Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,484 times

Advertisements

I have 4 windows adjoining each other on a wall - they are individual windows, and there is a 1/2 inch of wallboard between each but they take up much of the wall.

I am thinking about putting 2" wood blinds up in an oak or cherry color that require an outside mount. The window molding around the window is about 2.5 inches and is painted a cream color. The wallboard between the windows is white.

My question is how wide should I make the blinds?

Should I make them cover the window molding completely so you only see the 1/2 of wall board between the windows?
or should I make them only window width so I see the window molding?
or should I make them cover about an inch of the molding so you see about an inch of window molding and the space between the windows?

thoughts would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Each window has its own molding around it? I think you should install them inside the window frame ( the "normal" way you install blinds) and show the molding around it.

This:

not that:

without molding:
http://blog.blinds.com/.a/6a00e553d217f588330134852a856c970c-800wi (broken link)
http://blog.blinds.com/the_finishing_touch/window_treatments/page/2/ (broken link)

Last edited by elnina; 03-01-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,303 times
You probably can't buy a single blind that is long enough to cover all four windows and that's too bad because opening four separate blinds is a pain.

If it were me and I could get ONE big blind, I would. If you can't get one, you pretty much have to get 4.

If you only make them as wide as the glass, you may get light coming around the sides. If that consideration does not control your decision, I think you should find pictures that show the various options and go with the look you like. Maybe stop in a blind store. They probably have lots of pictures.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I like the seperate blinds like the pictures. There might be a time when only one blind is needed to be opened or closed... but it is also a personal choice of what you like to look at better.

I like the 3rd picture, i like the look of that.....

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
IMO, the middle picture looks tacky.

I prefer separate blinds for each window.

If you want a continuous look with the blinds, you need to buy ONE BLIND that's big enough to cover all windows.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,484 times
I measured and I cannot do an inside mount - I only have 3/4" clearance and they require 1 1/4 inch.

So I have to do some sort of outside mount. I like the look of #1 too. So I just jumped in and ordered a width because it came with 'free measuring insurance' and they allow a 1-time switch if I 'measured' wrong. I decided to show molding all around instead of covering up the entire window/molding since I liked that look. I'll see how it looks with an outside mount - if it is terrible then I might widen them all to cover the whole window.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
You probably can't buy a single blind that is long enough to cover all four windows and that's too bad because opening four separate blinds is a pain.

If it were me and I could get ONE big blind, I would. If you can't get one, you pretty much have to get 4.

If you only make them as wide as the glass, you may get light coming around the sides. If that consideration does not control your decision, I think you should find pictures that show the various options and go with the look you like. Maybe stop in a blind store. They probably have lots of pictures.
I think the largest I've seen in a faux wood blind is 72x72. The 8' and 10' blinds are meant for exterior use, and are cheap plastic. I pack those out at work, and I don't recall any faux wood blinds much taller than me.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
What you should probably do is order multiple blinds on one header. The hardware on the blinds will prevent you from having them touch completely and you will just end up with small gaps and it will look silly. I have yet to come across a window that can't handle an inside mount blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating