Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,496 times

Advertisements

Just some pages from the booklet When Ulster Sailed West. Logan was from Ulster and thought bringing folk from his own country would help but as he said they were more trouble than the Indians
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_15340915.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_15383642.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_15434315.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_15472013.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,496 times
When Ulster Sailed West 2
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_16024875.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_16062698.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_17272113.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_17301240.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_17340627.jpg  

Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_17373122.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20191021_17592793.jpg  

Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 AM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Do you think there is more Americans of Scotch-Irish descent or Irish descent ?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Maybe this website has more information in that regard, probably.

Scotch-Irish are not my words and there are those who may or may not take offense to the usage, after all...as we all know, Scotch is a whiskey, and yet it seems the terminology is something that was/is used only in America, apparently.

The Scotch-Irish - The Melting Pot: The ethnic group that blended

It has already been observed that no other immigrants were so patriotically unanimous in support of the American cause as the Scotch-Irish. One group of patriotic settlers in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, drew up a set of resolutions on May 20, 1775, declaring the people of that county free and independent of the British Crown. This predominantly Scotch-Irish assemblage thus anticipated by more than a year the Declaration of Independence. The Revolutionary War might not have been won without Scotch-Irish fighting men.

https://www.americanheritage.com/scotch-irish

Old 11-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Scotch-Irish are not my words and there are those who may or may not take offense to the usage, after all...as we all know, Scotch is a whiskey, and yet it seems the terminology is something that was/is used only in America, apparently.

The Scotch-Irish - The Melting Pot: The ethnic group that blended

It has already been observed that no other immigrants were so patriotically unanimous in support of the American cause as the Scotch-Irish. One group of patriotic settlers in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, drew up a set of resolutions on May 20, 1775, declaring the people of that county free and independent of the British Crown. This predominantly Scotch-Irish assemblage thus anticipated by more than a year the Declaration of Independence. The Revolutionary War might not have been won without Scotch-Irish fighting men.

https://www.americanheritage.com/scotch-irish
Thanks for the link. They were the second European/White group in colonial area so I find it hard to believe that only 4 million Americans are of Scotch-Irish ancestry. I mean along with the English they are the backbone of the White Southerner. I think between 25-30 million must have at least a Scotch-Irish ancestor. Also African Americans usually have a minimum of European ancestry and most of the time is English/Scotch-Irish.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

I just cringe whenever I hear someone say Scotch - Irish. SCOTCH is whiskey. They should say Scottish. I don't know why Americans haven't figured this out.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I just cringe whenever I hear someone say Scotch - Irish. SCOTCH is whiskey. They should say Scottish. I don't know why Americans haven't figured this out.
Habit? Pure ignorance? I certainly do not know and could not say.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. They were the second European/White group in colonial area so I find it hard to believe that only 4 million Americans are of Scotch-Irish ancestry. I mean along with the English they are the backbone of the White Southerner. I think between 25-30 million must have at least a Scotch-Irish ancestor. Also African Americans usually have a minimum of European ancestry and most of the time is English/Scotch-Irish.
I believe it is because they were proud to claim themselves as American and after some time their original ancestries/ethnicities/nationalities fell by the wayside as they forged new identities in this land of the free and home of the brave.

My parents on both sides were from the south and they and "theirs" have always referred to themselves as American. Truly, I don't think my parents knew (or cared) what their original countries/nations were.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,849 times
Quote:
It’s hard to say. I believe a lot of people who put American as their ethnicity on the census are probably derived from scots-Irish ancestry in the southern United States. Just my speculation. So I believe that they are severely being undercounted. Also when some say they are Irish in the south, especially if the are Protestant (mostly Presbyterian) they are actually probably derived from the scots-Irish immigrant wave.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I saw the term Scots-Irish sometimes, maybe it's more appropriate. I wouldn't necessarily called them Scottish because they were also some from northern England who moved to Northern Ireland, then America and they were considered as Scotch-Irish. They stayed around a century in Ireland before going so they had already a different experience than the Scots from Scotland who migrate directly to America. Even in the first U.S census in 1790, there's a difference between Scottish and Scotch-Irish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
It’s hard to say. I believe a lot of people who put American as their ethnicity on the census are probably derived from scots-Irish ancestry in the southern United States. Just my speculation. So I believe that they are severely being undercounted. Also when some say they are Irish in the south, especially if the are Protestant (mostly Presbyterian) they are actually probably derived from the scots-Irish immigrant wave.

Indeed, I remember reading the 1990 U.S census and Irish was the largest ancestry in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'm sure most of them are actually Scotch-Irish because most Irish didn't immigrate in the south and the percentage of Catholics isn't high enough in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History