Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,766,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the tattoo craze will definitely die out by the 2030's it's already dying out right now, with people regretting getting them and wanting them removed

I recently saw a lady at the grocery store with a large tattoo covering her entire back that looked kind of like wings and it almost looked like a large bruise, all over he back and shoulders, awful and she was only in her mid 20's
I don't know if it has already started dying out, but I predict tattoos will become much less popular well before 2030 along with piercings.

I think by 2030 we will start to see some movement to more efficient transportation and a migration from the suburbs to city living because of the combined effects of oil prices, road congestion, pollution and the cost of parking in downtown areas.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,011,463 times
"Manscaping."

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,705,483 times
Sarah Palin?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,472,873 times
Facebook.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Hopefully skinny jeans...especially on men
They were very popular in the 60's and 70's until the bell bottoms took over in the 70's.

I think the McMansion will be seen as one of the cheesy aspects of the early 21st century. Huge and cheap is not the way to build a house.
The Hummer will also be remembered as both peculiar and cheesy, probably the crappiest vehicle that $50,000 could buy.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,322,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't know if it has already started dying out, but I predict tattoos will become much less popular well before 2030 along with piercings.
. . . and idiotic-looking on 50-somethings who find them very embarrassing when their hip grandchildren ask about them.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 PM

13,015 posts, read 19,001,261 times
Obamacare will be so entrenched it will be hard to see why it was so controversial. Supersized meals. "Business casual" will have run its course with suits and ties standard. (perhaps) gasoline power cars, most running by then on electricity or natural gas. E-cigarettes. Walmart, once the nation's leading retailer, by then greatly reduced in size.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,019,410 times
If it hasn't happened already - the act of taking a selfie.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:43 PM

11,654 posts, read 13,065,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If it hasn't happened already - the act of taking a selfie.
Haha I see that.

We'd laugh at the fact that we used our hands to take a selfie, because in the future our phones would hover around and take the 'selfie' for us.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,460,036 times
Hmm.

Agree tattoos will be seen as cheesy. The kids of 2030 will look at their parents' faded and wrinkled tattoos and go "bleh" just as the baby boomers saw their father's faded and wrinkled WWII tattoos and went "bleh." The next generation of hipsters will probably have a violent reaction against tattoos as it's become so mainstream.

Gay marriage will be here to stay. We will also see more and more interracial relationships but along different socioeconomic lines. More black/white relationships among poorer Americans, but far fewer among wealthier Americans. More Asian/White and Hispanic/White among affluent Americans.

It's hard to figure out what will happen to technology. Some people have said today's large smartphones will become smaller, but the smartphone is increasingly becoming a multi-purpose tool and a large screen is handy for many reasons. The current size for Samsumg Galaxys and Apple iPhones seems a good balance. Not too big to carry around, but not too small to make it difficult to see the content on the screen.

For a while it seemed that different technological functions were being bundled into one tool (like the smartphone, which serves as a phone, internet, GPS and camera) but now I'm starting to see the reverse. Computers as we know it will probably be replaced with multiple smaller (and cheaper) devices that are more portable. The IPad has become a huge hit and has eliminated many people's needs for a desktop for internet/email, but we still need a typewriting function for word documents. My guess is that people will have a base device that operates as a "hard drive" and which can be hooked up to multiple other devices for various purposes.

Cameras will disappear for most people, replaced with the camera function on their phone. Only serious photographers will continue to buy high quality Nikons and Canons. Little point and shoots are already dying out.

Cities will continue to rebound and become more dense and popular places. But the suburbs aren't going to disappear. A lot of revitalization will happen in older suburbs as well. The big houses are here to stay, partly because it's never been so cheap (due to technological innovation) to maintain and heat/cool a larger house as it is today so the operating expenses of a larger house is a moot point. But you will have a growing population of people who want to remain in more urban areas and accept smaller houses to be closer to amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History