Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,869,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I doubt if you will find any info online, as I said, its been discontinued for a a while now, but I know without a doubt it IS Thomasville, I was the designer for the local Thomasville store here, and sold quite a few of those sets....wish I could remember what is was called.....
Its a lovely set, well made, and def worth what he is selling it for.
Okay, that really helps. I want to buy something that will last through the years and maybe pass down to the kids when they move out. I "love" the look, but I'm also interested in the quality.

Do it look like the buffet is the one for this set? I did not really notice the colors were so different until someone pointed it on on this thread.

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion on this. That makes me feel better about handing over cash to a private seller.

You all are awesome (and quite fast)!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The table and chairs are Thomasville, the collection was discontinued a few years ago, but I remember it. Its made in China.
Not sure about the buffet, its not a very good pix, but I bet its not an antique.
Thomasville will have a stamp on the underside of the table and the chairs.
I was thinking it might be Thomasville as they put out alot of Pecan dining sets.

Someone in NC should be able to find some lovely Hickory Chair or Hickory/White at very reasonable prices. Just my opinion but these are not pieces worthy of passing down through the family for anything other than sentimental reasons. The quality is average/less than average, IMO. Keep checking estate sales etc... dilligence in good furniture finds usually pay off.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,051,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Okay, that really helps. I want to buy something that will last through the years and maybe pass down to the kids when they move out. I "love" the look, but I'm also interested in the quality.

Do it look like the buffet is the one for this set? I did not really notice the colors were so different until someone pointed it on on this thread.

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion on this. That makes me feel better about handing over cash to a private seller.

You all are awesome (and quite fast)!!!
No, thats not the buffet that went with it at all.
Thomasville buffets are always a lot larger and higher, there was also a big china cabinet that went with that set.
Wish I could get a better look at it, because the quality does not look the same.
Thomasville makes a good product. Even though its made in China, they have their own factory, and their own quality control standards.
If you treat it well, it will last for many, many years.
Btw, will the seller split the buffet off from the table and chairs? I think if were me, I would look for a painted piece, as you will never get the woods to match up....just offering up a bit of professional advice.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Okay, I'm walking away. It's not a ton of money, but it sounds like it could be better spent. I want something that looks nice AND can stand the test of time. I'm really uncomfortable that there is no stamp anywhere on any of the pieces. I'll keep looking.

Thank you ALL!!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Okay, I'm walking away. It's not a ton of money, but it sounds like it could be better spent. I want something that looks nice AND can stand the test of time. I'm really uncomfortable that there is no stamp anywhere on any of the pieces. I'll keep looking.

Thank you ALL!!!!!
I suspect the stamps are there had the seller allowed you to look. The Seller may not have been completely forthright in his/her disclosure.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
I'm sure there are stamps on the furniture. You should go look for the stamps yourself.

The buffet is definitely not part of the set. I would negotiate a lower price for the table and chairs---and not buy that buffet.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM

I decided against it because I've asked him three times about looking for the stamps. I have an Ethan Allen set and every piece is stamped. It just makes no sense to me that there are NO markings on any of these pieces. Further, he originally represented this as a "set" and only admitted that the pieces closely resemble one another, but are not the same pieces. Then, he tried to "push me" by telling me other people were interested. I politely declined further interest to which he came back with a lower asking price. Where are the "people waiting in line to buy it"? It may be a nice set. It may even be legitimate, but he's playing way too many games for my liking.

Thank you all for your insight on this. My gut was telling me something was "off" but you helped to solidify the "why?" for me.

All the best!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,051,329 times
He was feeding you a line, hate dealers like that!
If it were stamped, then what would have been his reasoning for saying it wasnt? Kinda shooting himself in the foot, imho.
Its a knock-off, plain and simple.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 PM

564 posts, read 1,725,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just my opinion but these are not pieces worthy of passing down through the family for anything other than sentimental reasons. The quality is average/less than average, IMO.
Completely agree. The quality does not strike me as better than average, at the very best... You made the right decision of walking away. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,353,142 times
If you want antiques, look on first dibs and ebay. There are a lot of deals out there for things. Some might be reproductions, but they're very good reproductions.

However, I happen to think Thomasville is a good mid range brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating