Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times

Advertisements

Here is the KEY phrase, 'Incomplete combustion of organic materials'. So if you have propane, natural gas, wood, kerosene, small motor in your house you could be getting carbon monoxide. Please don't be stupid get all of your appliances checked if they use any of the fuels I listed(Not a comprehensive list, many other items cause CO to accumulate) Please be safe and fear not the cost of getting it right, nothing will replace you or your loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times
Continued from my previous post: That being said if you are getting consistent alarms and have replaced your current alarms and followed all of the 'Good' advice from previous posts(fire dept, electricians, plumbers, ect.) just breath deeply and hope for the best.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,095,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
Last winter while using my fireplace, the smoke alarm and CM detector would randomly activate for a few seconds. Changed batteries in SA but it continued to randomly sound even if nothing in fireplace. I purchased a new SA and it too randomly activated. I searched the house looking for the cause but can't find anything. Research showed that a SA can randomly be activated by dust particles created by air movement. Finding no source, I disabled the SM. The CM however continued to randomly activate for only a few seconds. Now its summer and the CM is continuing to activate at random. I purchased a new one. It too is randomly activating. I have propane heat but haven't used it in months. Obliviosly no fireplace in this heat. The kitchen stove is propane with an electronic ignition and it used very little anyway. The hot water is electric. The dryer is propane with electronics. Have a garage but the car is in fact shut off. I don’t use a grill in the house. No burning of anything in the house, yet both the old and new CM are randomly activating. Both are battery operated. Neither the wife or I are suffering any of the symptoms of CO poisoning.

I have tried all the Internet ideas to include replacement. I live in the country with no close neighbors. The house is clearly not on fire. There are three potential sources of combustion, kitchen stove, dryer and furnace. All with electronic starters. Would it be possible that the jeep in the garage could be releasing residual CO? The old CO alarm has sounded twice while typing this. Anyone have any ideas of what to do next?

Thanks

This doesn't sound "random" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House