Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:59 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ok, this is probably going to sound dumb to the blokes but how many women attend hockey games usually? I'm just wondering if is there a big queue in the breaks for the ladies loo?
Even if you've not noticed yourself, if you've attended with ladies do they ever vanish for an age when they have to go to the loo?
I only ask because usually there's a queue a mile long outside the ladies here at events and I'm thinking that 17 -20 minutes is not a lot of time to get to the loo, wait in the queue and be back before play starts again.
If I know that trying to get to the loo at a game is a nightmare I'll make sure NOT to get the BIG GULP with my hotdog.
There are quite a few ladies at the San Jose Shark games... and I mean a lot. Maybe not 50% but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 30-35%.

And the queue for the ladies room is longer than for the men's room.

What I used to do is if there was a break in action around a minute left or less, I'd start walking up the steps to the main level and when I got to the top... maybe watch the very end of the period. Then dash off to the men's room before the crush hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
There are quite a few ladies at the San Jose Shark games... and I mean a lot. Maybe not 50% but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 30-35%.

And the queue for the ladies room is longer than for the men's room.

What I used to do is if there was a break in action around a minute left or less, I'd start walking up the steps to the main level and when I got to the top... maybe watch the very end of the period. Then dash off to the men's room before the crush hit.
Same technique I employ!

Thanks for that Bagger, now I guess I'll go when I get there and avoid too much liquid and hopefully I won't need to go.

I've never understood why there isn't twice as many women's toilets to men's toilets.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
because men still are the big draw

in the cardinals football stadium out here they built in more womens restrooms under the guidance that they take longer, etc

pending on where you are in the stadium it's now taking the guys 2x as long to get through as their wives - completely backwards just do to #s

a lot will have to do with the arena and i'm not familiar with the new garden ..... it's a relatively newer building so i'm sure they put some thought into it .... i know when I go to games out here in phoenix my wife gets in and out pretty quickly

the trick that others mentioned is pretty good as well - especially if you have easy access to the aisle

Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
because men still are the big draw

in the cardinals football stadium out here they built in more womens restrooms under the guidance that they take longer, etc

pending on where you are in the stadium it's now taking the guys 2x as long to get through as their wives - completely backwards just do to #s

a lot will have to do with the arena and i'm not familiar with the new garden ..... it's a relatively newer building so i'm sure they put some thought into it .... i know when I go to games out here in phoenix my wife gets in and out pretty quickly

the trick that others mentioned is pretty good as well - especially if you have easy access to the aisle
Oh I didn't mean at sports stadiums particularly because it stands to reason to me that for most big crowd sports the ratio of men to women is going to be higher therefore more or bigger mens rooms. I just meant at public places in general there's usually 2 options in the mens, cubicles and urinals and in the ladies not double the amount of cubicles.

But I do tend to get up where I can and head for the ladies early so as to avoid the queue and I generally buy aisle seats for just that reason, so I'm not annoying the crap out of everyone around me trying to get out of the seat early while the "event" is on.

I gotta say, it can be a logistics nightmare being a girl sometimes.

Once I've got tickets I'll start sussing out the lay of the stadium so I know where the loos are.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
I wonder if any stadium/arena has gotten the ratio right?
I would think it would have to be a newer venue.

Anyone? Or maybe this should be in another forum...

Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I wonder if any stadium/arena has gotten the ratio right?
I would think it would have to be a newer venue.

Anyone? Or maybe this should be in another forum...
Not sure that they could Bagger. I just put it down to one of those unexplained phenomena that I'll probably never get an answer to and plan my outings accordingly.

So back to hockey....do you folks have particular traditions with regard your hockey games? Like do you have your lucky jocks (undies) to wear to ensure a win? Or are there any special rituals you have?

Do they sell "programs" that will tell you a little bit about the team and the players? Particularly I'm wondering do the players jerseys have both their name and their number on? I think they probably do but I'm not sure...

I'd be interested to know what things are considered important to you guys in terms of going to a game. For instance here, if I was going to the footy I'd probably wear my team scarf, I'd buy a program and at some point I'd buy a meat pie with sauce because there's nothing better than pie and sauce at the footy. That's a very "Aussie" thing to do.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM

not sure if there is a hockey "food"

if it were baseball and your first game you'd be almost required to buy a hotdog

if there is a must consume food (aside from beer) i think i've missed it

some fans are superstitious, i'm not one of them - a lot of players go through their routines though

jerseys do contain both the name and # - most feature #s on the back and then on the sleeve so you can identify who they are from the top level

i know here in phoenix they just hand out game day programs when you go in - i think they did the same in other cities i've lived, but it's been to long to say for certain ...... if they just don't hand them out you can certainly buy one

could be fun to get there early and watch some of the pre-match skating and drills the guys go through to get ready

in the crowd you'll usually find people wearing jerseys, shirts, sweatshirts, etc that are tied into the team

occasionally teams will organize some kind of uniformity for special occasions - for example I have tickets to the coyotes opener and it's the "Welcome Back Whiteout", since the 'yotes haven't been to the playoffs for a while they are breaking out that tradition for the opener ......... most fans will be wearing white to the game and they are giving out white t-shirts and pompoms as the promo

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
if it were baseball and your first game you'd be almost required to buy a hotdog
In Sweden it is required to eat at least one hot dog at any sporting event you are attending.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM

nice - we're all really not that different after all

one thing that would be cool to witness (which i've only seen once) is a hat trick - if a home player nets 3 goals fans will throw their hats onto the ice

Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 PM

More great info! Thank you!

I'm definitely planning on a hotdog at my first baseball game but that won't be this trip.

Some events just lend themselves to consuming hotdogs so I might have one at the hockey although I'll probably pass on the beer as I'm not really a big beer drinker. Usually only when it's REALLY HOT. So I'm guessing that's not hockey season.

I think I will get there early to see the drills and warm up.
I've been watching some games on youtube and boy do those blokes move fast!! I'm thinking I will need to get there and get a feel for the players while they're moving slow before they drink their red food colouring and start racing around like The Road Runner.

Guess I need to start reading up on the basics of the game now. Does anyone know of a "Dummies Guide to Hockey"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey