Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times

Advertisements

Talking to Coon Dog reminds me of the guy who went to Jerusalem on his vacation and visited the Wailing Wall. He approched an old guy who was praying at the wall and asked him what he prayed for.

"I pray that God grants peace and understanding between Israel and our neighbors".

"Does God answer your prayers?"

"Acch" was the old man's reply "It's like talking to a f#*%ing wall".

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

177 posts, read 266,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Talking to Coon Dog reminds me of the guy who went to Jerusalem on his vacation and visited the Wailing Wall. He approched an old guy who was praying at the wall and asked him what he prayed for.

"I pray that God grants peace and understanding".

"Does God answer your prayers?"

"Acch" was the old man's reply "It's like talking to a f#*%ing wall".

Are you angling for a Supreme Court Justice position under Obama?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
Are you angling for a Supreme Court Justice position under Obama?

See, that's indicitive of why you can't discuss history seriously; you let your modern politics inform your view of history. Being a reactionary you want to believe the reactionaries of previous times were justified. I fall prey to that myself but I've enough sense to know I do it and try to compensate for it.

Where do you stand on property qualifications for voting? Sulla or Marius?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,712 times
Okay I would love to hop into this, mind you I read the first couple pages and the last few, but did not read all 24 pages.

The south was within its legal right in the constitution to succeed.
Thus Lincoln declaring war was against the law

Lincoln was a racist, read any non-tainted writings on him. if this war was really about slavery... why did he only free slaves in southern states that he had no legal authority to control?

Who writes the history books? The winners. If Nazi Germany won the war, we would be condoning the horrible UN for trying to stop him.

Drinking Kool-Aid is bad for educational development.

No major Confederate General had salves. Grant and his wife owned 5+ slaves between them.

During the American Civil War, Lincoln used the war powers of the presidency to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, which declared "all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free" but exempted border states and those areas of slave states already under Union control. Why would he do this? as a WAR TACTIC not as a humanitarian deed.

W.E.B. Du Bois had published in The Crisis magazine in May 1922. Du Bois wrote that Lincoln was one huge jumble of contradictions: “he was big enough to be inconsistent—cruel, merciful; peace-loving, a fighter; despising Negroes and letting them fight and vote; protecting slavery and freeing slaves. He was a man—a big, inconsistent, brave man.”

Or how about lincolns own speech?
“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”
Lincoln Home National Historic Site - Fourth Debate: Charleston, Illinois (U.S. National Park Service)

This war was due to a corrupt North, and the South not wanting to deal with it.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
See, that's indicitive of why you can't discuss history seriously; you let your modern politics inform your view of history. Being a reactionary you want to believe the reactionaries of previous times were justified. I fall prey to that myself but I've enough sense to know I do it and try to compensate for it.

Where do you stand on property qualifications for voting? Sulla or Marius?
When even Irish are drinking (and spouting) 'big government' kool aide, I find I have better things to do...

"To deny this right [of State secession] would be inconsistent with the principle on which all our political systems are founded, which is, that the people have in all cases, a right to determine how they will be governed."
William Rawle, 'A View of the Constitution of the United States of America,' 1829
(Mod Cut)

Last edited by Thyra; 01-13-2010 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: POST LINKS NOT ENTIRE ARTICLE

Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
I find I have better things to do...

Anything you'd do would be better than what you've been doing.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Who writes the history books? The winners.

Well such a trite statement makes it obvious you've read little history and as such you can be safely disregarded. Go join Coon Dog in the corner. I'll send some treats and chocolate milk around in a little while.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Anything you'd do would be better than what you've been doing.
Answer one simple question:

Should government be bound by morality (possibly including a "principled attachment to liberty," as you describe it), or by law?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,712 times
Quote:
Well such a trite statement makes it obvious you've read little history and as such you can be safely disregarded. Go join Coon Dog in the corner. I'll send some treats and chocolate milk around in a little while.
Your lack of response to the rest of my post, shows that you concede that they are correct, and thus try to attack the one little line that you feel can give you leverage and pull me away from the real topics which are the points that follow.

History is often written by the winners of war, and rarely is the outcome favorable to the loser.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEndings View Post
Avoiding the question as usual. Strangely enough the KKK was started after the Civil War. Why in the world would a black man fight in a way to ensure he would be a slave? Unless he is the Uncle Tom type.

Arizona was considered Confederate territory so +1 to the south and there backwards ways. Alabama didn't let whites and blacks marry until 2000. lol.

Hey I'd rather live in a northern slum then be around prejudice in the south.

At least you have manners, I'll give you that.

Why do you celebrate racist confederate songs? I didn't know that Cash was racist. He was the only good country singer worth listening too. Country music sucks in general, lol.

Well instead of complaining on an Internet forum go and get a government job. It's better than sitting here and hoping the south will rise again (secede).I've spoken to people in Alabama about Obama some people there think that he is the Anti-Christ.
I fail to see what your question is. The KKK of 1866 was alot different than today's. Firstly it was founded as a fraternity, and then morphed into an anti-reconstructionist faction, then aimed it's violence towards blacks, the Imperial Wizard Forrest was the man who disbanded it all in 1870 because of all the violence.

And since you failed to do your own research I will do it for you. Nelson W. Winbush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
History of the Civil War

And no, Arizona is as far removed from anything southern oriented, it was the wild untamed west in the civil war where a few skirmishes were fought, but nothing else.

Maybe we should bring some things up on New Jersey, it much like other northern states initiated "black codes" which (depending on the state) limited black populations or off-limits for blacks to even settle there, Jim Crow laws were born up there you know.

List of Jim Crow law examples by State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And your hatred of the south shines through again, you and angus can meet up and spiel all day about how much the south sucks.

And "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by Johnny Cash is not even close to anything remotely racist in any remote way, you are just in your blind hatred for anything southern that disagrees with YOU and you just find reasons to hate stuff, especially about the south. But I will agree that modern Country sucks in general, that is why I listen to the 30-50 year old classic country hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History