Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:23 AM

3,757 posts, read 2,589,939 times

Advertisements

I assume the majority of sports fans watch some of both league's playoffs..
Personally, I prefer NHL over NBA. I think both leagues allow too many teams in to the postseason (it diminishes the significance of their regular season tilts). Both postseasons are marathons, w/often mediocre bottom seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,278,249 times
Hate the the dunk league

Old 05-06-2018, 10:34 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,980,079 times
So undramatic that the Finals will be a 4 to 0 maasacre. Maybe if the Celtics had Irving and Haywood it would have been a fair battle

Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 PM

8,809 posts, read 10,271,066 times
What a shocker, LeBron is about to head to yet another Conference Finals. Cleveland should have no problem disposing of whoever comes out of the Celtics/76ers series, probably sweep in humiliating fashion too.

Compare that to Washington finally taking down 2x champ Pittsburgh after years of frustration. You can get that in Hockey, no one is beating LeBron in the NBA except for the stacked Warriors.

And yet, all that will get talked about of these NBA playoffs from the talking heads at ESPN and the like will be more LeBron vs. Jordan segments, because there will be nothing else to talk about. What a joke.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 AM

3,757 posts, read 2,589,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Washington finally taking down 2x champ Pittsburgh after years of frustration. You can get that in Hockey, no one is beating LeBron in the NBA except for the stacked Warriors.

And yet, all that will get talked about of these NBA playoffs from the talking heads at ESPN .. will be more LeBron vs. Jordan segments..What a joke.
ESPN-ABC axis has a self-interest in hyping up NBA. They broadcast the NBA games, & spend all day hyping up/advertising the games (while virtually ignoring NHL)..
I get it, they're trying to make a living w/the NBA. But I agree with u, it makes ESPN's sports coverage shallow & predictable.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM

17,448 posts, read 15,575,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
What a shocker, LeBron is about to head to yet another Conference Finals. Cleveland should have no problem disposing of whoever comes out of the Celtics/76ers series, probably sweep in humiliating fashion too.

Compare that to Washington finally taking down 2x champ Pittsburgh after years of frustration. You can get that in Hockey, no one is beating LeBron in the NBA except for the stacked Warriors.

And yet, all that will get talked about of these NBA playoffs from the talking heads at ESPN and the like will be more LeBron vs. Jordan segments, because there will be nothing else to talk about. What a joke.
Which is my issue with the NBA/basketball in general, and why I've taken more of a liking to soccer (yes, that includes the MLS) over the NBA. Basketball is a fun sport, but the fact that one guy on a poor team can take them all the way (Kobe, Lebron, etc.) just takes the excitement away. A stacked Warrior team (stacked meaning 3 or 4 star players) are virtually invincible in their division...

Meanwhile, in the NHL, a stacked Penguins squad had no guarantee of anything. A stacked Blackhawks team didn't make the playoffs. A team of mediocres in Vegas is going to conference finals. The Predators and Jets, two teams made up of good (but not star) players battling it to the death in a Game 7. It's exciting to watch and follow, because there is no guarantee of anything.

Soccer is the same way. No one player is going to single-handily take his team to the finals. It's a whole team effort.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,747,508 times
I watch both, but nowhere near as much basketball. Additionally, the seasons are roughly mirrors of each other, and this becomes more apparent during the playoffs. If you have an NBA game and an NHL game on at 7:00 PM, I'm choosing hockey every time.

Basketball seems more like a spring/summer type of thing, so maybe someone with more basketball history knowledge can clue me in on why it's played during the winter.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,980,079 times
NBA takes half an hour to play the last 2 minutes with its timeouts, that reason alone is why it inferior to hockey which goes and goes with excitement at the end.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM

2,952 posts, read 5,214,331 times
For all the NBA is boring dialogue, they had two game 7s in their conference finals this year.

Not in the NHL!

NHL had relatively few game 7s this year.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,881,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
For all the NBA is boring dialogue, they had two game 7s in their conference finals this year.

Not in the NHL!

NHL had relatively few game 7s this year.

That wouldn't matter to me at all. Hockey is more exciting regardless of series length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey