Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 60,249 times

Advertisements

I am 17 and one of my fave hobbies is knitting does anyone else here knit? how old are you what have you knitted? I have knitted 2 sets of hand warmers a hairband/scrunchy a bangle a teddy (who has no arms) and a little treasure bag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Lydia, I'm four and a half times as old as you. I'm sorry to say that I've never been able to master knitting to my satisfaction. I do crochet, and do it quite well. But I've had many years to perfect the craft. I have a 16-year-old granddaughter who likes to knit and I'm so happy that she has begun early. As she ages, and I'm sure you as well,you both may find that just the mechanics of living - school, family, job, church - will take up a good deal of her time, but in those odd moments when nothing calls out for your attention, the craft of knitting will be a wonderful stress-reliever and results in a usable object as well. Good for you.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have been knitting since I was your age and it is a fun hobby. My advice is to find a good yarn store where there are classes and good books with cute ideas for things to make. My daughter in law knitted like crazy in college and made hundreds of scarves which she sold for spending money. I have found, with any hobby like this, that we are driven to create, but then run out of things to do with it all. I found that if I chose more complicated things to knit it took me longer to complete and so I didn't need to think of something else to make for awhile.
Enjoy the creative outlet!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Lydia, check out ravelry - it's all knitting (and crochet) all the time! It's got tons of patterns and very active forums. I'm 50 and I like to knit handwarmers, but have also made hats, scarves and sweaters. The sweaters were only little ones for my niece and nephew. It would take me forever to do a sweater for an adult.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Lydia, check out ravelry - it's all knitting (and crochet) all the time! It's got tons of patterns and very active forums. I'm 50 and I like to knit handwarmers, but have also made hats, scarves and sweaters. The sweaters were only little ones for my niece and nephew. It would take me forever to do a sweater for an adult.
I'm almost 49, and I've been knitting for about six or seven years. Learned to knit when I was a kid, but forgot some basics, so put it aside til a friend filled me in. I started knitting dishcloths. and have done scarves, shawls, fingerless mitts, and various other things.

I second the suggestion to join Ravelry - tons of info, free patterns, great people to talk to, etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 PM

10 posts, read 60,249 times

my friend is on Ravelry, she already told me to and i've been meaning to
i have tonnes of copies of Simply knitting and two lovely knitting books one i've used to teach myself to knit properly, and the second has cute patterns in
i've always wanted to crochet aswell as knit but none of my family know how, my friend who is on ravelry however has told me when we meet up (shes my age and we met on a forum called craftbubble) she will try to teach me

Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaHoffman View Post

my friend is on Ravelry, she already told me to and i've been meaning to
i have tonnes of copies of Simply knitting and two lovely knitting books one i've used to teach myself to knit properly, and the second has cute patterns in
i've always wanted to crochet aswell as knit but none of my family know how, my friend who is on ravelry however has told me when we meet up (shes my age and we met on a forum called craftbubble) she will try to teach me
If you haven't been, and would like to see new techniques, go to Knitting Help and watch videos. Whether you're a thrower or a picker, they have videos to show how to do various stitches. I find it very helpful when I just can't seem to visualize how a stitch is made.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I attempted to knit a scarf last summer to wear for the winter, but one end was about 8 inches wide and the other end about 14 inches wide. Not sure where I went wrong, but I wore it with pride!

I haven't knitted since...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation