Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 PM

734 posts, read 2,619,691 times

Advertisements

NHL 1993 (or '94, I forget) was the stuff of legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,578,599 times
season starts soon everyone get your popcorn ready

Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,933,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
season starts soon everyone get your popcorn ready
Wrong sport, that comment applies to football.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Wrong sport, that comment applies to football.
I thought Football was beer

Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Football will be a distant afterthought soon.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 68,390 times
Default Another $0.02 worth!

Okay, I've just waded through 23 pages of conjecture, innuendo, and chest-pounding..it was fun! I have my NHL package purchased for 2008-09, my favorite chair set up and ready to go. I have a Flyer fanatic of a friend I can rib (yes, I am bummed J.R. is gone but am glad jeffrey Lopul is still there). My favorite teams got little or no mention in all of this so here goes:

#1 Dallas - Western Conference Runner-ups after underachieving at the end of the regular season - glad to have Sean Avery but hate to see Nick Hagman go.

#2 Minnesota - (Okay, I still have to root for the team that took the place of My beloved North Stars, too!) Loss of Brian Rolston and Pavel Dimetra will be hard to overcome, even with Brunette, Nolan, and Mettinen moving in. Martin Gaborik is always a joy to watch skate, but I'll miss Aaron Voros (Rangers?)

#3 Columbus - New kids on the block and Ken Hitchcock as coach (you knew there was a Dallas tie-in). Okay, the Umberger comment above was to show I have sympathy for my friend but it will be nice to have him in Columbus. The loss here is Ron Hainsey.

#4 My first love when hockey was young, even before the Whalers won the very first Avco Cup and Gerry Cheevers was a Baron and Derek Sanderson was a Blazer. When Espo and Cashman and MacKenzie were a superlative supporting cast for Bobby Orr, before the league expanded to Minnesota and i fell in love with the Green and Gold. The hub of the hockey world for me were the big, bad Bruins. Now they aren't big, and they are only sometimes bad but last year there was only one team they couldn't beat until it was too late - Montreal (like the Celtics and Lakers, some things never change, only the names). Not much change here this year but I have to hope that Manny Fernandez comes back strong from the injury that sidelined him last year. Manny, of course, is the former Star and Wild goalie so naturally, another favorite.

That's the top 4 - there's Mike Smith in Tampa now and Olaf to back him up (?) and Barry Melrose will be bullying that franchise for awhile, Will the coaching change in San Jose push them to the heights we've all expected?
Will the Calgarys, Vancouvers, or Edmontons break into that upper echelon in the West? Then there the teams I love to hate - The Rangers, the Devils, The Canadians, and the Dark Pink Feathered Appendages that inhabit the same city as my beloved Pistons and Lions

I'm sure I've given all of you enough ammunition to heckle me back! Here's to the Bettman Fan Club (NOT!) - bring on 2008-09!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Well it's good to have another hockey fan in here. There's plenty of fairweather fans who talk up their teams during playoff time but the TRUE fans stick around and talk up their teams all summer long.

Last edited by jrmontag; 09-16-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: I can't spell

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM

Any Dallas season ticket holders here???? I need tickets for January 12th 2009 Wings game...My son's 5th Bday

Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Okay I'm not usually one to troll but I couldn't resist myself on this one. Enjoy...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...r-country.html

Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Okay I'm not usually one to troll but I couldn't resist myself on this one. Enjoy...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...r-country.html
Lol...Kazakstan...do you even know where that is ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey