Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 AM

102 posts, read 272,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'd suggest (having not managed my first live hockey game yet) that it has to do with adrenaline not unsimilar to Aussie Rules footy.

The game is fast paced, there is a level of physicality not required in games like cricket or baseball and just the general player on player arrangement of the game makes it more likely there will be physical contact WHICH isn't always going to be perceived as accidental, add to that the adrenaline and before you know it you got a fisty cuffs on your hands.

If you think hockey is violent try sitting through a women's netball game.
yeah - WOMEN'S NETBALL - YOU GET A FIST AND YOU KEEP IT MOVING - THOUGH IT WAS NOT LEGAL - BUT ADRENALINE AND EGO !

But those guys were going at it and I was like - what !!! Its hard though for the loser of the fight to concentrate after that when he feels like he let his team down....oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,909,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmaol View Post
yeah - WOMEN'S NETBALL - YOU GET A FIST AND YOU KEEP IT MOVING - THOUGH IT WAS NOT LEGAL - BUT ADRENALINE AND EGO !

But those guys were going at it and I was like - what !!! Its hard though for the loser of the fight to concentrate after that when he feels like he let his team down....oh well...
It's an interesting question you posed though slmaol. I had to think about it a bit. I mean there's sledging goes on with the cricket and I assume the baseball but I don't recall the last time there was man on man physical fight in a game.

Same with softball. I can remember there being sledging going on in the games I've played but I came to less physical harm in a softball match than netball or WORSE women's basketball. (those girls are vicious!)

I really think it's the arrangement of the game with the player on player scenario that brings out the aggression. If you think about it netball, basketball, football and hockey are all set up so that it's not just about the puck or ball getting to the goals, it's about defence and offence and literally physically pitting yourself against an opponent to stop them from getting a goal.

In cricket or baseball there isn't that same set up of player on player.

I can understand WHY things escalate in a man on man situation. It's human nature I guess.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 AM

691 posts, read 2,330,274 times
Ice hockey is the BEST sport to watch on tv, and the BEST sport to go see, okay, basketball is a close second. If I could find a guy who loves hockey, my life would be perfect. My last husband, watched GOLF on tv. Could anything be more boring?

Old 10-31-2009, 09:06 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,909,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
... My last husband, watched GOLF on tv. Could anything be more boring?
Lawn Bowls?

Nah you're right! Golf WINS!!!

The most BORING spectator sport to watch on tele, EVER!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM

They should put Karzai and Abdullah into a ring and whoever wins - WINS !

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Golf is definitely at the top of the list of boring....good heavens !! LOL

But you are right on MoonShadow....player on player most definitely brings out aggression....

Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 AM

691 posts, read 2,330,274 times
I like boxing too, heavyweight, and bantam weight. I don't know why I like to watch men beating each other up, is that wierd? I can actually watch a boxing match, and enjoy it. Maybe just to see who can outlast the other one. Boxing takes alot of energy, and being in top condition.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM

173 posts, read 332,247 times
Hockey fights start for the reasons posted and more. Fights are allowed: 1) Because fans (the paying customers) love it. Many pay to see the fights not the games. For profit teams encourage fights, players with the most penalty minutes are as important to the owners as those with the most goals. 2) Refs won't break it up when the fight is either not very serious and is simply generating fan excitement or when it is so intense that it poses a serious threat to themselves. The refs are well trained to know which bodily positions of the fighting players are best to take control without getting creamed or causing injury.

As long as it was a clean fight, they rarely take anger off the ice. It's not uncommon for friends, such as former team mates to fight on the ice then go out together after the game.

Check out the new SECHC, Auburn is the only SEC school still without a men's ice hockey team, The Frozen Tide will host the Championship tournament again this season - www.bamahockey.net

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,590,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Ice hockey is the BEST sport to watch on tv, and the BEST sport to go see, okay, basketball is a close second. If I could find a guy who loves hockey, my life would be perfect. My last husband, watched GOLF on tv. Could anything be more boring?
Basketball is a close second to hockey for me, tho I love a great hs football game. I don't mind golfing, but watching it? I enjoy doing other things while it is on in the background.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,439,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmaol View Post
Why was the fight ALLOWED AND WHY DO FANS CHEER FOR THE FIGHT?
That's hockey!
First game I went to I almost fell asleep until 2 of the guys threw off their gloves and went to it...blood spattered over the ice...FANTASTIC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
The best is when you sit against the glass and watch faces smoosh into it.
Absolutely! That's why those are the most expensive seats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
The higher the level, the less fighting the refs allow...
Unless it's collegiate hockey. Those games are pretty sedate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey