Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,858,773 times

Advertisements

Surprised about Detroit's start this season, they don't look that dynamic anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
don't know what to make of the sharks as of yet - i think depth could be an issue and who knows what nabby brings anymore

on the local side the yotes got off to a good start against the kings and now must go east for 2 ... i have tickets to the home opener this saturday - should be fun

and as for jazzy - go amerks!
I'm with you... I'm somewhat concerned with the depth on the blue line, Huskins and Demers the third pair? Nabby is also a concern... especially since I don't know much about Griess. Ferrio looks good and I have hopes for McClaren (sp?). But, the first game against Colorado they looked horrible and the first period agains the Ducks they looked great.

It's going to be interesting.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Surprised about Detroit's start this season, they don't look that dynamic anymore.
When the D and Goalie give up easy goals it is deflating. They are still good though. They need a few small changes to be even better. Like, for example, a better backup than Howard. Ozzy was real good in the playoffs so I'll withohldjudgement on his bad start for a while.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,736,173 times
its only the beginning of the season. its not like football. u got 82 games in a season. everyones got time

Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,358,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I'm with you... I'm somewhat concerned with the depth on the blue line, Huskins and Demers the third pair? Nabby is also a concern... especially since I don't know much about Griess. Ferrio looks good and I have hopes for McClaren (sp?). But, the first game against Colorado they looked horrible and the first period agains the Ducks they looked great.

It's going to be interesting.
They looked horrible defensively against Colorado, but outshot them 40-20. There was a lot of possession so it's not like Colorado slaughtered them. The Avs just converted way more of their chances.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM

854 posts, read 2,865,210 times
games like the caps/flyers match are the reason i love hockey what a sick match!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,731 times
+1, that was a great game. Shame that the Caps came out on the short end, but they had too many penalties plus Varly didn't have his best game. Gave up 2 soft goals to Richards.

Another multi-goal game for Ovie, fantastic drag and curl goal from Semin.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
Flyers showing a pretty flexible team this season, capable of being high scoring and physical. Hopefully, Emery will turn out to be a plus goalie, I'm still not certain he will be an answer back there.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 AM

172 posts, read 609,241 times
Calgary's season starting off very well, 3W-0L-0TL's. I am surprised, considering that the only players who have fully played up to their abilities so far are Jay Bouwmeester, Miikka Kiprusoff, and the entire fourth line. Amazing how people were questioning the teams secondary scoring/none "core" members, and yet besides Bouwmeester and Kiprusoff their core group has been terrible and the primary scoring none existent. Once this team fully learns Sutter's system, look out Western conference.

Detroit and Vancouver have stumbled out of the gate, mostly because of lackluster defensive play and poor goaltending (7uongo anyone?). I have no doubt that they will turn it around, but perhaps these points will hurt them later on. I figure that Vancouver and Calgary will be neck and neck for the division lead all season, and perhaps these missed 6 points by the Canucks will give the Flames the edge. Likewise with the Red Wings, who I think will have stiff competition this year in their division. It used to be "you have to get through Detroit to make it to the Finals," but their time as the "sole elite team" in the Western Conference is done. Here's how I see the Western Conference Standings at the end of the regular season:

1. San Jose Sharks
2. Calgary Flames
3. Detroit Red Wings
4. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Vancouver Canucks
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. St. Louis Blues
8. Los Angeles Kings

I think spots 6-10 are wide open, anyone's guess really. It could be any of these teams in my opinion: St. Louis, LA, Columbus, or Dallas.

The East will be dominated by the Bruins, Capitals, Flyers and Penguins. With the secondary teams being Carolina and New Jersey. My Eastern Conference standings go like this:

1. Boston Bruins
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Washington Capitals
4. Pittsburgh Penguins
5. New Jersey Devils
6. Carolina Hurricanes
7. New York Rangers
8. Montreal Canadiens

I do think that perhaps the Senators and Lightning will be contending for the final two spots. That said, I think the Eastern Conference is overall weaker than the West.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,254,299 times
First win of the season comes in a Shoot-out against Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
They've outscored 2 playoff teams 7-2 and this is the time of year when the Flyers usually play their worst hockey. What were your expectations?
I just was expecting the 'Canes to play a little better on opening night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey