Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Or Course Toronto Doesn't want an NHL team in Hamilton, they rightfully consider Hamilton to be their turf. What would the NHL have to benefit by angering and harming one of it's oldest and most valuable franchises, all to place a team in a city that would then become the smallest market in the entire NHL?
Hamilton is "righfully" Toronto turf? I think the people of Hamilton would disagree. Hamilton is Hamilton's turf. Boo-hoo. A team in Hamilton might ruffle Toronto's feathers. Maybe it will make Toronto run a proper organization once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,022,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Hamilton is "righfully" Toronto turf? I think the people of Hamilton would disagree. Hamilton is Hamilton's turf. Boo-hoo. A team in Hamilton might ruffle Toronto's feathers. Maybe it will make Toronto run a proper organization once again.
Of course Hamilton disagrees. That doesn't matter though. Toronto would fight against it. Buffalo would fight against it.

In the end though, the objections of both cities wouldn't matter if the nhl had a compelling reason to put an nhl team there. There isn't own though. Hamilton is not large. It would be the smallest metro in the entire nhl. Due to it's size it would have to fight hard for a team no matter what. Factor in that it's less than an hour and a half from buffalo and less than an hour from Toronto though... and the case for nhl team in Hamilton becomes totally unrealistic.

I have nothing against Hamilton. That's just the way it is. Your arguement has no substance. If you actually view this from common sense standpoint you can understand why Bettmen disrupted that deal and why him and any future commissioner would do the same if someone attempted to move a team there in the future.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Quote:
Big question regarding Milwaukee is if Chicago ownership will go along with it or if they will claim it is too close or part of their current fanbase.
True, the blackhawks don't do any marketing in Milwaukee although they might in Kenosha but I don't think I have ever seen a Hawks billboard or news ad in the kenosha paper regarding the blackhawks.

Quote:
I don't think Milwaukee will ever get an NHL team as long as they have the Admirals.
It will take about 2.1 seconds for the Ad's not to be a problem and they will move as soon as they hear the Phoenix Coyotes are relocating to Milwaukee once the Bucks leave and until the Bucks leave, MKE will not get a team.

Quote:
Regardless, Milwaukee is well outside of the Hawks territorial claim. However, Milwaukee would still need to gain majority approval from the board.
Well outside the Hawks territory? really? The IL border is only 20 miles away from MKE's southern most suburb Caledonia. Technically the two metro areas abut one another Milwaukee's suburbs end at Racine/Kenosha line and Chicago's starts at the Racine/Kenosha line. The two metro's blend into one another. It's really not that far at all since they share the same border.

Quote:
The bigger issue with Milwaukee is that the arena is aging and there doesn't seem to be much of a climate to replace or renovate the Bradley Center.
Aging no and outdated in terms of being having modern amenities however it's still only 20yrs old and looks the same as it opened back in the day. True doesn't seem to be a popular idea to renovate the BC however renovating it for a NHL team is a lot easier of sell than for the Bucks. Plus I think Milwaukee fans can draw more than 12,420 which the PHX Coyotes average on a given night. The Admirals already draw 6,200 on average a game 10th best in the AHL I think We as a city can find another 10,000 a game in our metro area.

I can't believe the NY Islanders draw so bad, 13,191 a game!

2011-2012 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | Home

Milwaukee, Wisconsin: The Next Home to an NHL Franchise | Bleacher Report

NHL in Wisconsin Campaign

NHL | hockeygalmilwaukee

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,589,326 times
Quebec city will be the next NHL city. If I had any money I'd take bets on that!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,201,732 times
Still can't believe Houston is no longer mentioned unlike ten years ago. Good arena, hockey history in different leagues, huge population (I know that doesn't mean anything in parts of America].

The MLS has been there a few years, and they must have a decent following in that diverse area. How could the NHlL ignore the 4th or 5th largest TV market? Wouldn't it be a better choice than small-market KC?

Dallas' ownership and attendance woes don't help, but hopefully that can stabilize and Dallas become a shining star of the hockey south again.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Still can't believe Houston is no longer mentioned unlike ten years ago. Good arena, hockey history in different leagues, huge population (I know that doesn't mean anything in parts of America].

The MLS has been there a few years, and they must have a decent following in that diverse area. How could the NHL ignore the 4th or 5th largest TV market? Wouldn't it be a better choice than small-market KC?

Dallas' ownership and attendance woes don't help, but hopefully that can stabilize and Dallas become a shining star of the hockey south again.
Yeah Houston would be a good idea, 6.1 million people plus. That's a big market size. A lot bigger than Milwaukee's 2.1 Million. Whenever teams in Milwaukee talk about Milwaukee's small TV market size they always say "well in an hour drive of Milwaukee you over 4 million people" but a lot of that is Northern IL or the Chicago metro area which is 20-25 min away. I don't know how many people from Libertyville would make the drive north to Milwaukee to watch a NHL team from another state.

San Diego(3.2M) is the next largest metro after Houston without a team followed by Portland(2.3M) not counting Baltimore(DC is too close).

Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times
Quote:

The MLS has been there a few years, and they must have a decent following in that diverse area. How could the NHlL ignore the 4th or 5th largest TV market? Wouldn't it be a better choice than small-market KC?

Houston waiting to become major-league hockey town - Houston Chronicle

The apparent issue with a franchise in Houston is that under the leasing agreement for the Toyota Center, any NHL franchise that plays there has to be owned by Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander. So if another ownership group wants to bring an NHL team to Houston, they'll have to build a new venue or find some other pre-existing location suitable for hockey.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,597,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Houston waiting to become major-league hockey town - Houston Chronicle

The apparent issue with a franchise in Houston is that under the leasing agreement for the Toyota Center, any NHL franchise that plays there has to be owned by Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander. So if another ownership group wants to bring an NHL team to Houston, they'll have to build a new venue or find some other pre-existing location suitable for hockey.

And that shed quite a bit of light on why " Houston " to this day doesn't have NHL when Dallas does.........

Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times
Quote:

The MLS has been there a few years, and they must have a decent following in that diverse area. How could the NHL ignore the 4th or 5th largest TV market? Wouldn't it be a better choice than small-market KC?

Well, for one, Dallas (DFW) is the 4th largest market and Houston is about the 6th or 7th.

But yeah, I think NHL could work in Houston. It may happen eventually, but I do believe that Quebec will be the first to recieve a franchise (again) before H-town.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,597,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well, for one, Dallas (DFW) is the 4th largest market and Houston is about the 6th or 7th.

But yeah, I think NHL could work in Houston. It may happen eventually, but I do believe that Quebec will be the first to recieve a franchise (again) before H-town.
Well not in the San Francisco Bay Area and Metro Boston and Metro Washington DC not speaking about the U.S. Census
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey