Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times

Advertisements

Had a large water leak under kitchen sink which I didn't discover for several days. Now the wood cabinets, which are unfinished underneath sink, have a mildew or mold smell that is getting overpowering. What can I do? I sprayed it with Lysol hoping it will kill anything growing under there, but didn't really do any good.

I saw an ad a month ago for some kind of spray that is suppose to fight mold problems, but I don't know what its called or in what situations its to be used in. I just saw a quick ad a couple times for it when I was on wunderground.com and now its not on there. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
A solution of bleach/water should kill mildew. You don't need fancy sprays.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
A solution of bleach/water should kill mildew. You don't need fancy sprays.

Won't that cause even more damage to the wood if I put even more water down on it? The side panel to the cabinet next to the sink now is warped and has visible water damage so seems like water is a no-no on wood.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Won't that cause even more damage to the wood if I put even more water down on it? The side panel to the cabinet next to the sink now is warped and has visible water damage so seems like water is a no-no on wood.
I wouldn't leave the water to sit on the wood.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Problem is wood is porous. If you spray it with anything, is it really getting into the wood and killing the mildew? Probably not. It's likely just on the surface. At this point the wood needs removed so bleach water and a good fan isn't going to hurt much and it might take the smell out better than the lysol.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
I'd spray the empty cabinet with a fine mist of straight (not diluted) bleach, let it soak in for awhile, then point a fan in there. After it was completely dry I'd clean the cabinet with orange oil on a sponge to dissipate the residual bleach smell. If you continue to smell mildew after the cabinet is dry, you might have mildew on the floorboards under the cabinet, which is likely if the leak was dripping slowly long before you discovered it.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 74,454 times
Default Mildew odor

I had a leak in my cabinet, the odor was awful. I painted the inside of the cabinet & floor with Kilz, thought that did it but it didn't. Still smells - any other ideas

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'd spray the empty cabinet with a fine mist of straight (not diluted) bleach
What she said.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 PM

250 posts, read 693,842 times
The very best thing I've ever found to get rid of household odors is a spray called Odoban. I used on the inside of the drawers and cabinet of an older wooden chest of drawers. It worked great. I sometimes see it at Walmart and can always find it at Home Depot.

If the cabinet is still wet, you can try spraying it on now as well as now and then as you are drying it with a fan - I agree with Jukesgrrl that you should point a fan into the cabinet until it is completely dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
...you might have mildew on the floorboards under the cabinet, which is likely if the leak was dripping slowly long before you discovered it.
I also agree that that you may have mildew under the cabinet. The Odoban may cover that smell, at least for a while, but you may eventually have to have those replaced, although I hope not.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 73,633 times
Use one cup of borax per gallon of water. Use a sponge or spray bottle. You don't need to rinse off, it will prevent more mold beginning to grow again. Bleach cannot completely kill mold/ stop it from growing. The chlorine in bleach will not penetrate a porous surface like wood. The chlorine stays on the surface and only the water in bleach (yes bleach has water in it) will absorb giving more moisture for the mold to grow on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House