Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine an NHL superstar saying something like this, before his season is actually over?.....I can't.

Chris Paul will 'think about' signing with Michael Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times
I am a bit disappointed, . . . because I have seen far greater examples of IDIOCY from the idiots in the NBA.
The hockey community has 1,000 times more class than those in basketball.
I challenge you to provide better, more shocking examples, . . . whether Rodman or that buffoon Lebron James. I cannot be bothered to watch that NBA crap, so I dont know any more than that!
besides, . . .
IT IS 4 HOURS, 48 minutes TO GAME 1 VANCOUVER vs. CHICAGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I am a bit disappointed, . . . because I have seen far greater examples of IDIOCY from the idiots in the NBA.
I challenge you to provide better, more shocking examples, . . . whether Rodman or that buffoon Lebron James. I cannot be bothered to watch that NBA crap, so I dont know any more than that!
besides, . . .
IT IS 4 HOURS, 48 minutes TO GAME 1 VANCOUVER vs. CHICAGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, you still have people like Nash and Duncan in the NBA, so there's some hope.....
but you also have your Kobes, LeBrons, Arenas, Delmonte West....etc, etc...list goes on.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I love both the NBA and the NHL, but threads like this are complete buffoonery. For every example of idiocy in the NBA, I can find something that makes the NHL look like a bunch of classless thugs. How about Todd Bertuzzi whacking Steve Moore? What about Marty McSorley whacking Don Brashear? How about Tie Domi fighting a fan? Dale Hunter's shot at Pierre Turgeon late in a playoff game, after a goal was scored?

Yup, sure looks like the NHL is a bunch of choir boys

Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I love both the NBA and the NHL, but threads like this are complete buffoonery. For every example of idiocy in the NBA, I can find something that makes the NHL look like a bunch of classless thugs. How about Todd Bertuzzi whacking Steve Moore? What about Marty McSorley whacking Don Brashear? How about Tie Domi fighting a fan? Dale Hunter's shot at Pierre Turgeon late in a playoff game, after a goal was scored?

Yup, sure looks like the NHL is a bunch of choir boys
I never claimed the NHL were Choirboys. The fights and hard hitting make it more entertaining.
The OP raised the issue of stupid idiotic comments 'off the court', which I agree with and contend that there are many more EVEN BETTER examples from the NBA.
(with the exception of Nash who has a bit of class)
The NHL contains their thuggery on the ice to entertain their fans, or as a result of rage in the spur of the moment.
When that idiot Sean Avery shot his mouth off, they KICKED him OUT OF THE LEAGUE and sent him to the looney bin to get his head checked out before they would allow him back.
Whereas,
Far too many NBA players act like idiots and thugs in all aspects of their lives on and off the court.
and
If they gave NBA players the Sean Avery treatment every time they shot their mouths off and said something stupid and idiotic, . . . then each team would only be left with 3 or 4 players who are not in the looney bin.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
If they gave NBA players the Sean Avery treatment every time they shot their mouths off and said something stupid and idiotic, . . . then each team would only be left with 3 or 4 players who are not in the looney bin.
Rubbish.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM

If an NHL player did what Paul did, even if it was Crosby or one of the Sedins, his own team would SUSPEND him, even if it was for a playoff game......what Paul did was bogus...if the season was over, that's one thing, but the Hornets are going to the playoffs....

Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
NHL - 98% caucasian
NFL - 30% caucasian
NBA - 10% caucasian

Hate to bring race into the equation, but regardless what some may say, it is a major reason for the difference in players attitudes and off field issues. I do not deny that there are many upstanding black players in both the NBA and NFL, but sadly, there are many that are not, and they are the ones you hear about.

When was the last time an NHL player:

Brought guns into the locker room and threatened a teammate? (Arenas/Crittenton)

Assaulted a fellow motorist on the side of the road? - along with MANY other charachter issues (Haynesworth)

Was arrested on weapons charges? (Burress/Lynch)

Attacked fans at the game? (Artest)

Has had multiple narcotics violations? (Jolly)

They don't. They respect the sport and each other. They are role models for the kids that look up to them. Those things listed are just a small handful of recent incidents. There are many, many more. Then you got the trash talk and bad attitudes that dominate the NBA and NFL. There is no shortage of it.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
NHL - 98% caucasian
NFL - 30% caucasian
NBA - 10% caucasian

Hate to bring race into the equation, but regardless what some may say, it is a major reason for the difference in players attitudes and off field issues. I do not deny that there are many upstanding black players in both the NBA and NFL, but sadly, there are many that are not, and they are the ones you hear about.

Brought guns into the locker room and threatened a teammate? (Arenas/Crittenton)

Assaulted a fellow motorist on the side of the road? - along with MANY other charachter issues (Haynesworth)

They don't. They respect the sport and each other. They are role models for the kids that look up to them. Those things listed are just a small handful of recent incidents. There are many, many more. Then you got the trash talk and bad attitudes that dominate the NBA and NFL. There is no shortage of it.
I'd be careful with that statement....
I'm not sure if it's black/white, as it could be american, non american.....
there have been a few incidents, like DUI's, involving black NHL players, but the ratio of trouble they have compared to the blacks in other sports (or at least in the NFL and NBA) is pretty minimal. Just about all of the 20 or 25 blacks in the NHL are Canadian.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
NHL - 98% caucasian
NFL - 30% caucasian
NBA - 10% caucasian

I can think of a few incidents incidents of NHL players and fans fighting. Domi fought a guy that jumped the glass while he was serving a penalty, and I don't recall the year, but I remember the entire Boston Bruins team climbing into the stands in New York and fighting fans. Also Rick Rypien (formerly of Vancouver) took a swing at a fan a year or two ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey