Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

I've a chance to buy a used car as above.

It's an LX model, four-door sedan, automatic, and has truly been driven by a little old lady (it belongs to a friend's Mom). Hondas have a great reputation, but I wondered if anyone has advice on what to check out on this car? Never owned a Honda before. I will ask for service records and see if I can take to our mechanic for a going-over.

Other than that, any advice for me?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 26,190 times
how much is the car? get it checked out by a mechanic.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Waiting to find out price and mileage...and yes, I will take it to our mechanic..but wondered if there are any special problems to look out for?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM

You can Google common issues with that model and car. Something should pop up. There are also detailed list to look for in every car during inspection. Are you financing or paying cash?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the Google tip. Not sure what the financing question has to do with the dependability/performance or mechanical issues...so don't feel a need to answer it.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:01 AM

If your financing then you should get pre approved first before looking to buy. Some companies ( big banks such as bank of america, capital one etc) don't finance certain cars . That car is 9 years old, so it may be hard to finance with these legitimate companies. Also some don't finance over certain mileage.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
That model civic is an awesome car. They are very reliable and if it was "babied" then its even better. I know someone who has a similar model but 2 door with a 5 spd and by accident the oil change place didn't tighten the drain plug all the way and it loosened after a few hundred miles and all the oil drained out. She drove it 60 miles with very little oil and it started to make a funny noise and her oil light came on. She pulled over and called a tow truck. Ended up just tightening the drain plug and put 4 qts of oil and it fired right up with no rod or lifter noises.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM

408 posts, read 997,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've a chance to buy a used car as above.

It's an LX model, four-door sedan, automatic, and has truly been driven by a little old lady (it belongs to a friend's Mom). Hondas have a great reputation, but I wondered if anyone has advice on what to check out on this car? Never owned a Honda before. I will ask for service records and see if I can take to our mechanic for a going-over.

Other than that, any advice for me?

Many thanks.
My mom has a 2005 LX automatic sedan in dark grey. It's a fine car, and she hasn't had a lot of problems with it I suppose. She claims her 1997 Civic LX automatic was better quality. She has complained about the '05 having a weaker A/C system and the power isn't as good on hotter days -- it takes longer to "start up" and finally cool the car down. Her front headlight bulb just went out as well. I cannot think of any other major repairs she's had to be honest. She does regular maintenance, has a rather short suburban commute, and does not drive wildly.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks, all. We'll be test driving it in a few days. My friend sent some photos. It's a pretty light gold. Only con is it has two small scrapes on front and rear bumpers. Very minor. Mom is elderly and backed into and drove into a couple of obstructions in Walmart parking lot.

Car has had regular oil changes, no mechanical problems a CD player...newish tires..A/C and heat work and best of all...62,000 miles.

Even better, friend is offering car to us for $6500 because of bumper dings. If it drives well, we'll likely go for it. That's well below KBB price for that car/model/year in fair condition..and this one seems more good than fair.

I can live with the bumper dings..saves me the trouble of putting my own there..lol. Actually, my 14 year old Focus has nary a ding or scrape. But the paint is falling off in big patches and its got more rattles and vibrations than a toy store. The rattles drive me bonkers....

Cash deal if we go for the Honda.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:35 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
I had a 2005 two-door and loved it. It was rock-solid and didn't give me a bit of trouble over 5 years and 90,000 miles-- and when I sold it, I was amazed at how much people were willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura