Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law recently loaned me a book that describes what color choices interior designers choose in paints. Right now, I am looking at the following:

Farrow & Ball: Light Blue 22

Benjamin Moore: Glass Slipper, Lookout Point 1646, Summer Shower 2135-60, Sweet Dreams 847, Blue Angel 2058-70, Wedgewood Gray HC-146

Ralph Lauren: Basalt VM121

This would be for my (apparently controversial lol) kitchen, so figure white cabinets, soapstone counter, undecided on backsplash as of yet. I'd also like it to flow into my dining room, which has white wainscoating. The tricky thing is, the kitchen doesn't get a ton of natural light (there's a screened in porch blocking the eastern light, but it does get some light from the livingroom, and from the dining room.

Any opinions, or reccomendations on paint that you've used? I feel like I always see gorgeous paint colors in the various kitchens I see online, but no one ever thinks to post which paint they used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
My mother-in-law recently loaned me a book that describes what color choices interior designers choose in paints. Right now, I am looking at the following:

Farrow & Ball: Light Blue 22

Benjamin Moore: Glass Slipper, Lookout Point 1646, Summer Shower 2135-60, Sweet Dreams 847, Blue Angel 2058-70, Wedgewood Gray HC-146

Ralph Lauren: Basalt VM121

This would be for my (apparently controversial lol) kitchen, so figure white cabinets, soapstone counter, undecided on backsplash as of yet. I'd also like it to flow into my dining room, which has white wainscoating. The tricky thing is, the kitchen doesn't get a ton of natural light (there's a screened in porch blocking the eastern light, but it does get some light from the livingroom, and from the dining room.

Any opinions, or reccomendations on paint that you've used? I feel like I always see gorgeous paint colors in the various kitchens I see online, but no one ever thinks to post which paint they used.
Well, with Benjamin Moore and Farrow and Ball you can't really go wrong.

I happen to like Wedgewood Gray, but I think it's a little too dark for the look you're going for. If you wanted to stick with a historical color, I would pick Palladian Blue HC 144. But my top recommendation would be Silver Mist 1619. In the Benjamin Moore Aura, I like AF 540 Constellation and 545 Solitude.

On the Farrow and Ball side, I like Light Blue, Pavillion Gray, and Lamp Room Gray.

Pratt and Lambert has a color called Nelson Archway Blue and it would compliment your choices very well.

For your backsplash, I think either white or marble subway tile would work. If the marble isn't in your budget, the regular white subway tiles will be classic and they also won't cost you a lot of money.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,835 times
try bm colorado gray too

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
This would be for my (apparently controversial lol) kitchen, so figure white cabinets, soapstone counter, undecided on backsplash as of yet.
I don't know why that's controversial. Blue would look nice with white cabinets and soapstone counters.

Quote:
The tricky thing is, the kitchen doesn't get a ton of natural light (there's a screened in porch blocking the eastern light, but it does get some light from the livingroom, and from the dining room.
This will be the problem with any blue. Rooms with limited natural light need warm colors to brighten them up. My kitchen gets northern and eastern light and I pained it blue eight years ago. It was so cold and stark.

Quote:
Any opinions, or reccomendations on paint that you've used? .
When putting blue in a room with northern or eastern light, it's really important to test the color first. Don't just go by the paint chips. Pick your three favorite paints and buy the smallest portion. Paint each color at least 1' x 1' square on each wall. Leave it there for a few weeks to see how each color looks with the light hitting it throughout the day at different angles on different walls. That will help you chose the blue you like best.

It might sound like I don't like blue. That's not true. It's my favorite color! I decorated my house in blue and learned a lot from it. Blue doesn't work well in rooms that get limited light. And blue limits your future decorating options in rooms like bedrooms. I can't wait until I have the money to replace the blue carpeting in my bedroom. I'm tired of the limited options for comforters, bedspreads, curtains, etc.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
penn and fisher, thanks for the recommendations, will check out the colors

Hopes, thank you for the wonderful insight! I'm really trying to envision something where I can make this work, haha. The kitchen shares the eastern wall with the family room, which I was considering doing in a tan/beige color, and maybe extending that color to the eastern kitchen wall (the eat-in section, there is no divider). The family room also gets some southern light, so that *should* be a brighter room. The kitchen will also be getting western light from the dining room (which is a separate room, with a doorway to the kitchen, it just won't be as big of an influence as the family room.

Will carrying over some of (whatever color I end up choosing for the family room) help "warm up" the kitchen if I carry it onto the shared wall? Any recommendations for a good warm color that might go well with the blue? Or is this a hopeless cause?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
It's not a hopeless cause. Whatever you do, don't pick blue for permanent items like countertop, back splash, flooring or cabinets. It will cost too much money to replace. Stick with painting your walls blue. You can always repaint if you end up hating it. You might like to use blue on just an accent wall in the kitchen if the blue is dark. Regardless, it's always a good idea to carry over color from another room just so the house flows better and feels larger.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,674 times
I used "surreal grey" from Home Depot for a greyish-blue color that looks Pottery Barnish. It took several tries to get what I was looking for.
It looks similar to this color, only slightly darker. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...ink%2Dconsoles

Last edited by Prple; 05-20-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 47,101 times
Hi StarryEyedSurprise,
It's very obvious that while decorating our house we get varieties of suggestions and thus we get confused, so i would suggest you to follow some great tips so that you could plan better as per the situation or environment.
Colour Guide & Colour Tips from Asian Paints

Regards
Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating