropped down on me. This morning, one dropped off the roof, and onto the bathroom vanity. He ran across the whole length of the vanity, jumped onto the floor, and just stopped. I just about died!

There are several trees near the house. Lovely!

Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Goodness gracious. Now you all got me wigged out. I'm surprised I've never come across these nasty things in all of my 50 years.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,521,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie517 View Post
Yikes! I think that I would have a heart attack if a centipede dropped down on me.
My dad from out of state was visiting me once during a power outage at night. He was lying on the couch. I warned him about the centipedes coming out during power outages. He laughed it off. Until one dropped on him that very night. I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast.

The reason I wonder if trees have anything to do with it, is because I have more of them in the fall when the leaves are falling on my roof, and wondered if the centipedes are falling on the roof with the leaves. I also have a second smaller wave of them in the spring. One of my bigger trees hanging over the roof doesn't shed its leaves in the fall. Instead, those leaves drop in the spring when new leaves start to grow. So I have leaves falling on the roof in both the fall and spring, at the same time I get more centipedes.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,521,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

No Centipedes out here primarily due to the huge Lizard population. In fact, very few creepy critters overall.
Very glad to hear that, Bummer, as that's where I'll be moving soon. Now if I could only get over my fear of scorpions.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I literally have tons of leaves in my yard and a lot of them fall on the house. No centipedes that I've seen. But now you all have me nervous.

"Centipedes live in many different habitat types; forest, savannah, prairie, and desert to name a few. Some Geophilomorphs are adapted to littoral habitats, where they feed on barnacles. Species of all orders excluding Craterostigmomorpha have adapted to caves."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede

It looks like they are attracted to moist, dark places, although it is noted that they do thrive in the desert. I wonder if I don't ever see any since my house is always lit up like a Christmas tree.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM

30 posts, read 93,760 times
I have them here at Smoky Crossing in Seymour. I see them mainly by the front door, and also in the bathrooms. I wonder if they live/travel in the shower drains? I usually see one every couple of days in the shower.

I will say that where I come from, we had lots of "love bugs" in the spring and fall. Haven't seen any of those here. I would rather deal with centipedes than love bugs.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Are these "regular" centipedes or the "giant" kind?

We have these in the Austin area, usually outside, but occasionally inside.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 PM

30 posts, read 93,760 times
Wow. That is a giant! I guess maybe I am talking about millipedes. The ones that are about an inch long or maybe longer.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM

108 posts, read 198,551 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House