Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

I am working on trying to solve a lack of cold water pressure in my shower faucet issue. A really strange thing happens. Even though I shut the water main off to work on the faucet, cold water continues to flow at a good (not full) rate for one half hour with no sign of stopping.

The hot water stops though.

How long does it take for water to drain out of the house pipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Even though I shut the water main off to work on the faucet, cold water continues to flow...
How long does it take for water to drain out of the house pipes?
flowing implies that the "main valve" isn't closing all the way.

Turn Off Your Water Meter - YouTube

Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
If the hot water stops, the main is closed. If there are valves at the hot water tank, close them and see if that solves the problem. Also - whenever turning water off, cut the circuit breaker to the hot water tank first.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
The time it takes to drain out depends on how many fixtures you have, how tall the house is, and how many feet of pipes are in the house. You can also open an outside faucet and go to the highest bathroom in the house and turn on a faucet. This will speed up the system draining. It can take quite a while.

You didn't mention if you turned off the main valve in or under the house, or the one at the water meter in the street. Sometimes the valves (in the house) do not cut the flow off entirely, but the street valve will usually cut if off, as long as you have turned the valve far enough.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
The time it takes to drain out depends on how many fixtures you have, how tall the house is, and how many feet of pipes are in the house. You can also open an outside faucet and go to the highest bathroom in the house and turn on a faucet. This will speed up the system draining. It can take quite a while.

You didn't mention if you turned off the main valve in or under the house, or the one at the water meter in the street. Sometimes the valves (in the house) do not cut the flow off entirely, but the street valve will usually cut if off, as long as you have turned the valve far enough.
I did the one in the house. Maybe I should have done it from the street.

I have given up on the repair anyhow and will hire a plumber. I have wasted too much time already.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

235 posts, read 1,577,917 times
All you have to do is give me a call, will stop by for free to help ya out!! Monday I will be way south (Nokomis, Fl), Tuesday-Tampa early then ??

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
All you have to do is give me a call, will stop by for free to help ya out!! Monday I will be way south (Nokomis, Fl), Tuesday-Tampa early then ??
I just sent you an email to your business email.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 64,622 times
turned water off at house. water continues to drip in the bathtub and in the kitchen. when turning water back on, water continues to run in bathtub, but kitchen sink stops dripping. any thoughts as to what is causing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House