Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 03:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The protestant Irish are usually proud Ulster men or women, the Ulster regiments of the British Army being renowned for their bravery. They can often trace their history back to events in 1690, hence the Orange parades and Orange men.
Ulster is by far the Protestant hold, historically and presently, in Ireland. Though Dublin, being the capital and primate city of Ireland also had a history of strong Protestant influence from the 17th through the 19th centuries.

In fact, some of the chief, and most well known institutions of Dublin are Protestant in origin such as Trinity College which was originally established to train church Ministers. Another hallowed Irish institution, the Guinness brewery was also founded by Protestants which is why hardcore Irish nationalists drink Murphy's.

Another often underestimated factor in Irish protestantism on the Republic side of the island is how many protestants were not of Anglo-Scottish or English origin, but were immigrants from the Netherlands, French Huguenots, and German palatinates, most of whom were part of the Reform tradition and doctrinally well in line with the Presbyterians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 02:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I've only met one person who confused the two, and that was on this forum (she just kept insisting the Irish didn't come to America until the 19th century and couldn't get her head around the fact that Scots-Irish wasn't the same as Irish). In real life, I've never met anyone who didn't know what Scots-Irish was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullish Rab View Post
You should read Ulster Sails West as it gives a good lot about the Ulster-Scots. They did not like been called Irish and let those who were at the ports on their arrival know this

They did not regard themselves as Irish. In fact nothing infuriated them more than to be classed as Irish '

They protested but kept being classed as Irish and after a while more or less accepted it. However, this meant that achievements gained by them meant the Irish were given the credit by a lot of people.
Quote:
You should read Ulster Sails West as it gives a good lot about the Ulster-Scots. They did not like been called Irish and let those who were at the ports on their arrival know this

' They did not regard themselves as Irish. In fact nothing infuriated them more than to be classed as Irish '

They protested but kept being classed as Irish and after a while more or less accepted it. However, this meant that achievements gained by them meant the Irish were given the credit by a lot of people.
Excellent recommendation Ullish Rab it may clear up some confusion for PA2UK despite their vast knowledge concerning the subject of genealogy. I myself have the book since you recommended it to me a few years ago, thank you for that!

Old 10-11-2020, 12:21 PM

252 posts, read 89,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Excellent recommendation Ullish Rab it may clear up some confusion for PA2UK despite their vast knowledge concerning the subject of genealogy. I myself have the book since you recommended it to me a few years ago, thank you for that!
HomeIsWhere yes I thought so too. I'm glad you were able to get the book. God's Frontiersmen is a good read but think it might be hard to get now days. HomeIsWhere it's people like you who have an interest in our people. Who give us a bit of hope as its usually the Irish in America ( and elsewhere ) that get the most interest. Sometimes its as if we didn't exist . Thanks HIW

Old 10-11-2020, 01:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
I'm not confused at it, it was someone else I was referring to who was confused.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
HomeIsWhere yes I thought so too. I'm glad you were able to get the book.

God's Frontiersmen is a good read but think it might be hard to get now day.

HomeIsWhere it's people like you who have an interest in our people. Who give us a bit of hope as its usually the Irish in America ( and elsewhere ) that get the most interest. [Sometimes its as if we didn't exist .[/i] Thanks HIW
Thank you Ullish Rab, actually I've had the book since you initially recommended it some time back.

If one is willing to spend the money or stretch themselves to hunt for the book, they can find it!

God's Frontiersmen: The Scots Irish Epic Hardcover – March 1, 1989

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

God's Frontiersmen: The Scots Irish Epic
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-frontiersmen

As always Ullish Rab, it is my pleasure and definitely, my own selfish pursuits and curiosities. We certainly exist but in America, we are merely a drop in the bucket, the giant melting pot.

By a wide margin, the U.S. has more immigrants than any other country in the world. As of 2015, the United Nations estimates that 46.6 million people living in the United States were not born there. This means that about one-in-five international migrants (19%) live in the U.S. The U.S. immigrant population is nearly four times that of the world’s next largest immigrant destination – Germany, with about 12 million immigrants.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ide-migration/

Old 10-11-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you Ullish Rab, actually I've had the book since you initially recommended it some time back.

If one is willing to spend the money or stretch themselves to hunt for the book, they can find it!

God's Frontiersmen: The Scots Irish Epic Hardcover – March 1, 1989

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

God's Frontiersmen: The Scots Irish Epic
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-frontiersmen

As always Ullish Rab, it is my pleasure and definitely, my own selfish pursuits and curiosities. We certainly exist but in America, we are merely a drop in the bucket, the giant melting pot.

By a wide margin, the U.S. has more immigrants than any other country in the world. As of 2015, the United Nations estimates that 46.6 million people living in the United States were not born there. This means that about one-in-five international migrants (19%) live in the U.S. The U.S. immigrant population is nearly four times that of the world’s next largest immigrant destination – Germany, with about 12 million immigrants.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ide-migration/
HomeIsWhere For myself and for others in Ulster its good to know that at least some folk in America (like yourself) know their background as so many it seems believe it was the Irish who achieved the opening of the west etc.

As regards population the UK is going the same way with foreigners from all parts arriving illegally into the UK. The people here are kicking up about it but it does no good.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
HomeIsWhere For myself and for others in Ulster its good to know that at least some folk in America (like yourself) know their background as so many it seems believe it was the Irish who achieved the opening of the west etc.

As regards population the UK is going the same way with foreigners from all parts arriving illegally into the UK. The people here are kicking up about it but it does no good.
These are desperate people who believe they have better opportunities in other countries and of course they can and they will find better opportunities. They may also receive social benefits in their new homeland while at the same time they find some type of employment (illegally) as well.

All of this may work out to their advantage which is all well and good but not at the expense of the citizens who will ultimately bear the cost of the benefits. That is the salt in the wound that causes resentment and other negative feelings as well, unfortunately!

The common refrain...it is what it is!

Old 10-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
These are desperate people who believe they have better opportunities in other countries and of course they can and they will find better opportunities. They may also receive social benefits in their new homeland while at the same time they find some type of employment (illegally) as well.

All of this may work out to their advantage which is all well and good but not at the expense of the citizens who will ultimately bear the cost of the benefits. That is the salt in the wound that causes resentment and other negative feelings as well, unfortunately!

The common refrain...it is what it is!
Yes, it is as you say but I can't understand how they get away from bad times in their own country and pass though numerous other countries in Europe and make their way to the UK. Having said that, why does the UK accept them.

'but not at the expense of the citizens who will ultimately bear the costs of the benefits' In a way I don't blame them for taking all they can get. It is the government who allow this to happen who are to blame.

Anyway these people didn't receive benefits

From the early years of the eighteenth century, thousands of Ulster Scots emigrated to the Colonies of British North America, first to New England and then in much larger numbers to Pennsylvania. From thence they went southwards though the Great Valley, east of the Applachian Mountains, into the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and on to the Piedmont of North and South Carolina. Within three generations the line of the Appalachian range, from New England to Georgia was dotted with settlements of Ulster origin.
This was the beginning of the American Old West and the Scots-Irish people provided most of its pioneers, the archetypal frontiersman, Davy Crockett, was the son of an immigrant from Co Londonderry. They also left in the Appalachian region a rich heritage of material culture - the masonry skills of the Ulster Scot can be traced from the bawns or defensive walls of Plantation Ulster to the stone houses of Kentucky - a story-telling tradition and a legacy of music and dance which was the basis of Appalachian mountain culture.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Some pics from God's Frontiersmen might have posted some before.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is as you say but I can't understand how they get away from bad times in their own country and pass though numerous other countries in Europe and make their way to the UK. Having said that, why does the UK accept them.

As far as I can tell and what I hear from acquaintances in Greece is that these people are in no way being "allowed" or encouraged to come...either by the UK or any other country for that matter. They just go and overwhelm the citizens of any given place and then what? The whole world is watching as these countries do what? Start tossing them back into leaking rowboats with their children, their babies, their old people?

"Europe must not disappoint us," said Lesbos' outgoing mayor Spyros Galinos.

"We are still waiting for pressure on the Moria camp to be lifted. They keep coming and this creates a bottleneck," he said.

Most migrants want to move on to wealthier EU states such as Germany and France to rejoin relatives and find work unavailable in crisis-hit Greece. But EU borders have been closed for the past three years.
LESBOS ISLAND - When thousands of people fleeing war and poverty began arriving on their Greek island, many on Lesbos welcomed them. Four years later a sprawling local camp is packed with desperate asylum-seekers and migrants - and islanders' patience is wearing thin.

https://middle-east-online.com/en/fo...tranded-lesbos

'but not at the expense of the citizens who will ultimately bear the costs of the benefits' In a way I don't blame them for taking all they can get. It is the government who allow this to happen who are to blame.

Anyway these people didn't receive benefits ( cute last minute save!)

From the early years of the eighteenth century, thousands of Ulster Scots emigrated to the Colonies of British North America, first to New England and then in much larger numbers to Pennsylvania. From thence they went southwards though the Great Valley, east of the Appalachian Mountains, into the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and on to the Piedmont of North and South Carolina. Within three generations the line of the Appalachian range, from New England to Georgia was dotted with settlements of Ulster origin.
This was the beginning of the American Old West and the Scots-Irish people provided most of its pioneers, the archetypal frontiersman, Davy Crockett, was the son of an immigrant from Co Londonderry. They also left in the Appalachian region a rich heritage of material culture - the masonry skills of the Ulster Scot can be traced from the bawns or defensive walls of Plantation Ulster to the stone houses of Kentucky - a story-telling tradition and a legacy of music and dance which was the basis of Appalachian mountain culture.
You're preaching to the choir Ullish Rab...my people are the people of Appalachian mountain culture. From the Piedmont of North/South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and tobacco farms in Kentucky! They are still there to this very day!

So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History