Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Probably because I vehemently loathe all Philadelphia sports teams. But the Flyers do have a great jersey, I give you that. Old school. Too bad Reebok got ahold of that one as well.
I'm with you on your comment ... but I have a question. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that Reebok got hold of a jersey.

What's the story behind that and why is it of consequence?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I'm with you on your comment ... but I have a question. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that Reebok got hold of a jersey.

What's the story behind that and why is it of consequence?

Thanks.
It was Reebok that got the contract from the NHL to redesign all the jerseys a couple years ago. They axed the classic, baggier sweaters and came out with the "form fitting" pieces of garbage you see the players skating in now. They look like dress shirts with hockey logos on them. Not only that, but they redesigned the makeup of a lot of team jerseys, adding crazy patterns, colors, and designs to the jerseys of squads like the Islanders, Flyers, Sharks and Ducks. They didn't do much of anything to the original 6 teams jerseys, or a lynch mob would have formed and marched to Buttmans offices.

Just another example of Gary Bettman disrespecting the true fan base of the game and taking it upon himself to do as he pleases with it. His reign of terror WILL end!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
It was Reebok that got the contract from the NHL to redesign all the jerseys a couple years ago. They axed the classic, baggier sweaters and came out with the "form fitting" pieces of garbage you see the players skating in now. They look like dress shirts with hockey logos on them. Not only that, but they redesigned the makeup of a lot of team jerseys, adding crazy patterns, colors, and designs to the jerseys of squads like the Islanders, Flyers, Sharks and Ducks. They didn't do much of anything to the original 6 teams jerseys, or a lynch mob would have formed and marched to Buttmans offices.

Just another example of Gary Bettman disrespecting the true fan base of the game and taking it upon himself to do as he pleases with it. His reign of terror WILL end!
Right..... now I remember! Thanks...
and yes, I'm a Shark fan and I wasn't too thrilled with the change.
Thanks again... wow, my memory is really going!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i actually like these sharks jerseys more than the last ones as far as the actual design .... just wasn't a big fan of the gray going down the sleeve

however, my favorites by far are the original style

overall i don't mind the designs of the reebok jerseys on the whole .... i mean, there have always been some ugly sweaters .... i just miss the look of the material a bit

Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i also can't blame bettman too much about the reebok licensing deal ....... once they bought The Hockey Company it brought competition down to rbk or nike (especially considering that adidas and reebok merged about the same time reebok took over The Hockey Company).

At least the NHL was able to get some $$ for exclusivity ..... it's not like nike has been universally loved with their uniform interpretations in other sports

However, handing over the keys to a total redesign of the nature of the equipment wasn't necessary ....... same with the NBA improving it's ball and other such changes ....... that one is on gary

Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I say the fans move to replace Buttman with Mickey Redmond! He'll bring back the traditional sweaters, get rid of the uneccessary teams, and see to it that the NHL becomes a MAN'S league once again!

All hail the next commish!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM

317 posts, read 535,752 times
10. Islanders/Penguins
9. Maple Leafs
8. Blues
7. Rangers
6. Bruins
5. Flames
4. Sabres
3. Oilers
2. Blackhawks
1. Wings

Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM

172 posts, read 608,785 times
In no particular order:

Chicago Blackhawks
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Detroit Red Wings
St. Louis Blues
Calgary Flames
San Jose Sharks
Buffalo Sabres
Philadelphia Flyers
Colorado Avalanche

Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
I've yet to find anyone who likes the Reebok unis....

Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM

37 posts, read 75,250 times
I like how the uniforms look more streamlined, less fabric to clutch and grab. The more I watch old games, the more I dislike the bulky sweaters. This is pretty much the opposite of how I felt when they were first implemented.

Now the uniform TEMPLATES? Completely different story. Some teams, like the Bruins, got it right...but there are still the disasters that the Oilers and Panthers wear, and the RBK logo cutout behind the neck looks ridiculous. There's also the socks that the Lightning, Sens, and Flames wear...ugh (though I hear the Flames are going back to more traditional striping).

There seems to be a movement to return to more classic uniforms though, and I think more throwbacks are going to be adopted as thirds, then ultimately take over. We'll probably see this in Edmonton, Long Island, maybe Calgary and in other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey