Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:07 PM

839 posts, read 2,427,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
We ran cold water in the showers and facets upstairs until the sputtering stopped. Then, my husband tried the hot water in the sink and it sputtered...turned off hot, then turned on cold and no more sputtering. Next we flushed the toilet and my 3 year old immediatly covered his ears anticipating the horrible noise to follow and...nothing! The toilet just flushed with no loud sounds!

Now the sputtering is limited to hot water only.

I am very grateful to everyone for the advice.
I'm a plumber. I agree with the plumber who inspected your lines. I think it is highly unlikely that the problem is originating within your home. Water distribution piping is pressurized. If there is a hole, break, or crack on any pipe while under pressure water will spray out. The only way for air to enter the pipes is if water pressure is first shut off and a pipe is cut or broken allowing the air a place to get in.

It may seem that the problem is only with the hot, but it isn't. The reason that the air bleeds out faster on the cold side is that the water heater is acting like a tank on an air compressor, its giving the air that is introduced elsewhere a place to accumulate and pressurize.

Is your house higher than other homes in your neighborhood? The reason I ask is that air in a water distribution will eventually make it's way to the highest point in that system.

Not having personally inspected your plumbing, I can only make a guess, but what I suspect is that the water provider had a substantial break in a line that took quite a while to repair allowing a lot of air into the system.

That all said, I have observed only one instance of a water heater causing a problem similar to what you are describing without a visible leak. To be sure, call your plumber back out and ask him to temporarily disconnect your water heater and connect the hot and cold lines together. Open all the faucets and run the water until the sputtering stops. Give it a few hours (if you can stand the inconvenience) and see if the problem stops. If it does, the problem might actually be the water heater. I seriously doubt this is the problem though.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
What do you suggest for sputtering with only the hot water? Several days in a row the hot water heater was throwing a switch. We'd reset the switch and it was fine, now the water sputters when we run it and it is very hot! Thanks

Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 PM

17,546 posts, read 66,718,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsprague24 View Post
What do you suggest for sputtering with only the hot water? Several days in a row the hot water heater was throwing a switch. We'd reset the switch and it was fine, now the water sputters when we run it and it is very hot! Thanks

That sounds like a W/H about to explode! I'd shut it down and get a plumber out there ASAP!!!
Could be a combination of PRV, thermostat, TPRV, air lock, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House