Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,999,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
This is all assuming that the warranty covers everything 100% without exclusions. Anyone who has had experience with home warranties knows otherwise. What you usually end up with is long wait times for repairs, many things not being covered and/or surcharges, in addition to having to pay a deductible of $50 or $100. As with any contract, read the fine print very carefully!
This.

The thing is, if they end up just patching the repair each time and major stuff like concrete removal isn't part of the deal, then I don't see that much value in it.

When I first moved in, I had one leak to repair. Parts cost, $12. Labor - dig a hole 2' deep to reach it, cut, and install the coupler. When it leaked again a few months ago, I did an underground replacement. Quotes were $3k-$4k for PEX. I did it myself including new tools for about $400 ($200 of that was for the 1" Ridgid PEX crimper alone, all to make 2 crimps). The fun part for me was hand digging the yard ... my lot slopes, so while the underground is only 12" deep at the house, it's 4' deep by the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House