Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,233,076 times

Advertisements

they coyotes have this "hockey 101" thing going on

here are the basics
COYOTES HOCKEY 101 - THE BASICS - Phoenix Coyotes - Fan Zone

advanced hockey lingo
COYOTES HOCKEY 101 - ADVANCED HOCKEY LINGO - Phoenix Coyotes - Fan Zone

penalties
Phoenix Coyotes - Fan Zone

it would also help to look at the ice layout to see the bluelines, goalines, face off circles, etc that are referenced

File:Ice hockey layout.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
In terms of food, stadium nachos- corn tortilla chips, bizarrely artificial and often surprisingly tasty melted cheese product, and a couple token jalapeno peppers on top- are a staple of American sport.

If you can find the guy selling sugared cinnamon nuts (follow the wonderful smell) that shows up at some arenas, they're very tasty.

Any sorts of chants, cheers, and heckling tends to be a short phrase repeated a number of times. Easy to pick those things up after two or three times.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM

602 posts, read 2,035,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Any sorts of chants, cheers, and heckling tends to be a short phrase repeated a number of times. Easy to pick those things up after two or three times.
Most of the chants remain pretty consistent no matter which arena you go to. Most consist of "Lets Go, (either team nickname or city)". Its also very common for fans to choose a player from the opposing team, (usually the goalie) and repeat their last name a couple times and then yell, "You Suck!"

Some arenas, its very common to hear this classic song, usually at the beginning of games or during intermissions:
The Hockey Song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The chorus is very catchy and many people sing along to it.

If you're looking to blend in more with the fans, wear the home team's jersey or a T-shirt or some kind of sweat shirt. Leave the team polo shirts for the corporate types there to impress an out of town client or guest.

As for what to eat, eat outside the arena beforehand. Try a local delicacy or go to a bar where fans might congregate before they enter the arena. Concession prices at some arenas can be rather expensive. But I like to enjoy at least 1 beer while I'm at the game.

I do also second what other people are saying about maybe seeking out an AHL game. I know some folks mentioned the teams in Springfield and Worcester, but there are other teams not too far away in Manchester, NH and Providence, RI (the Providence team is actually affiliated with the Bruins). As others said, the games are cheaper and closer to the action, and many of the fans are just as passionate.

Like others said, since this is your first time, get some place midway up in the arena so you can see all the action. Although, I won't lie being up front and getting to bang on the glass as the players and puck bounce off the boards in front of you is awesome. But try to avoid getting seats behind the goals, unless you're in a small arena.

If you're looking to understand the rules of the game more as well as experience a classic hockey icon, check out the Peter Puck videos:
Peter Puck - Google Videos
A couple of the rules have changed since these first came out in the 70s, but the rules of the game haven't changed that much and they're fun to watch.

The only other piece of advice that I didn't see on here, is when you're watching hockey, watch the players more than you do the puck, as sometimes the puck isn't always easy to see.

Hockey is a great sport and I'm sure no matter where you see you're first game, you'll have a great time.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,907,347 times
Oh this is great!!! Thank you all again!!!

I've been a little caught up with organizing other things for my trip so I've not had a chance to sit down and study the game more in depth as I would like but I'll definitely get onto it before I go. The links and info are very much appreciated.

At this point I'm definitely leaning toward going to an AHL game and it'll probably be the Worcester Sharks.

Do the AHL games get televised and if so what night is hockey night? Or are there games on the tv all week? Actually any games on tv are good really. I'm hoping to be able to watch the hockey on tv for most of my trip if I can.

I am so looking forward to this!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 AM

I think.......I might actually be going to my first hockey game on Sunday.

I just wanted to thank you guys all again for all your help with my inane questions.

I'm really looking forward to the game and I'll report back if anyone is interested.

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Managed to get to DCU in Worcester to see the Worcester Sharks defeat the Norfolk Admirals my first day in Massachusetts and I LOVED IT!!!

Since then I have to laugh every time I catch myself glued to the tele whenever the hockey comes on. I can't think of a sport I've taken this much interest in EVER, well except for maybe surfing.

Anyway, we're hoping to see the Sharks play again next week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,064,044 times
If ya get any photos ya'd like to share, would be to see 'em.

Great to see the enthusiasm and desire to learn and experience this fantastic sport.

As to seating, where did you end up - close or middle or? As others have said, there is a wide difference in the experience, based on something as simple as where you sit... down & close, feel and experience the action on an almost personal level... up higher though, you get to see plays, as they develop and come to fruitation. Overall, me, I'm a middle-upper level guy - like to see the plays, but still close enough to see player's expressions and sounds.

BTW, one of our traditions is eating warm fresh pretzels.

PS: if an issue to try to spend not so much on such items, can acquire jerseys, granted not to the same quality but still have the flavour for what they are, at local Target, K-Mart, Walmart, etc. type stores, for much cheaper. lol, this is the route I go with... And I'll be wearing my MacInnis jersey this coming New Years Eve when going to the Blues vs. Canuckles game.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
This time of year, if there's anyone selling the cinnamon-sugar nuts, give them a try. They taste even better than they smell.

Also the quinessental North American stadium nachos. They are like 18 different kinds of wrong but oddly tasty in the right circumstances.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Oh I've got stuff to tell but it's nearly 2.30am and I need to sleep so I'll come back and update properly over the weekend. I do have some pics, caver, so I'll try and do something about that too.

I'm really just posting now on account of the Fenway Park game tomorrow!!!

I'm just a little excited about it all!

We're not going to go because I just couldn't cope outdoors sitting around for that long, plus the tickets are prohibitively expensive but I think we might go watch it on a big screen in a pub somewhere, and I'm really looking forward to it!

GO BRUINS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey