Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,033,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The free agent market opens today.
Malone and Roberts leave the Pens. Anyone else wondering what's gonna happen to Therrien?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Malone and Roberts leave the Pens. Anyone else wondering what's gonna happen to Therrien?
Im not surprised to see Roberts leave, Im a little surprised by Malone. I dont know about Therrien though, havent heard anything yet.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Im not surprised to see Roberts leave, Im a little surprised by Malone. I dont know about Therrien though, havent heard anything yet.
I haven't heard anything yet except rumbles from rumors. I'm not surprised by Roberts either. And he only signed a 1 year deal I believe. Malone did surprise me and I think it said he signed a 7 (!) year deal.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I haven't heard anything yet except rumbles from rumors. I'm not surprised by Roberts either. And he only signed a 1 year deal I believe. Malone did surprise me and I think it said he signed a 7 (!) year deal.
I kind of got the impression that Roberts didnt enjoy his time in Pittsburgh. And Malone is now a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Just signed a 7 year deal worth about $30 million.

News update: Roberts joins Malone in Tampa with a one-year contract.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-01-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,182,103 times
Wow! Blachawks signed Campbell to an 8 year deal. Pens signed Goddard....goodbye to Laraque?.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Wow! Blachawks signed Campbell to an 8 year deal. Pens signed Goddard....goodbye to Laraque?.
Yeah, wow.......as in "Wow, how STUPID can you get??" What is up with these extensive multiyear contracts all of a sudden? EIGHT YEARS for Brian Campbell? Come on, that's ridiculous........just like the Khabibulin signing was a ridiculous act of desperation from a ridiculous, desperate franchise. What do they do with Khabibulin and his $7 million contract next season now that they have Cristobal Huet? NO ONE in their right mind is going to trade for a guy that sucks that much jack and yields so many softies. Stupid.

If you really wanna be impressed, take a look at Detroit signing Brad Stuart for less than he could have commanded on the open market. I thought for sure he would walk, but that just goes to show what a selling point a classy, rock solid organization can be. The signed both Stuart AND Andres Lilja, and STILL have plenty of jack leftover to ink Filppula, Chelios, Downey & McCarty, not to mention they're still exploring adding another big name scorer, not that they need one. This team is going to be even more formidable in '08-'09, which just HAS to have the rest of the league shaking their collective heads in dismay. IMO Detroit boasts the most impressive blue line ever assembled, and we all know the rest of the team aint half bad themselves.The Red Wings, owner down to towel boy, are unquestionably the shining light for all professional sports franchises, and Ken Holland may be the greatest GM to have ever been given such a job.

Eat our ice shavings, Chicago. We look forward to outthinking you, outplaying you, and outattending you in your own arena once again this season.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Yeah, wow.......as in "Wow, how STUPID can you get??" What is up with these extensive multiyear contracts all of a sudden? EIGHT YEARS for Brian Campbell? Come on, that's ridiculous........just like the Khabibulin signing was a ridiculous act of desperation from a ridiculous, desperate franchise. What do they do with Khabibulin and his $7 million contract next season now that they have Cristobal Huet? NO ONE in their right mind is going to trade for a guy that sucks that much jack and yields so many softies. Stupid.

If you really wanna be impressed, take a look at Detroit signing Brad Stuart for less than he could have commanded on the open market. I thought for sure he would walk, but that just goes to show what a selling point a classy, rock solid organization can be. The signed both Stuart AND Andres Lilja, and STILL have plenty of jack leftover to ink Filppula, Chelios, Downey & McCarty, not to mention they're still exploring adding another big name scorer, not that they need one. This team is going to be even more formidable in '08-'09, which just HAS to have the rest of the league shaking their collective heads in dismay. IMO Detroit boasts the most impressive blue line ever assembled, and we all know the rest of the team aint half bad themselves.The Red Wings, owner down to towel boy, are unquestionably the shining light for all professional sports franchises, and Ken Holland may be the greatest GM to have ever been given such a job.

Eat our ice shavings, Chicago. We look forward to outthinking you, outplaying you, and outattending you in your own arena once again this season.
Man! Whatta a post! I wanted to rep you but I gotta spread it around first.

*high five*

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,358,915 times
Here´s the list of signings:
NHL.com - 2008 NHL Offseason News - Official 2008 NHL Free Agent Signings (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=22924 - broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 AM

7,966 posts, read 9,182,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post

Hey, I'm just a lowly Isle fan. We had to overpay for Streit. No one wants to play at the Nassau Mauseleum. I was surprised that Chicago went after Campbell as they didn't have the cap room.

Good article this week in the Hockey News on Ken Holland and the how the Detroit organization works.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 AM

Man, the Lightening sure are doing some organization aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey