Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,842 times

Advertisements

............what happened to church and family and other figures for expecting "role models"?

Egregious crimes are one thing but in all honesty the amount of time and effort we sports fans give to following (and bellyaching) about so and so's character is the same time and effort that our girlfriends and wives focus on movie celebreties and pop idols, a practice WE males (generally) ridicule.

Big offenses aside, Off the court/field/ice, I couldn't give two craps what an athlete does, they're humans drawn from the same pool as your or me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I'd be careful with that statement....
I'm not sure if it's black/white, as it could be american, non american.....
there have been a few incidents, like DUI's, involving black NHL players, but the ratio of trouble they have compared to the blacks in other sports (or at least in the NFL and NBA) is pretty minimal. Just about all of the 20 or 25 blacks in the NHL are Canadian.
I know this is a hockey forum, so I don't want to get too off line, but does the CFL see the same level of criminal incidents and bad attitudes that the NFL and NBA do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I can think of a few incidents incidents of NHL players and fans fighting. Domi fought a guy that jumped the glass while he was serving a penalty, and I don't recall the year, but I remember the entire Boston Bruins team climbing into the stands in New York and fighting fans. Also Rick Rypien (formerly of Vancouver) took a swing at a fan a year or two ago.
I threw the Artest incident in there for good measure, and you called me on it. Good job. I recognize that fan/player altercations are not as uncommon as some of the other issues, but they are bad news for their respective leagues nonetheless.

[quote=waltlantz;18779824]
Quote:
what happened to church and family and other figures for expecting "role models"?
They exist. Just on a slightly different level. It is wishful thinking, but sports figures will always top the popularity charts.

Quote:
Big offenses aside, Off the court/field/ice, I couldn't give two craps what an athlete does, they're humans drawn from the same pool as your or me.[/
What is your definition of a "big offense"? And I beg to differ. They are in an enlightened position. They should be held to a higher standard than us common folk. If any commoner did some of the things they get away with, and disrespect their employer in the process, that individual would most likely lose their job. These atheletes get away with a lot, because they represent talent and $$$$ for the owners. They are in many ways above the law.

I got popped on a drug test many years back because I took a couple hits of reefer at a Christmas party a week earlier. Guess what? I was unemployed soon after. Some of these stooges are on their third and fourth failed tests, and somehow they keep gettin' paid. Kids don't look up to me, but they sure as hell look up to their sports hero's.

Just because you don't care what they do does not mean that they should not be held accountable, and coming back after a one or two game suspension for an offense that most normal people lose their jobs over is NOT accountability. It sends a bad message to impressionable youth.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
[quote=ditchlights;18789584]I know this is a hockey forum, so I don't want to get too off line, but does the CFL see the same level of criminal incidents and bad attitudes that the NFL and NBA do?

I threw the Artest incident in there for good measure, and you called me on it. Good job. I recognize that fan/player altercations are not as uncommon as some of the other issues, but they are bad news for their respective leagues nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

They exist. Just on a slightly different level. It is wishful thinking, but sports figures will always top the popularity charts.

What is your definition of a "big offense"? And I beg to differ. They are in an enlightened position. They should be held to a higher standard than us common folk. If any commoner did some of the things they get away with, and disrespect their employer in the process, that individual would most likely lose their job. These atheletes get away with a lot, because they represent talent and $$$$ for the owners. They are in many ways above the law.

I got popped on a drug test many years back because I took a couple hits of reefer at a Christmas party a week earlier. Guess what? I was unemployed soon after. Some of these stooges are on their third and fourth failed tests, and somehow they keep gettin' paid. Kids don't look up to me, but they sure as hell look up to their sports hero's.

Just because you don't care what they do does not mean that they should not be held accountable, and coming back after a one or two game suspension for an offense that most normal people lose their jobs over is NOT accountability. It sends a bad message to impressionable youth.
In regard to the CFL question...no.
With the Domi incident, the fan went to attack Domi in the penalty box, so Domi was just defending himself. The league didn't even fine him...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times
To deviate slightly from the hockey topic,
comparing the CFL to the NFL is just like comparing Canadian beer to American beer.
The American product is a Huge mega marketed entity that is all about hype, money and mass volume, . . .
while the Canadian product has an honest purity, and is crisper and CLEANER, (with a smooth finish and no bitter aftertaste)

Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
NHL is the only league where the players have class

Imagine a basketball player getting 25 stitches and coming back in to finish the game... i think i have a better chance of winning the lotto

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 AM

and lately, I have been hearing of certain athletes collecting 25 million dollar paychecks and then crying that it is no different than 'slavery'
WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE MORONIC CLUELESS, OUT-OF-TOUCH IDIOTS ???? and cant they be euthanized ???
I guarantee you will NEVER hear that kind of crap from a hockey player.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I have been hearing of certain athletes collecting 25 million dollar paychecks and then crying that it is no different than 'slavery'
Who said that?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
NHL - 98% caucasian
NFL - 30% caucasian
NBA - 10% caucasian

Hate to bring race into the equation, but regardless what some may say, it is a major reason for the difference in players attitudes and off field issues. I do not deny that there are many upstanding black players in both the NBA and NFL, but sadly, there are many that are not, and they are the ones you hear about.

When was the last time an NHL player:

Brought guns into the locker room and threatened a teammate? (Arenas/Crittenton)

Assaulted a fellow motorist on the side of the road? - along with MANY other charachter issues (Haynesworth)

Was arrested on weapons charges? (Burress/Lynch)

Attacked fans at the game? (Artest)

Has had multiple narcotics violations? (Jolly)

They don't. They respect the sport and each other. They are role models for the kids that look up to them. Those things listed are just a small handful of recent incidents. There are many, many more. Then you got the trash talk and bad attitudes that dominate the NBA and NFL. There is no shortage of it.

The more I read sports forums, the harder it is for me to tell them apart from Stormfront.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Who said that?
there were 2 football players who said that when the owners make so much more money than they do, that it is equivalent to slavery.
(I posted a comment explaining that this was CAPITALISM, and called their supporters Communists)
I will search for the articles.
Further,
Jesse jackson said that the comments made about Lebron James by the owner of Cleveland was like he was slandering a runaway slave.
THESE are all examples of the buffoonery and idiotics you WONT find in hockey.
on the CONTRARY,
I recall seeing an interview with a young hockey player who went down to block a shot and had his windpipe crushed, and thus his NHL career ended. The reporter was some kind of retarded liberal who was trying to make the ex-player feel bitter, but the ex-player was all smiles and said that he was so honored to have been able to play in the NHL even for such a short time.
that is toughness, bravery, humility and gratitude, which are sadly lacking in the other 3 north American sports.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Who said that?
Here we go:

Black athletes are 'slaves': NY Times columnist - The Daily Princetonian

http://www.frostillustrated.com/atf....ion=2010-12-08

http://boycewatkins.wordpress.com/20...n-and-slavery/

You could not make this stuff up: if you did, people wouldn't believe you.

You know, they probably are slaves. So, let's just ditch the NFL and end this slavery-on-$15-million-a-year and be done with it. They can go back to playing dice in the 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey