Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times

Advertisements

My water company keeps sending me solicitations to sign up for their water/sewer line protection program that would cover me if the sewer or water line on my property broke and needed repair. Do most people have this coverage? Is this something that a typical homeowner's insurance policy would already cover? The $12 monthly price tag seems high to me. I live in an older neighborhood so I don't know if that puts me more at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My water company keeps sending me solicitations to sign up for their water/sewer line protection program that would cover me if the sewer or water line on my property broke and needed repair. Do most people have this coverage? Is this something that a typical homeowner's insurance policy would already cover? The $12 monthly price tag seems high to me. I live in an older neighborhood so I don't know if that puts me more at risk.
i get those also. i just replaced my water line due to buildup. the plumber that installed it used copper pipe instead of galvanized, then cased that in PVC. he didn't seem to think it'd be worth it. it's for if a tree root punctures your pipe or the pipe freezes and cracks. i don't believe homeowner's covers it, but i agree the price tag seemed steep and we get the same soliciations.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Most homeowners insurance policies have fine print that specifically excludes damage caused by sewer line backups. Check your own policy to verify this. Homeowners insurance never covers replacing a broken water supply line. As to whether this insurance is worth it, only you can answer that. From a financial perspective, this type of insurance (which is really a warranty) is almost never worth it. But if it helps you sleep better at night, then it might be a worthwhile expense for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Most insurance policies will offer a rider to cover sewer and sump pump back up in your house but NOT outside of your house-the line from the street to your house is still your responsibility. If you live in an older area that doesn't have a cast iron or PVC pipes and a lot of trees, it might be worth $12/month?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
From my experience, insurance will pay for water damage caused by a broken pipe, but will not pay to fix the pipes. We had a leak in our baseboard hot water heating system. Initially, the insurance company wasn't going to pay any of the plumbing bill, but after talking with the adjuster, he allowed a good portion of the bill for the plumber locating the problem leak and denied a small portion as the actual pipe repair cost.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM

just as a point of reference, to replace my line from the house to the main, with a decent amount of front yard digging (depth, not distance), it cost me $3,500. another plumber quoted me $4,400. but using a friend of a friend, i got a much better deal. i did mine for water pressure reasons because of the buildup. so at $12/month, if they really do cover the full cost of replacement if it breaks...that's $144/yr...it's probably not a horrible expense. even over the course of 10 years, you've paid $1,440 (adjust for future value calc if you'd like).

maybe just put $12/month into a seperate savings account, and have some of the cost saved if it ever happens?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
just as a point of reference, to replace my line from the house to the main, with a decent amount of front yard digging (depth, not distance), it cost me $3,500. another plumber quoted me $4,400. but using a friend of a friend, i got a much better deal. i did mine for water pressure reasons because of the buildup. so at $12/month, if they really do cover the full cost of replacement if it breaks...that's $144/yr...it's probably not a horrible expense. even over the course of 10 years, you've paid $1,440 (adjust for future value calc if you'd like).

maybe just put $12/month into a seperate savings account, and have some of the cost saved if it ever happens?
Well, in theory, if the line is going to break in 10 years, that will work, but what if it breaks in 2 months? $24 won't go very far. Also, not everyone has a friend of a friend. Averaging the 2 bids you gave us plus the $1440 that averages out to about $3100 comes to 21.5 years of paying $12/month to break even on one repair. The likelihood of a sewer line that is already old needing repair in the next 20 years is pretty good. That would be a gamble I would take and sign up for the plan if you didn't have the funds set aside to cover a repair already.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, in theory, if the line is going to break in 10 years, that will work, but what if it breaks in 2 months? $24 won't go very far. Also, not everyone has a friend of a friend. Averaging the 2 bids you gave us plus the $1440 that averages out to about $3100 comes to 21.5 years of paying $12/month to break even on one repair. The likelihood of a sewer line that is already old needing repair in the next 20 years is pretty good. That would be a gamble I would take and sign up for the plan if you didn't have the funds set aside to cover a repair already.
the OP happens to live in the same town as me...so he has a friend of a friend of a friend...if he ever needs it!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is all assuming that the warranty covers everything 100% without exclusions. Anyone who has had experience with home warranties knows otherwise. What you usually end up with is long wait times for repairs, many things not being covered and/or surcharges, in addition to having to pay a deductible of $50 or $100. As with any contract, read the fine print very carefully!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,271 times
For what it's worth, I've owned residential and commercial property for over 30 years and the only sewer or water line I've had to deal with was the water line installed in my own house. It was built in 1910 or thereabouts and I had to replace the old lead water line and street tap in 1997 - not because they failed but because I put in a lawn irrigation system and needed a bigger service. And yes, we used lead filters then and still use filters now...so don't worry about me poisoning myself or family. We had it jacked in and not excavated - only required a hole in the street and a hole in the basement floor. The price for about 85' to 90' of 2" copper, tap, curbstop, and shutoff in the basement was was $1250.00. Divide that by 30 years and it's $40 a year, give or take. Guess I've been lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House