Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 PM

728 posts, read 1,900,539 times

Advertisements

My GF had a 2007 and the A/C conked out at just below 100K miles. I guess it's really hit and miss with Honda these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
That model civic is an awesome car. They are very reliable and if it was "babied" then its even better. I know someone who has a similar model but 2 door with a 5 spd and by accident the oil change place didn't tighten the drain plug all the way and it loosened after a few hundred miles and all the oil drained out. She drove it 60 miles with very little oil and it started to make a funny noise and her oil light came on. She pulled over and called a tow truck. Ended up just tightening the drain plug and put 4 qts of oil and it fired right up with no rod or lifter noises.
No rod noises now, but they can be expected some unknown time down the road.

Don in Austin

Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Car has had regular oil changes, no mechanical problems a CD player...newish tires..A/C and heat work and best of all...62,000 miles.

$6500 because of bumper dings. That's well below KBB price for that car/model/year in fair condition..and this one seems more good than fair.

$6,500 for an 05 civic with only 62,000 miles & only a couple bumper dings? Buy it, buy it now. Even if you don't like it, you could easily sell it yourself next year for more than that price. 05 was the last year in that generation of civics so if there were any problems then Honda likely worked them out. Used civics are pricey. To give you an idea, I'm having trouble finding a used 06 civic under 110,000 miles for under $7900 online.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
$6,500 for an 05 civic with only 62,000 miles & only a couple bumper dings? Buy it, buy it now. Even if you don't like it, you could easily sell it yourself next year for more than that price. 05 was the last year in that generation of civics so if there were any problems then Honda likely worked them out. Used civics are pricey. To give you an idea, I'm having trouble finding a used 06 civic under 110,000 miles for under $7900 online.
Agreed. That's an awesome price for a car that can easily go 250K+.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Well, thanks, all! I know it's an attractive price--been looking for a while online.

One concern I have, maybe it's not a problem, but the car's never been driven above 40 MPH-- only been driven on surface streets..never at freeway speeds. It's gone from older woman's home to grocery stores and to daughter's home. Short trips, under 20 miles round-trip.

Hoping that doesn't mean lots of crud build-up that might be problematic. Can I tell from a test drive if it's got some kind of build-up?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,049,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've a chance to buy a used car as above.

It's an LX model, four-door sedan, automatic, and has truly been driven by a little old lady (it belongs to a friend's Mom). Hondas have a great reputation, but I wondered if anyone has advice on what to check out on this car? Never owned a Honda before. I will ask for service records and see if I can take to our mechanic for a going-over.

Other than that, any advice for me?

Many thanks.
It's a fine car, with very few problems. If the price is right, you're good.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:28 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,049,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
That model civic is an awesome car. They are very reliable and if it was "babied" then its even better. I know someone who has a similar model but 2 door with a 5 spd and by accident the oil change place didn't tighten the drain plug all the way and it loosened after a few hundred miles and all the oil drained out. She drove it 60 miles with very little oil and it started to make a funny noise and her oil light came on. She pulled over and called a tow truck. Ended up just tightening the drain plug and put 4 qts of oil and it fired right up with no rod or lifter noises.
Pity the chump that buys that car off your friend. It WILL die an early death.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Well, we did the deed, the lightly used 2005 Civic is ours. We really liked its driving and handling. MUCH quieter than the Focus...and way fewer rattles..in fact none we heard. Seemed tight...I like the simplicity of the dashboard...too many lights and bells and whistles distract me.

Wish us luck? Thank you all.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
My mom has a 2005 LX automatic sedan in dark grey. It's a fine car, and she hasn't had a lot of problems with it I suppose. She claims her 1997 Civic LX automatic was better quality. She has complained about the '05 having a weaker A/C system and the power isn't as good on hotter days -- it takes longer to "start up" and finally cool the car down. Her front headlight bulb just went out as well. I cannot think of any other major repairs she's had to be honest. She does regular maintenance, has a rather short suburban commute, and does not drive wildly.
To the OP - should be a great car. Just have it checked by a mechanic to make sure it hasn't been abused. They also have high (excellent) crash test scores!

Aerio - I agree with your momma, the '97 Civics seem to have had a higher quality interior than the '05. That was before the Japanese cars started going down on interior quality. The '05 Civic has a much better off-set crash test than the '97 however.

'97 Civic

http://www.iihs.org/frontend/iihs/ra...OjJ9&width=400

'05 Civic

http://www.iihs.org/frontend/iihs/ra...OjJ9&width=400

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Pity the chump that buys that car off your friend. It WILL die an early death.
+1 One of your better posts!

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura