Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm glad I found this thread! Hubby kept telling me that I was smelling NOTHING but I knew I smelled it time and time again!

I finally started using bleach with the white clothes and towels and fabric softener with the darks and that helped. I never thought about leaving the door of the washer open, to dry out. I sure never had to do that with any other washers that I've owned and NEVER had this smell!

I'm very disappointed that we paid so much to get these front loaders and I'd much rather go back to my old washer and dryer! My only consolation is that I'm saving water.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:27 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Front loaders unlike top loaders are air and water tight, if you do not leave the door ajar when not in use the moisture in it will smell like a basement for lack of a better word, we have a front loader I have people talk about smell all the time. we leave the door cracked open when not in use and it can air and dry out and not get funky musty smelling. People who do have an odor tend to shut the door when not in use locking in moisture.

leave the door open ..

I was just thinking the same.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Smile Thats why they have professionalshttps://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Well, I'm glad I found this thread! Hubby kept telling me that I was smelling NOTHING but I knew I smelled it time and time again!

I finally started using bleach with the white clothes and towels and fabric softener with the darks and that helped. I never thought about leaving the door of the washer open, to dry out. I sure never had to do that with any other washers that I've owned and NEVER had this smell!

I'm very disappointed that we paid so much to get these front loaders and I'd much rather go back to my old washer and dryer! My only consolation is that I'm saving water.

Vicki

When buying appliances aways use a buyers agent. The store has one why shouldn't you. smile

Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

When buying appliances aways use a buyers agent. The store has one why shouldn't you. smile
Ha ha, TuborgP! I'm afraid when it comes to buying retail, whether its appliances or tv's, you are on your own! The sad part is that hubby did a bunch of research about washers and these were top rated. I guess they aren't made for people that put their wash in at midnight and then throw them into the dryer about noon the next day!!!

I have often thought that when its time to buy a new car, it would be so helpful to have a buyer's agent!!!

Vicki

Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I am strongly thinking about going back to top loader even though I am saving on water and detergent but I dont know if my OCD part will let me keep the front loader. Ours is by the bedroom so it drives me bonkers seeing that door open.
Especially late at night and I first hit my toe on the laundry room door then a nice kick of the knee on the unexpected washer door.

I tried to use some of the tips mention in this thread and it does help but leaving the door open or prewashing nothing just seems troublesome and I am always worried about bleach sitting in the bottom of the drum waiting on its next colored victim.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I love my front loader washer due to it uses less water and less detergent and the clothes come out less wet so less dryer time and electricity with that but I get a funk.

It a sour musty smell and I cannot figure out why it does this. I have to add fabric softner to the load in hopes it will fix the problem and I love the feature where I dont have to wait before rinse cycle begins to add it but I still get that funk.

My last option is adding scented dryer sheets but I want to know what the funk is

Anyone get the funk?
I had a front loader in England and my clothes REEKED of some weird funk. I examined the machine and found there was this gooey mold all along the rubber seal on the front of the machine. I cleaned that off (it stank to high heaven) and the smell got better but never went away. It's been many months since I left the UK and I'm now using a top-loader, but that smell has never completely left the clothes I brought back from the UK. I've tried everything I can think of except bleach, which would ruin the clothes.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
Front loaders are the PITS...I used one for years in the UK and hated it, and when I came back to America I was horrified that they were everywhere. Luckily the townhouse I'm living in won't fit those giant front loaders, so I'm using a top loader again and it's blisssssss....I love that if I find an errant sock under the bed right after I start the cycle, I can just lift the lid and toss it in.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Ok the mystery has been solved I know what is causing the funk.
I had this appliance man that I am friends with to come by and the problem is with the washing detergent.

One I always use liquid which is good but I have been using to much.

On normal washing detergent you only want to use about tenth of the cap and on HE detergents that are made for front loaders you only want to use a quarter of the cap despite what the container says to use.

What happens it builds up to much suds in the drum and it rots inside creating that funk.
If you are experiencing the funk buy Affresh.com: Affresh Home to take care of the problem

Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,775,091 times
** i did not read this entire thread to see if this had been mentioned already **

We had the repair guy out a year or so ago for my Maytag Neptune and we asked about the mold/stench

he told me what to do, and i think it was bleach and dishwashing detergent ... but then the key is to keep the door open when you are finished washing for the day, so the washer dries out and mold can not regrow.

it's a pain because you have to unplug it all the time, but so far so good, no mold has come back, hence, no stench.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
My front loader has a Bleach cycle.
You are supposed to run it every now and then with just a bit of bleach.
I've also heard that you are only supposed to use a teeny tiny bit of detergent, even less than the directions say.
Another strategy is the occasional "cleansing" load with Cascade or some sort of enzyme detergent.
Finally, I hear that you should use hot water every now and then, because it kills bacteria.
I'm pretty happy with my Bosch Next. My clothes are noticeably cleaner than they ever were with my old top loader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House