Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,362,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
there should'nt be more than 20 teams in the league, all north american sports leagues are way overexpanded. the quality of play on the field is horrible. too many minor leaguers with guaranteed spots. too little competition.

it's been that way for so long people have no idea how it'd be different.
What a flawed theory. Build fewer teams from more stars and then what do you have? The same game, because the stratification by skill level will persist. Then you're looking at the new lower end players and saying "the league is too big" again. All you'll accomplish is diminishing overall interest and effectively weakening the supply of players, which is opposite the desired result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,860,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The city of Glendale just spent $25 million on a stadium, sorry the Coyotes stay
That might mean the city's committed, but if they can't find an owner to keep it in Phoenix they're gone. The NHL's not going to continuously bail them out season after season.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,566,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What a flawed theory. Build fewer teams from more stars and then what do you have? The same game, because the stratification by skill level will persist. Then you're looking at the new lower end players and saying "the league is too big" again. All you'll accomplish is diminishing overall interest and effectively weakening the supply of players, which is opposite the desired result.
I don't understand how you can not get it.

Less jobs , less positions = less minor league quality players , you know, less "lower end players" b/c well, there just aint that many jobs out there

"fewer teams from more stars" = more stars on each team = more exciting teams with more stars on said teams per capita, think the excitement re: Miami Heat b/c of the big 3 on there now. With over expantion you don't see powerhouse teams like that -- too many jobs.

"stratification by skill level will persist" = cute phrase, did you make that up yourself? no it won't, actually teams will choose more skilled over less skilled everytime

"weakening the supply of players" = actually the opposite will happen, there will be way more competition for jobs and you get better effort and guys fighting to keep themselves in the starting lineup and playing great outside of contract years b/c they'll know somebody is waiting in the wings to replace them whose talent is much closer to theirs than before.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,561 times
I would like some more teams in Canada.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM

294 posts, read 744,566 times
I was a hockey fan since 1970 but stopped following in 2000 when the league hit 30 teams. Just too many teams, too many players.

Ideally I'd like to see a 16-team NHL but haven't really thought about which franchises should be eliminated.

If they're going to stay with 30 teams, then what I'd really like to see is having the East and West conferences be as two separate leagues, like the American and National League in baseball.

With 30 teams it doesn't make sense to have a balanced schedule with only 84 games. Teams would play the bulk of their games against teams within their conference, with perhaps two weeks of the season with a few "interleague" games like baseball. This would build stronger rivalries.

Another thing is that the two conferences would not be broken into smaller divisions. I really hate these 4-team divisions which are meaningless because in order to determine the playoff teams, the league DISMANTLES the divisions in the last weeks of the season in order to list the teams in order of points!!! If that's the criteria, then don't have small divisions to begin with! Just have 15 teams listed, with the first 8 making the playoffs in order of most points.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,860,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I was a hockey fan since 1970 but stopped following in 2000 when the league hit 30 teams. Just too many teams, too many players.

Ideally I'd like to see a 16-team NHL but haven't really thought about which franchises should be eliminated.

If they're going to stay with 30 teams, then what I'd really like to see is having the East and West conferences be as two separate leagues, like the American and National League in baseball.

With 30 teams it doesn't make sense to have a balanced schedule with only 84 games. Teams would play the bulk of their games against teams within their conference, with perhaps two weeks of the season with a few "interleague" games like baseball. This would build stronger rivalries.

Another thing is that the two conferences would not be broken into smaller divisions. I really hate these 4-team divisions which are meaningless because in order to determine the playoff teams, the league DISMANTLES the divisions in the last weeks of the season in order to list the teams in order of points!!! If that's the criteria, then don't have small divisions to begin with! Just have 15 teams listed, with the first 8 making the playoffs in order of most points.
You stopped being a fan of the sport when they increased the NHL to 30 teams? Sorry.. that's not a true hockey fan.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
I start watching hockey when the playoffs start and then only if Montreal is in it, which by this years product wont have me watching too much hockey this year. as Montreal traded away its hope for the future. Guess i'm a Habs fan rather than a hockey fan.
Remembering the great teams from the 50's 60's and 70's the modern product just doesnt do it for me as its just too much about the money,if you are lucky you get one superstar on a team backed up with mediocre players,no team loyalty, stupid salary cap where by if a player gets good on your team he gets traded quickly lest he unbalances the teams salary cap,
Dynasties? wont happen again because as soon as a team wins the cup they can no longer afford to keep all their players.
How many teams should be in the league? well i guess if its mostly about the money then as long as a team is making money it has every reason to be there,but phoenix is a puzzle as its been losing money for a while and a cash offer from Basillie was offered for the team and the league refused it. Is empty seats in Phoenix better than full seats in Hamilton?

Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,566,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Remembering the great teams from the 50's 60's and 70's the modern product just doesnt do it for me as its just too much about the money,if you are lucky you get one superstar on a team backed up with mediocre players,no team loyalty, stupid salary cap where by if a player gets good on your team he gets traded quickly lest he unbalances the teams salary cap,
Dynasties? wont happen again because as soon as a team wins the cup they can no longer afford to keep all their players.
that's my point, on most every team there's really only one or two players you really look forward to watching nowadays. If there'd be less teams the talent would be concentrated more. Most people just can't see that though.

All these sports and games are really pale imitations of yesteryear. It used to be that there was always tough competition for your spot. Free agency has gone wild now , there's so much changing around there little consistency, all the players know each other, train with each other in the off season, or golf together at some event and rivalries are only for the fans now. A player that's played 2 years with a team and will leave at seasons end just doesn't have the passion for the historical rival team that players years ago did.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,101,452 times
I like having 30.

Florida Panthers to Winnipeg; NY Islanders to KC....

Florida only needs one team; Islanders should stop begging for a new stadium and just move to KC.

Redo the divisions:
West
West: Anaheim, Colorado, LA Kings, Phoenix, San Jose
North: Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Winnipeg (formally Florida), Vancouver
Central: Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, KC (formally NY Islanders), St. Louis

East
Southeast: Atlanta, Carolina, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington
Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
East: Columbus, NJ Devils, NY Rangers, Philly, Pittsburgh

Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,829,652 times
Houston, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey