Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM

34 posts, read 36,759 times

Advertisements

Quebec City in the East and Seattle in the west. Seattle is getting an NBA team and building a new arena. 2 full time tenants will be good for the building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,201,732 times
I saw a blip on New England Sports Network on how the governor of CT is trying to get te Whalers ack. No enticing of needing a new arena in that report, though.

However, what any new NHL fans don't realize is that the Whalers, in my opinion, were never that popular in their home city. The arena only sat 15,000 plus, but I don't think they ever sold out an entire season. In fact, I'm sure that during many years, a weak opponent on a weeknight would draw 11,000-13,000. Unsure of their worst crowd ever...did it ever fall to 9,000 in some of their worst years? I'm sure that the average was only 13,000 for some of their years.

Sure, a new arena and team would draw well for the first few years, as did Atlanta, Columbus, Phoenix and Nashville.

I just can't imagine Hartford's tv market, around number 38 (?, having NBC appeal. They would rather have Houston, Phoenix or Atlanta, even with non-sellouts, as part of their NHL map...

Seems that nostalgic fans like the Whalers gear more than ever -- but their actual existence didn't translate to that excitement...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
There are way too many hippies in Seattle now.

They've embraced the Sounders pretty well, but the Sonics moved from there.
Seattle Metro has over 3.5 million people--maybe .05% of those are "hippies"... This isn't 1967...

The Sonics only moved because they got bought by rich guy from Oklahoma City who was looking for a way to move a team there and knew they wouldn't build the him the new arena in Seattle quick enough. They're about the get the Sacramento Kings to move up to Seattle now. Seattle's plenty good as a sports town--just go to a Seahawks, Sounders game or even a WHL Thunderbirds game. Once, they have the new arena built in two years, they'll be an ideal location for a NHL relocation.

It's a much better choice than all the Deep SOuth locations that the NHL tried to push on us...

Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,807,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I saw a blip on New England Sports Network on how the governor of CT is trying to get te Whalers ack. No enticing of needing a new arena in that report, though.

However, what any new NHL fans don't realize is that the Whalers, in my opinion, were never that popular in their home city. The arena only sat 15,000 plus, but I don't think they ever sold out an entire season. In fact, I'm sure that during many years, a weak opponent on a weeknight would draw 11,000-13,000. Unsure of their worst crowd ever...did it ever fall to 9,000 in some of their worst years? I'm sure that the average was only 13,000 for some of their years.

Sure, a new arena and team would draw well for the first few years, as did Atlanta, Columbus, Phoenix and Nashville.

I just can't imagine Hartford's tv market, around number 38 (?, having NBC appeal. They would rather have Houston, Phoenix or Atlanta, even with non-sellouts, as part of their NHL map...

Seems that nostalgic fans like the Whalers gear more than ever -- but their actual existence didn't translate to that excitement...
I remember going to Bruins-Whalers games for years growing up. It was fun having another pro team be so close to Boston, only about a 75 minute drive from where I grew up. Always a 50/50 crowd as thousands of Bruins fans made the trip. Fun environment.

I don't see how this is viable without a brand new, state of the art arena with seating for at least 16,000. It's a nice thought, but not a realistic one. The NHL cares more about expanding their footprint, than maintaining a redundant franchise, which they were being in the middle of Bruin and Ranger fan bases.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 PM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
Canada, Canada, Canada....They need to move 2 more southern franchises up to Canadian cities.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Seattle Metro has over 3.5 million people--maybe .05% of those are "hippies"... This isn't 1967...

The Sonics only moved because they got bought by rich guy from Oklahoma City who was looking for a way to move a team there and knew they wouldn't build the him the new arena in Seattle quick enough. They're about the get the Sacramento Kings to move up to Seattle now. Seattle's plenty good as a sports town--just go to a Seahawks, Sounders game or even a WHL Thunderbirds game. Once, they have the new arena built in two years, they'll be an ideal location for a NHL relocation.

It's a much better choice than all the Deep SOuth locations that the NHL tried to push on us...
ALL of them?

Dallas? Tampa? Raleigh?

(btw, it should be Seattle and Quebec City, to answer the title)

Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times
I guess it will make sense to put a team in Saskatchewan. Saskatoon is the biggest city, but it is too bad it has to be so far from Regina. If they were closer that would make the fan base even bigger, and probably would have a team already.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
I am morally opposed to hockey south of the Mason Dixon line. I would move all the current southern teams to northern/Canadian cities. Last year moving a team from Atlanta to Winnipeg is a good start. Now we just need to get rid of the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes, Dallas Stars, LA Kings, and the Phoenix Coyotes. They can go to Quebec, Seattle, Milwaukee or some place like that. But I guess the Washington Capitals can stay. Then all we need to do is change the Wild to the North Stars and nudge the Blue Jackets just a little bit to the north to Cleveland and make them the Barons again.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
I am morally opposed to uppity northern hockey fans that think southerners are not allowed to enjoy hockey.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,599,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I am morally opposed to hockey south of the Mason Dixon line. I would move all the current southern teams to northern/Canadian cities. Last year moving a team from Atlanta to Winnipeg is a good start. Now we just need to get rid of the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes, Dallas Stars, LA Kings, and the Phoenix Coyotes. They can go to Quebec, Seattle, Milwaukee or some place like that. But I guess the Washington Capitals can stay. Then all we need to do is change the Wild to the North Stars and nudge the Blue Jackets just a little bit to the north to Cleveland and make them the Barons again.
You moving the Los Angeles Kings would be like satan having a ( Snow Ball Fight In Hell ) LOL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey