Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times

Advertisements

Reduce the size of goalies' equipment and/or increase the size of the nets. And/or increase the size of the rinks to Olympic standards. Guys today are too big and fast and armoured for the size of rinks in NA.

Do the above and you'll see skillful plays that actually results in goals now and again. And, as a bonus, many fewer significant injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:35 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Where did they play before Glendale?? I thought they only moved out to Glendale 10 or so years ago and until then had shared the US Airway arena (Center??) in Phoenix with the Suns?? Did they go straight from Winnipeg to Glendale??
You are correct. After the relocation from Winnipeg, the 'yotes played in US Airways Center (now Talking Stick Resort Arena) from 1996 until 2003. Since then they've played at Gila River Arena in Glendale.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 PM

17,276 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Reduce the size of goalies' equipment and/or increase the size of the nets. And/or increase the size of the rinks to Olympic standards. Guys today are too big and fast and armoured for the size of rinks in NA.

Do the above and you'll see skillful plays that actually results in goals now and again. And, as a bonus, many fewer significant injuries.
I agree with this. The equipment is WAY too big. Guys like Ben Bishop pretty much cover the whole net.

And also, the rink size would definitely make things more interesting. Much more room for skillful plays, and as you said, less major injuries.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Where did they play before Glendale?? I thought they only moved out to Glendale 10 or so years ago and until then had shared the US Airway arena (Center??) in Phoenix with the Suns?? Did they go straight from Winnipeg to Glendale??
They did play in downtown Phoenix before they moved to Glendale. The problem with America West/US Airways/Talking Stick Resort Arena, is that it is basketball specific and the hockey ice can not be centered in the arena, similar to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn where the Isles now play, and you have a bunch of obstructed views seats toward one end.

Initially the Yotes wanted to move to the east valley and Scottsdale (where the money is and most, if not all of the players lived) and the old Los Arcos mall site, but the city along with the NIMBY's put the stop to that. So Glendale said, hey we will build you guys a brand new arena in the west valley and even pay for it. Now with talk of replacing America West/US Airways/Talking Stick Resort Arena, there is hope the Yotes will share the new arena with the Suns and it will be built for both hockey and basketball in mind and not just basketball, possibly in downtown Phoenix, or on the Salt River Indian Reservation, which borders Scottsdale.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 PM

73 posts, read 85,291 times
We need to get rid of some of those southern expansion teams.

Hockey in Florida, the Carolinas and Tennessee? Really?

Decrease the league by six teams or so.

Shorten the schedule from 82 games to 60.

Only six teams make the playoffs.

Increase the size of the crease. the area in front of the goalie that is off limits to other players. in the NHL especially, it is too common of a tactic for offensive players to hang-out in front of the net and wait for rebounds so they can slap in an easy junk goal. this makes for boring hockey.

it also reduces the need for greatly skilled skaters and shooters and stick handlers like Gretzky was.

Or at least instrument some sort of three-second rule in front of the goal like the NBA has in the paint for offensive centers.

also, stiffer penalties for players slamming into the golie. they need to be kept away, like in soccer. i want to see the game open up and be more freewheeling, more stick-handling and hot-dogging attackers, like NBA kids doing the shake and bake. I love the old-school 40' slap shot or wrister. again, hanging in front of the goal like vagrants waiting for a handout, to slap in a rebound takes no skill and is boring and hard to see for the fans anyway. we need to discourage this tactic.

I love the new 3 on 3 OT rule. keep it up. and the shootout is good too. the nhl must do what it can to keep ties to a minimum. back in the old days, or now in soccer, you will see records like 16-7-10. this is absurd. a tie cheats everybody. get rid of them.

two players, one on one, going at it. let them fight, till one man goes down. this is hockey, the fans love it. but don't let any other skirmishes last out. all that pushing and shoving and posturing is just plain boring and it slows down the game.

boarding should be dealt with harshly. as in immediate expulsion. I am talking about slamming full speed into an unsuspecting player from behind, especially when his head is down and facing the boards as he is trying to dig out the puck. this is a broken neck waiting to happen. it is far too common in the nhl, which is, BTW, the ONLY place in ALL of hockey in the world that you will EVER see it.

The NHL is already thuggish enough.

I wish there were a way to get rid of goons, but I don't see how. any hockey fan knows what a goon is. and it is a REAL factor in the NHL. Players who have only ONE job. But it would be impossible to enforce. What are ya gonna do? Have skill tests for the players? LOL..some of which the goons would fail? there are goons in the NHL who can barely skate.

So again the only way to clean this up is to do the stuff I have mentioned, make the game more skill-based, and open it up and eliminate some of the thugishness so goons are not needed. Maybe we can decrease roster size by 3 players to, so there is no slots to waste on goons.

YES! I like this idea...add it to my above list.

>>>>>>Sorry if I rambled too long. I'm a huge hockey fan and get carried away sometimes. Thanks.

Last edited by Slap_Shot; 10-30-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 08:11 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
Quote:
Yes, really. Some of us who live in these locations are big fans of the sport!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,319,705 times
First we get rid of Bettman.

No really.

Get rid of the Coyotes and the Panthers.

Move the Coyotes to Quebec City and the Panthers to Seattle

As much as I want the Hartford Whalers to return to my home city, I realize that the NHL isn't very interested in expanding to a region with too many teams. Hartford can only get a team through relocation.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 AM

17,276 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_Shot View Post
We need to get rid of some of those southern expansion teams.

Ok, I'll give you Tennessee, but Florida?
Tampa Bay/Orlando are FULL of Northern transplants. Hockey down here is VERY big. Case in point, there are over 20 recreational adult leagues between Daytona Orlando and Tampa with quite a few ex-pro and semi-pro players.
The Lightning's attendance is consistently high.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Tampa Bay/Orlando are FULL of Northern transplants. Hockey down here is VERY big. Case in point, there are over 20 recreational adult leagues between Daytona Orlando and Tampa with quite a few ex-pro and semi-pro players.
I won't even give him Tennessee. The Preds fans are some of the most devoted and fanatical I've seen and have had pretty good attendance, particularly over the last few seasons.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:25 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, just a few years ago, the Lightning, with those bad owners and poor play, were drawing 11,000-13,000 many weeknight games against poor opponents, if I recall. Lastes a couple years, I think. But good to see things healthy down there now with great owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey