Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,518,285 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house with 6 large plate glass windows (approx. 4' x 6') across the upper level of the front of the house. They are awesome in the winter. I hardly have to turn on the heat but I need to find a solution for when the weather gets hot. I don't know whether some type of blinds would work better or curtains with sun blocking liners. Also, I was wondering how much more motorized blinds are since the windows are about 18' high on the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM

17,483 posts, read 66,211,137 times
There's all kinds of blackout shades available from different manufacturers. And most can be motorized. The bigger issue is actually getting the power where you need it- that can get expensive.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,614,083 times
I live in S. Florida and am looking for Bermuda shuttes, Bahama shutters, key west shutters. They have many names. They are shutters attached to the Outside of the house and can be adjusted by way of rods on each side to vary the angle of the shutter and in time of storm can be latched flat against the house. Now they are made of aluminum. I can't seem to find who makes these locally in Port St Lucie Florida. Whadda youse call these things?
Sid

Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM

17,483 posts, read 66,211,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I live in S. Florida and am looking for Bermuda shuttes, Bahama shutters, key west shutters. They have many names. They are shutters attached to the Outside of the house and can be adjusted by way of rods on each side to vary the angle of the shutter and in time of storm can be latched flat against the house. Now they are made of aluminum. I can't seem to find who makes these locally in Port St Lucie Florida. Whadda youse call these things?
Sid
Bahama shutters-

Bahama Hurricane Shutters - Aluminum, Clear, Protexan, Lexan Hurricane Panel

Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
We have roller solar shades on our patio door. I LOVE them. They do a great job blocking out the sun but you can still see out of them unlike blinds or drapes. They come in various levels of blocking ability-we got the middle one. I'm sure they have a motorized option otherwise they are on a continuous loop cord that you could run down the wall. Our's is set up to add more length to the cord as needed--like an old chain key ring where you snap the end ball into that connector piece (great description I know)

Found a photo;

Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM

44 posts, read 239,107 times
Motorized cellular shades would be a good option. They run on double a batteries (no wiring required) or they can be hard wired into your wall which does required a electrician. They are one of the best insulators on the market and when drawn up they only take up a couple of inches, so they are not too noticeable. You can operate them one at a time or all at once. Cost wise they are more expensive but it's easy to find out just how much by going to a online retailer and plugging in your sizes for motorized cellular shades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating