Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 PM

2,810 posts, read 5,652,779 times

Advertisements

I have a possibly dumb question. I have been a big hockey fan for a few years now, and there is one thing about fights that confuses me. When two players start going at it, sometimes officials do everything within their power to stop them- holding them apart and not giving up until they stop. And then other times, just sit back and let them go at it. So why the difference? If fighting is part of the game, why not let it happen every time and hand out the 5 minute majors each time? Is there a reason why officials will let some fights happen and many others not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:51 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,360,822 times
Depends on who is scrapping. Usually if it's a known fighter then the refs will let it play out; however, if it's just a player who's a scorer they might step in once the sweaters are pulled or a player falls to the ice.

The refs have an idea who will fight and who isn't skilled plus they want to make sure no one gets injured during a fight so if it's 2 heavyweights for example, they will get out of the way.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,193,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I have a possibly dumb question. I have been a big hockey fan for a few years now, and there is one thing about fights that confuses me. When two players start going at it, sometimes officials do everything within their power to stop them- holding them apart and not giving up until they stop. And then other times, just sit back and let them go at it. So why the difference? If fighting is part of the game, why not let it happen every time and hand out the 5 minute majors each time? Is there a reason why officials will let some fights happen and many others not?
Well, this is a good question. In the NHL, they have changed the rules to reduce fighting. However, as you can see, it still happens. Some people think that fight is kind of like wrestling. But every hockey player know where there is no protection and every a** know how to give you a cheap shot to throw you off your game.

All referee's know who the heavy hitters are. Some players know how to fight and some are there to score goals. The fighters are mainly the protector of the franchise player. The rule is...No one touches the franchise player!

But referees know who the heavy hitters are for each team. The last thing they want to do is get into there while the heavy hitters are doing their work. So they stand and watch and wait for them to tie up and then they go in. Last thing you want to do is go in there and get cold cocked...that sucks.

Why do they rush in right a way? maybe it becaise the two fighting a rookies or goal scorers that don't know what they are doing, so the referee feel safe to go in and break it up right away.

Hope this help!
Head coach

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,305,554 times
I also think a lot has to do with knowing the situation in the game and keeping control of the game

i've seen unconvential guys go many times and i've seen heavies get stepped in front of (usually during spontaneous bouts - not usually the ones where they both drop at the start of a shift - then again the heavies usually know the situation as well as the refs)

sometimes you don't want things to spill over and get out of control so you step in and either break it up and get fresh players on the ice or send a coupe guys off on offsetting minors and let the teams skate 4 on 4 in open ice for a couple minutes to cool down

Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,652,779 times
That makes sense- thanks for the responses!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,375,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I also think a lot has to do with knowing the situation in the game and keeping control of the game

i've seen unconvential guys go many times and i've seen heavies get stepped in front of (usually during spontaneous bouts - not usually the ones where they both drop at the start of a shift - then again the heavies usually know the situation as well as the refs)

sometimes you don't want things to spill over and get out of control so you step in and either break it up and get fresh players on the ice or send a coupe guys off on offsetting minors and let the teams skate 4 on 4 in open ice for a couple minutes to cool down
You mean like Thorton going after Lidstrom last night? I ntoice McLellen didn't play him after that.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM

why would he play him - his misconduct expired with 2 minutes left in a 6 goal game .... pretty much the 3rd and 4th lines were out there grinding at that point

i have zero problem with joe letting his presence be felt ..... it's hockey after all - i wish he brought out "angry joe" on a more consistent basis

Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM

As you said, it is about control. Obviously, McLellan thought he was out of control.

And as Head Coach noted, "the rule is...... no one touches the franchise player." Hockey is about respect, something too many upshot teams and players don't understand. The hit on Lidstrom and the hit on Stuart (I don't remember if that was Thorton's handiwork as well) looked to be to cause intentional injury. And I am not the only one who thinks so.

If any team has to resort to that kind of thug mentality during the play-offs, then they don't deserve to be there.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
And as Head Coach noted, "the rule is...... no one touches the franchise player." Hockey is about respect, something too many upshot teams and players don't understand. The hit on Lidstrom and the hit on Stuart (I don't remember if that was Thorton's handiwork as well) looked to be to cause intentional injury. And I am not the only one who thinks so.
People have an issue with the hit on stuart?!

seriously?

really?!

that was a textbook hip-check on a defenseman who was entering the zone by the defenseman with coverage for that area

btw - thornton is a franchise player - he thought there was a dive earlier in the game that sent him to the box, it was pretty clear that he was in angry joe mode (which is awesome, btw) and the big, strong, amazingly tough holmstrom skated towards him ..... joe dipped a shoulder into him and put him on his butt - just to let him know that if he really wants to hit you, you don't need to dive ... he's bigger than you

i love it

also, what part about having a 10 minute misconduct assessed did you miss

the guy sat cold for 14 minutes - is any coach going to insert a start player into a 6 goal game after a 14 game minute break (which followed shortly after the 17 minute timed intermission break)

that would be idiotic - at that point you're night is over - nothing can be gained by putting a player, any player out there in that circumstance .......... what is that, time for a single shift? ........ i know you've only skated for 2 minutes out of the last 50-60 minutes, but go out and finish out this blowout with the 4th line

Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM

I think you are (deliberately?) missing the point of intentionally attempting to cause injury.

Whatever........ neither one of us is going to change the other's mind as you feel the need to resort to sarcasm to make your points so let's agree to disagree and you can go try to bait someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey