Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

We are building a house and we will be ready to paint very soon. I need some help with colors. I need to stay light because we don't have much natural light. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We are building a house and we will be ready to paint very soon. I need some help with colors. I need to stay light because we don't have much natural light. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Lisa
It is really best if you could find someone there locally to help you. You need to beable to look at your interior with the color choice to make sure they go with counters, floorings, cabinets, upholsterey, ect. this is not the answer you are looking for I am sure. You can always go with off white/beige and once you are in for awhile you will get a "feel" for what direction you want to go. Sometimes it is better to do this than make color choices and regret them once everything is moved in and in place. Good Luck

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
I really like light yellow. I just painted my livingroom light yellow and it really looks great because it's so cheerful. Another color I've seen used at Homerama and decorating sites is light green. I was amazed at how nice rooms can look when painted light green. My DH is partial to light blue in the master bedroom.
Pick what you like and I'm sure it will work for you.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I really like light yellow. I just painted my livingroom light yellow and it really looks great because it's so cheerful. Another color I've seen used at Homerama and decorating sites is light green. I was amazed at how nice rooms can look when painted light green. My DH is partial to light blue in the master bedroom.
Pick what you like and I'm sure it will work for you.
I like light yellow also(at least some shades). I don't think I can talk Mike into yellow. What is the name and brand of the yellow you used?

Lisa

Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I always like these cards that behr has to help think of a color scheme that goes with the whole room and what you have furni wise:
Behr.com Explore Color

Inside I like: Antique White, brown Toned creams, Robin Egg Blue, Sea pearl blue
(all satin finish, Behr or Olympic Brand, Zinesser primer as base)

Check this part out too:
Home Interior Design - Interior Decorating Ideas - Color Design

Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
When I don't know what else to do, I like Benjamin Moore's Philadelphia cream. It goes to the creamy yellows, not the pink beiges or browns. The cream works better w/ palettes I like so when I am in doubt - I go w/ Philadelphia cream. I like a very white white, not an off white for trim, mouldings, doors, etc.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
I like a white just barely tinged with a rose hint. Trim is either stained or painted white white semi gloss. The resulting room glows like a rosy twilight without anyone knowing why. People look good in a room reflecting a slight rose instead of the sallow colors that beige and yellows reflect. The room seems larger and brighter. I always get complements on this color.

I got the idea on one of those evenings when the whole world just glowed with a little rose tint instead of the usual yellow twilight.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I like
SW Blonde
BM Powell Buff
Shaker Beige (can't remember if it is SW or BM)

The first two are more on the yellow side the last is more brown

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Warm soft yellows - a couple of my favorites are Benjamin Moore:
Concord Ivory (#HC-12) more in the golden/maize family
Vanilla Ice Cream ((#2154-70) creamy beige yellow

Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Thank you everyone.

Now it's off to the paint stores to get samples.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating