Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
It is 1863 in New City, the North went to war to free the slaves...but they are lynching and beating blacks destroying their homes...and the South is evil but the North is not.

Thanks for helping make my case against you Pee Wee.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 01-13-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,866,148 times
Even if we agree that the north was evil incarnate, that has little to do with why the South chose to leave the Union Many here seem to be determined to reject the clear evidence that the south left primarily over slavery, by arguing that the north was evil. But whether the north was evil or not, has little to do with whether slavery was the central issue in the southern decision.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM

177 posts, read 266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the Federals were fighting to destroy slavery, all the reasonable people here seem to agree the main goal of The United States was to destroy rebellion and preserve the Union.

You know what Canoe, you're like Goebbels. You just keep nattering away regardless of the truth or arguments that are inconvenient to your notions and think that if you blather on with enough vehemence maybe someone is gonna get sucked in. And like a child you seem to think that it's OK when you do a bad thing if someone else is also doing a bad thing.

And you're not helping the cause of the reasonable people here who take a view other than the strict Unionist one.

The War Between the States was basically a clash of cultures and would have sooner or later been fought over something else.

Just read and sign:

To: Spineless Politicians
We, as citizens of the sovereign States of the South
Declaration of Southern Cultural Independence Petition

Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM

22 posts, read 19,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
ONE of the main reasons anyway. I didn't admit anything, heck I'm related to Robert E. Lee, the one general who spoke in favor of using official black troops. Black Confederate Soldiers are not a revisionist fantasy, I implore you, look up Louis Napoleon Nelson a black soldier who served under Nathan Bedford Forrest and Nelson Winbush, Louis' grandson. Thirdly, think in terms of 1860, much of the rhetoric back then would be the standard among whites at the time.

Unlike how many think that Jim Crow laws were exclusive to the south, I would like you to know that there were laws here in Arizona in the 1950s that would not let indians, latinos or blacks marry or use the same facilities with whites (an old story from my grandfather noted that colored sections on buses and segregated Greyhound terminals were the norm here).

And finally, 60 years ago, where do you think blacks had it good, at all, whether it was segregation in the U.S., slums in the northern U.S., serfdom and apretheid back in South Africa or poverty on most of the African continent?

Thanks, but no thanks on the invite, New Jersey isn't on my travel list.
Avoiding the question as usual. Strangely enough the KKK was started after the Civil War. Why in the world would a black man fight in a way to ensure he would be a slave? Unless he is the Uncle Tom type.

Arizona was considered Confederate territory so +1 to the south and there backwards ways. Alabama didn't let whites and blacks marry until 2000. lol.

Hey I'd rather live in a northern slum then be around prejudice in the south.

At least you have manners, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I've heard Frog's song time and again, and I still don't care for it, I prefer Johnny Cash's "The Night They Drove old Dixie Down". Second of all I don't hate the U.S., I hate how it is run. I love the American flag and I don't call Obama a communist or a muslim, traitor might be more accurate. I never once compared Lincoln to anyone. So there goes your BS baseless claims.
Why do you celebrate racist confederate songs? I didn't know that Cash was racist. He was the only good country singer worth listening too. Country music sucks in general, lol.

Well instead of complaining on an Internet forum go and get a government job. It's better than sitting here and hoping the south will rise again (secede).I've spoken to people in Alabama about Obama some people there think that he is the Anti-Christ.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM

22 posts, read 19,969 times
Quote:
Please tell me again the causes of the War Of Northern Aggression

New Jersey laws:

Slaves from other states here without permission to be jailed. Replaced by Act of Dec.26,1826

Disorderly or riotously assembled slaves liable to be jailed or whipped.

Slaves away from master's house after ten at night, or hunting or carrying gun on Sunday, liable to be jailed or whipped.

Slaves not be witnesses

Finder of slave ten miles from master's home without permission to have reward for returning slave to master.

A21
Stop trying to defend slavery. Most northerners knew that slavery was morally wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
The War Between the States was basically a clash of cultures and would have sooner or later been fought over something else.

Just read and sign:

To: Spineless Politicians
We, as citizens of the sovereign States of the South
Declaration of Southern Cultural Independence Petition
"The national culture of the United States is violent and profane, coarse and rude, cynical and deviant, and repugnant to the Southern people and to every people with authentic Christian sensibilities"

^ LOL what hypocrites. Like the words in bold do not describe the Confederacy that you guys are so proud of preserving and protecting.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 PM

900 posts, read 673,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEndings View Post
Avoiding the question as usual. Strangely enough the KKK was started after the Civil War. Why in the world would a black man fight in a way to ensure he would be a slave? Unless he is the Uncle Tom type.

Arizona was considered Confederate territory so +1 to the south and there backwards ways. Alabama didn't let whites and blacks marry until 2000. lol.

Hey I'd rather live in a northern slum then be around prejudice in the south.

At least you have manners, I'll give you that.

Why do you celebrate racist confederate songs? I didn't know that Cash was racist. He was the only good country singer worth listening too. Country music sucks in general, lol.

Well instead of complaining on an Internet forum go and get a government job. It's better than sitting here and hoping the south will rise again (secede).I've spoken to people in Alabama about Obama some people there think that he is the Anti-Christ.

Johnny Cash wasn't a racist. The country music establishment hated him because he had people like Neil Young and Bob Dylan on his television show. To pay them back, he took out a full page ad in Billboard magazine showing this:

Johnny Cash’s Finger « Iconic Photos

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

900 posts, read 673,185 times
Quote:
"recognized the South's inalienable right to buy and sell black people, etc. etc. etc."

Please tell us why New Jersey permitted slavery as late as 1845 and why the North went to war. Why New Jersey recognized the right to buy and sell black people as late as 1845. "Funny stuff" as you stated.

For the millionth time, the North went to war to preserve the Union. In fact, Lincoln saved you guys from yourselves.

You, on the other hand, went to war to preserve slavery.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post

Take away the slaves and Jim Crow and the most important cultural differences disappear as is happening in the South today. A fella in Charlotte wearing Bass weejums and eating at Ruby Tuesdays is pretty much like a fella in Columbus or Phoenix doing the same thing. And NOTHING sets off the southern bougeois like comparing them to fellas like Coon Dog does.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
For the millionth time, the North went to war to preserve the Union. In fact, Lincoln saved you guys from yourselves.

You, on the other hand, went to war to preserve slavery.

You are wrong. The south wanted the constitution to be followed and to allow states to decide their individual fates. If you believe Roe Vs Wade is wrong and that states should decide for themselves if abortion is murder or not, then you are arguing the very thing the south argued in the 1850s and early 1860s. Since the north wouldn't let the states rule themselves, as the US constitution proscribes, then they split off from the North, and it was legal for them to do so. To argue they had no legal right to secede is to argue that we do not have the Freedom the constitution originally granted us.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Take away the slaves and Jim Crow and the most important cultural differences disappear as is happening in the South today. A fella in Charlotte wearing Bass weejums and eating at Ruby Tuesdays is pretty much like a fella in Columbus or Phoenix doing the same thing. And NOTHING sets off the southern bougeois like comparing them to fellas like Coon Dog does.
Now, don't get me wrong, I think slavery sucks, but the fact is the war wasn't fought over slaves, it was fought over the Feds thinking they ruled the states and not the other way around. Slavery would have ended quickly, machinery was taking care of that.

If you can can seriously say this is now a UNITED States of America, then more power to you. It is far from it. The divisions are too great. We are not united any longer and revolution is inevitable. If you can't see that, then I feel sorry for you because when it happens you will be sitting their scratching your head. There is never going to be a meeting of the minds on things like abortion, size of government, socialized medicine, a Communist in the WH trying to change the Constitution, 2nd Amendment rights, 10th Amendment rights, corrupt groups like ACORN, SEIU, unions, I could go on and on.

Have a Dixie day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.