Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
They were about a minute away from breaking the Flyers/Penguins record from 2000, that one also went 5OTs.

Seth Jones w/ 65 minutes of ice time. Wow.
There was a 6OT game in '36. Wings beat Maroons 1-0. Game 1 of the semi's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 02:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 876,512 times
Random question: Where do you follow hockey online these days? ESPN has completely abandoned the sport. It's the playoffs, and scores aren't even posted unless you dive deep. And no live box score. Total joke. Plenty of front-page news about what Antonio Brown is up to, though.

NHL site is an obvious choice, but I'm wondering what other options there are. Thanks for any leads.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:11 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
I used Yahoo sports for a long time, but it has gone dowhill.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 AM

1,362 posts, read 876,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I used Yahoo sports for a long time, but it has gone dowhill.
I feel like they all have. I don't get it.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Random question: Where do you follow hockey online these days? ESPN has completely abandoned the sport. It's the playoffs, and scores aren't even posted unless you dive deep. And no live box score. Total joke. Plenty of front-page news about what Antonio Brown is up to, though.

NHL site is an obvious choice, but I'm wondering what other options there are. Thanks for any leads.
Hmmm....after ESPN fired most or all of its hockey staff about two years ago, I'm actually surprised at how well they've rebounded. They lured Greg ("Puck Daddy") Wysnishki from Yahoo and have Emily Kaplan as well. I actually think it's decent.

Seems The Athletic, despite recent layoffs, still has respected hockey writers, and even a comments section on articles. It requires a monetary subscription.

SI.now seems to have fired its hockey staff recently. SI now uses The Hockey News stories.

TSN ca and Sportsnet.ca, of course. I enjoy the weekly 31 Thoughts column by Elliot Friedman on Sportsnet.

ProhockeyTalk is NBC's hockey site.

I like Larry Brooks' Sunday New York Post column called Slap Shots. Usually posts on Saturday afternoon online. The NY Post has a hockey story or even two daily, in season. The site is always free.

Even The New York Times online had a couple of hockey stories this week. I'm not sure if they have a regular hockey writer, though.

USA Today fired Kevin Allen after 25 years (!) but I think they still have some NHL coverage.

Of course, the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun, Globe and Mail, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, Edmonton Journal, Calgary Herald (?) or is it Calgary Sun?, Winnipeg whatever, Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province.

Even Hockey Night in Canada has a website as does NHL Network.

I often just Google NHL and sometimes National Hockey League (usually most of the five or six stories are the same, but one or two are different) and see which stories randomly appear.

Oh, HF forums are great. HF stands for Hockey's Future. Each NHL team has a space there. Even international, minors and college hockey sections. There's the general NHL discussion area as well as a History of Hockey discussion as well as a Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion area. Business of Hockey there is interesting, and even has an NHL TV ratings area there.

And each team has an OT discussion section for other local sports. Also a movies and entertainment section. I think you and others will enjoy the site. It's for serious fans. Most posters seem to be from Canada.

But two fans I know had never heard of it -- but some members have been posting 15 years or more. Apparently some NHL players secretly read the discussions.

And each NHL team has a game day thread for each game with good discussions. Sometimes 400-1000 posts per game!

So what other hockey sites do we all turn to regularly or occasionally?

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-15-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
Quote:

For me, it's pretty much the only choice. Occasionally I might run across something interesting on Yahoo or even ESPN but I've also discovered those articles and show segments are not fact-checked. Example, I've seen on more than one occasion where the author states the Carolina Hurricanes play in Charlotte and not Raleigh, another where the Blue Jackets are the 'Cleveland Blue Jackets', another in which a story about Eric Staal (while still a member of the Hurricanes) had a front-page picture of his brother Jordan (in a Penguins uniform, after he was traded to Carolina), another in which the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to Nashville in 2011 and became the Nashville Predators, etc. I rarely see this kind of inaccuracy in stories covering the other sports and whenever I do it's usually corrected quickly.

The Athletic has some good stuff from what I've heard but I've never had a subscription.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:03 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,493,526 times
Quote:

I use flashscore.com for everything. NBA, NHL, soccer. Much, much better than ESPN. If you sign up to register (which you can do for free) you can set up to 100 favorite teams or players, and you can set up scoring notifications for each and every one of those teams. You can also favorite up to 500 games as well and set notifications for that. Also the scoring updates are super quick and right up to the second it happens from the arena. If I'm watching the Islanders game I get the notification they scored about 30 seconds before I see it on TV which is good and bad but if I ever want to watch and don't want to find out early what happens I just put the phone in my room, but if your hanging with friends or family good thing to get a few extra bucks "hey I bet you $20 Matt Barzal scores right here" etc. Also about an hour or 2 after the game you can watch video highlights as well in case you missed the game, and with select hockey & soccer games goals as well but I think the videos only stay up about 12 hours.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:24 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
Well no games tonite and probably tomorrow too. Guess that will suddenly make violent ex felons start to listen to commands from the police.

Who knew it would just be a few cancelled hockey games to fix the problem.

Maybe If they cancel Cricket games, we will get world peace!

Old 08-27-2020, 05:14 PM

731 posts, read 726,315 times
Well the gelded white boys on skates decided to hop on board the blame the police bus. Screw them too. Fans found other things to do while the fairy players hid from the big bad virus. They'll do the same again. I think I'm watching Blazing Saddles for ****s & giggles.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Well the gelded white boys on skates decided to hop on board the blame the police bus. Screw them too. Fans found other things to do while the fairy players hid from the big bad virus. They'll do the same again. I think I'm watching Blazing Saddles for ****s & giggles.
Another league I can stop watching...football your next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey