Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,611 times

Advertisements

Hi can you help me decide.
My new apartment is painted in bright white and use red as an accent colour. I would like to keep this theme the problem/s are that my windows are quite large approx 2.5 metres +2 metres.
I was thinking of black &red venetian windows as the accent colour inserted in the window frames there are 4 of them.
I greatly appreciate any feedback .Also I would like to make a modern look so I hope the black and red panels for the blinds wouldnt make it a bit dated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Why not go with white for the blinds and for the color pick a sheer or drape?
That way if the red is dated or just too loud for the space you only spent the money on a cheapy sheer.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Why not go with white for the blinds and for the color pick a sheer or drape?
That way if the red is dated or just too loud for the space you only spent the money on a cheapy sheer.
I think you'll be sorry if you choose colored blinds. It will totally limit any redecorating in the future. I'd go with white blinds and, as the above poster said, add color with window treatments. From outside your home, all visible blinds/shades should match and be neutral.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
I'd stick with white or light wood blinds for all the same reasons as posted above. You would still achieve the modern look, but not overdo the design you're seeking, and you wouldn't be limiting your future creativity.

How a window treatment looks from the outside does matter. I put up a multi-colored horizontally-striped sheer over my blinds in my den not thinking about what it looked like from the outside. Oh ick what an eyesore! Fortunately the window is on the side of my house and only my neighbor sees it (and fortunately they're good about it and we laugh about my design booboo.)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I agree. Oh please don't do the colored blinds. You want your window blinds to disappear, not to draw attention to themselves. They are like the underware in a room...necessary, but not to be seen under your beautiful outfit.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 PM

955 posts, read 3,649,321 times
I would not do colored blinds -

1) you may tire of them
2) light shining through may color the room
3) you could accent them with any color drapes / sheers etc and change them at anytime.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:52 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I did do the colored blind thing a while ago, all charcoal gray and about 15 slats up I had 1 black 2 red then 1 black and the rest all the gray. It looked good, but then like everyone says when you want to change a color, suddenly it doesnt look that good after all. So to solve my problen, i just painted, yup painted the few red slats I had and made them green.....It looked Ok, since the windows were narrow and not really the focal point of the bedroom.
But now they are gone all together and Inow have something else.
So I would def not go with the colored blinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating