Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,631,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
The car is counts towards your total income. So if you earned $20,000 this year at your regular job, and won a car valued at $21,500, your total income for the year is $41,500, this could be enough to push you into the next tax bracket. Also when your tax bills comes due, probably somewhere around $5,000, and the IRS wants it's money within 120 days. Most likely you'll have to get on a payment plan with the IRS to pay off the taxes over time. It's certainly less than making payments on a new car loan at $21,500, it's it not exactly a free car either.

I'm sensing a bit of attitude here. TS won a car, be happy for the guy. He knows his stuff and is a big boy. He can figure out his taxes. Guess what he won a car, say something like Congratulations!

Sheesh people, lighten up on the whole "you still owe taxes" deal, the car was free. Yes the IRS will get there hands in this but TS can deal with that.

Congrats again TS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,216,891 times
He should quickly put the title of the car in one of his kids names and then he wont owe any tax.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM

102,264 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Hey, has anyone studied the ratings for Hondas the last few years? A friend of mine read Consumer Reports and Car and Driver, and said they both said emphatically, "Do Not Buy" Hondas after year 2008. Apparently Honda started to go soft on quality?? I don't mean to take the wind out of the OP's sails, I think a Honda is probably still better than any American brand, but what's the scoop on the more recent models? I'm hoping what my friend says isn't true, because I've been very impressed with Hondas. I gave up Toyotas for Hondas, but I'm wondering what my next purchase should be, when that time comes.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,273,605 times
Thanks for all of the nice comments and congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I could use a new car. Maybe I can find a contest to enter.
You really should! You never know, I never dreamed I would win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm sensing a bit of attitude here. TS won a car, be happy for the guy. He knows his stuff and is a big boy. He can figure out his taxes. Guess what he won a car, say something like Congratulations!

Sheesh people, lighten up on the whole "you still owe taxes" deal, the car was free. Yes the IRS will get there hands in this but TS can deal with that.

Congrats again TS
lol, yeah, that is what I was thinking too, oh well. lol. Yeah, I should be able to cover it fine, I have some assets I am selling anyway (I have too many cars and need to sell at least one or two) and if that don't cover it, my dad said he would pay it for me anyway, so I guess I am all set. lol. Thanks again JoshB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
He should quickly put the title of the car in one of his kids names and then he wont owe any tax.
I don't have any children, but its OK, I have it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, has anyone studied the ratings for Hondas the last few years? A friend of mine read Consumer Reports and Car and Driver, and said they both said emphatically, "Do Not Buy" Hondas after year 2008. Apparently Honda started to go soft on quality?? I don't mean to take the wind out of the OP's sails, I think a Honda is probably still better than any American brand, but what's the scoop on the more recent models? I'm hoping what my friend says isn't true, because I've been very impressed with Hondas. I gave up Toyotas for Hondas, but I'm wondering what my next purchase should be, when that time comes.
Well I have some friends with some '08 Hondas and '09 Hondas and never heard of any issues. Its a known fact though that most all Japanese automakers slipped on quality in the late 2000's (especially Toyota I have heard), but have picked back up over the past couple of years and especially this past year as many are scrambling to get quality back in the game. The latest Accord is very solid and well built car with interior quality back in the picture. The Civic for '12 had some complaints, but for '13 they did some revisions that made the car more upscale by adding more padding. My car still seems well built and very solid and safe, so I am not going to complain. Besides it was a free car and I didn't have a choice other than this Civic and a '12 Corolla, which is even more bland and had a really cheap looking interior, but I would have been happy with it as well. It was free and I am blessed to have won it.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,443,863 times
I won a car back in 1999 and still have the IRS chasing me to this day for miscalculations in taxes...

Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,273,605 times
Well I am going to let a tax expert handle mine, so if any chasing gets done, they can chase them.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,103 times
Those IRS bloodusckers are real dweebs, aren't they??? Like everything else they pass rules on, most of them are incomprehensible and then some, such as how to write off a car you donate to charity.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,690,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Those IRS bloodusckers are real dweebs, aren't they??? Like everything else they pass rules on, most of them are incomprehensible and then some, such as how to write off a car you donate to charity.
I know this isn't the politics forum, but what's so incomprehensible about this? The OP just had some income, why shouldn't it be taxed?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,815,669 times
WOW congratz and happy driving

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,729,226 times
I have a 2011 Honda Civic and love it dearly. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever, so I question Consumer Reports on what they said about Honda's quality. My father drives a 2010 Honda Accord, and he also loves his car-- he hasn't had any problems with it either.

TS, congratulations! You absolutely deserve it. Don't let anybody rain on your parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura