Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 03:30 PM

47 posts, read 346,430 times

Advertisements

I would like to learn how to crochet blankets and things, but don't know where to start. I was going to buy a book with some supplies, but don't know where to go or what book I should buy or supplies for that matter. I want to buy something for beginners with maybe some more techniques once I become a little more advanced? Any advice or books to recommend? I don't have a lot of money to spend on this, I should mention. Thank you, I appreciate it! I am looking forward to my new hobby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
I picked up knitting and crocheting for dummies. It shows how to do the simplest stitches step by step. I think It even came with a pair of needles and a crochet hook and had several simple projects to start with. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I think you could learn how to crochet from just about any book, but IMHO it's a lot easier to learn from someone. Do you have a friend, relative, or neighbor who could show you? That's the fastest and easiest way to learn. Once you get the basics down a book is a viable option for learning new stitches. Around here you can learn to crochet at the yarn store, at the public library, at church, and at adult ed classes in the schools.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:36 PM

115 posts, read 446,857 times
I actually learned how to knit from cd. I also bought a cd for crocheting but haven't has a chance to try it. You can get it from Michael's or A.C. Moore. They have the 40% off coupon that you can print from the internet. I'd suggest practicing with the basic simple yarn before buying the fancy one. I bring my knitting with me everywhere even leave it in the car if I'm in dead stop traffic! Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
I agree that it is usually easier to learn from someone. I would start with the local library or park district/recreation center, if you have one near you. We have a group of ladies who gather at our local library to knit and crochet. they even have free yarn available. If you lived by me, I would show you how to crochet!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 PM

185 posts, read 252,878 times
I'll third Sunnydee's comment about learning from someone, I too think that's the easiest way.

I know Michael's has a beginners guide to crochet book that comes with crochet hooks and they sell yarn as well.

Walmart has yarn and pattern books but I don't think they have a basic beginners guide of stitches.

Crochet is very easy to do and relaxing too, I'm sure you will do great. Once you learn some basic stitches you can make afghans easily. My advice? Don't hold the yarn too tight!

Shelley

Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM

47 posts, read 346,430 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did go down to the store and purchased a beginners crochet book with some needs, threads, and yarn. I was frustrated the first day because I could not tell which way to pull the yarn from the pictures. So I went on the internet to youtube and looked up the chain stitch, single crochet stitch and double crochet stitch. I have taught myself this way and it is much easier than trying to follow that stupid book! I can rewind, pause, and watch first hand how it is done! Different techniques as well. I am happy I am learning this new hobby and soon will be able to make blankets and afghans, cool! The only thing I am having trouble with is the tension. I have not found anything that works for me just yet. With single crochet I just pull it through, using no tension technique, but with double crochet I am having a harder time controlling the yarn. Anyone care to offer any suggestions? I hope I can find something that works for me, or else I will have a hard time! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM

185 posts, read 652,674 times
I found a kit that might be helpful. Wal-Mart in Arts & Crafts has a book put out by Boye, it's $9.88 here. It's called I taught Myself To Crochet. The kit has about 6 popular crochet hooks, a section for left-handers, 3 patterns. Was thinking of buying it for my grand-daughter. LOL she called me about how to make a V stich.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw555...5 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did go down to the store and purchased a beginners crochet book with some needs, threads, and yarn. I was frustrated the first day because I could not tell which way to pull the yarn from the pictures. So I went on the internet to youtube and looked up the chain stitch, single crochet stitch and double crochet stitch. I have taught myself this way and it is much easier than trying to follow that stupid book! I can rewind, pause, and watch first hand how it is done! Different techniques as well. I am happy I am learning this new hobby and soon will be able to make blankets and afghans, cool! The only thing I am having trouble with is the tension. I have not found anything that works for me just yet. With single crochet I just pull it through, using no tension technique, but with double crochet I am having a harder time controlling the yarn. Anyone care to offer any suggestions? I hope I can find something that works for me, or else I will have a hard time! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!
I usually control the tension by running the yarn through my fingers. It's hard to explain, but as you crochet more you will get a feel for it. I'm glad you found crocheting on youtube! I never would've thought to look there. It sounds like you're doing great!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,457 times
Utube is a great way to learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation