Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,635 times

Advertisements

3 words

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY TOO MUCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,979,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
3 words

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY TOO MUCH

And this is the guy who instituted the salary cap on players.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM

I know Right. Da Dude doesnt do jack except criticize and screw things up

Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
Small compared to the other three commissioners, but.....
yea, he's imcompentent and he looks like the Penguin from Batman..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,940,501 times
I dont get why he dosent let Basillee buy the Yotes, and move them to Canada. Its not like they wont support the team, and the Loafs have stunk for a long time, so I dont think it cripples their fanbase. I think it would be better to have good support for all the teams rather than a few bankrupt in shaky markets.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I dont get why he dosent let Basillee buy the Yotes, and move them to Canada. Its not like they wont support the team, and the Loafs have stunk for a long time, so I dont think it cripples their fanbase. I think it would be better to have good support for all the teams rather than a few bankrupt in shaky markets.
Because it was Bettman who really pushed for expansion into these shaky markets thinking if teams were spread to all regions of the US then in time there might be a lucrative TV contract.....it was a pipe dream.......Nascar fans from the South and Bull Riding fans from the Southwest and the NHL fans just don't mix. These weak sister teams are the reason for the salary cap.....high revenue teams never wanted the salary cap but it was forced on them to accomodate the survival of financially struggling expansion teams. If he allows the weak expansion teams that were formed under his supervision and planning to start moving to better markets then it would be a loud statement that all he instituted was a failure !!!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 PM

To be honest though i am glad they created the salary cap. that way Detroit a thriving team didnt burn all this money while other teams dont have enough to pay everyone. The Cap works in the NFL. It surely works in the NHL.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
To be honest though i am glad they created the salary cap. that way Detroit a thriving team didnt burn all this money while other teams dont have enough to pay everyone. The Cap works in the NFL. It surely works in the NHL.
I couldn't disagree more. The cap works in the NFL because there aren't any financially strapped teams in the NFL......with the lucrative TV contract they don't even need the money from ticket or merchandise sales to make a profit.......the cap in the NFL only insures that the team owners will make additional profits. The cap in the NHL was created soley because the weak sister teams couldn't compete financially with the high revenue teams for quality players.......the financially elite Flyers, Rangers, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Avalanch, Detroit (just to name a few) wanted nothing to do with a cap but it was forced on them to allow the struggling nhl teams to survive. The cap limits competitive bidding between teams for quality players. If the owner doesn't have the cash to compete with the big dogs then they shouldn't have a team. Its poor planning and management from the top down. If you spend the allowable amount of cap salary on players when a quality player gets hurt your sunk for the season or playoffs because you can't even trade for a replacement because theres no cap space for a replacement player of equal quality. Theres too many teams in markets too small to support an NHL team esspecially with ticket prices hovering around $100 a game....too many NHL teams in small market cities that can't even support a more popular national NFL, NBA or MLB team......its crazy.......additionally.....theres too many teams and not enough NHL caliber players to go around so the fan gets a watered down mediocre product.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
It would not hurt the Leafs, but it would probably cripple the Sabres and then they would move.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It would not hurt the Leafs, but it would probably cripple the Sabres and then they would move.
How would that cripple the sabres?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey