Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think will see their glory days return and will be the most popular to move places in the 2010s?

Here is my list....

Rebounders:

#1. Buffalo: This city is very close to Toronto, is known for great arts, transit, infrastructure and some great neighborhoods and nightlife. Its amazing how a place so close to Toronto and with so many amenities has some of the lowest home values in the country. It does have a very high violent crime rate though so that will probubly have to go down alot before the city becomes stable.

#2. Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA: Close to NYC, Philly. Low Home Values, very, very scenic area, few social problems compared to most areas, also seems to be gentrifying at a very good clip. Seems like these two might become urban satilitte cities.

#3. St. Louis: It seems like they are expanding this cities urban amenities at a good clip already, densifying its urban neighborhoods. Despite having tremendous population loss, its known for great urban amenities. Although it has a very high violent crime rate that probubly impedes it, but it has great amenities that balance it out.

#4. Pittsburgh: Similar to St. Louis although doesnt have the violent crime rate nearly as high but also isnt a growing metropolitan area. Despite that has great urban neighborhoods, tons of colleges, great topography, large economic base and lots of large corperations. A genuine urban gem for the most.

#5. Kansas City: It seems like this city is very recognized as being very under-rated. Lots of large scale gentrification going on, becoming increasingly popular with the demographic Denver tried to attract in the 1990s (Singles between 25-35). Also, has alot of great urban areas on the southside and very, very well planned suburbs overall. The disadvantage with Kansas City is its economy tends not to be nearly as strong as other cities but overall with the Plaza, Westport and overall the adjacent on the southside it makes it a very interesting city overall. Also very, very affordable considering its a rather large metropolitan area.

some Very popular/high population growth in the 2010s: The usual ones probubly, in no particular order

Large (5 million more in metro)
Houston (For some reason I think this will be growing big, big time 2010s)
Dallas
Atlanta
Phoenix (who knows what happens if a water shortage)
Washington DC
In other words the usual ones!

(1-5 million)
Denver (2000s werent the good days for Denver, but lots of people want to move there!)
Oklahoma City
Portland
Baltimore
Austin
San Antonio
Charlotte
Triangle of North Carolina
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas

Smaller metro notable
Olympia, WA
Salem, OR
Flagstaff, AZ
Coeur D' Arlene, ID
Boise, ID
Billings, MT
Casper, WY
Greeley, CO
Grand Junction, CO
Provo-Orem, UT
St. George, UT
Farmington, NM
Albuquerque, NM
El Paso, TX
Lawrence, KS
Sioux Falls, SD
Des Moines, IA
Springfield, MO
Fayetteville, AR
Madison, WI

Last edited by MattDen; 06-12-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM

48 posts, read 291,620 times
I think it will be intersting to see what will happen to these mega burbs around LA, New York, and Chicago, etc. While these were small, clean, uncommercial, residential sectors outside of the immediate city, in the 20th century, within the past twenty years many of them have become the next largest city outside of the one they were supposed to be a suburb of. I wish I could give an educated prediction about what they will do, and how they will compete, not only with other cities their size, but with their own 'mother' city.

If I had to guess, I think there will be a major influx of people back into the cities, as more and more see the suburbs as the very thing they left the city for. Could be wrong, but I think in another fifty years, there are going to be many more 'Twin' and 'Quad' cities popping up around these once indivdual cities.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
As for the Usual ones, I'd add:

Smaller Growers:

Bend, Oregon.

1- 5 million:
Sacramento... those 10-12 million more California residents have to live somewhere. It seems Sacto is about to hit critical mass, where people will actually think of it when thinking of the 25 largest metros in the country.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:41 PM

275 posts, read 870,142 times
I live in Hampton Roads, which is Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News, VA area. It's growing rapidly here, with neighborhoods popping up everywhere. Even if you take into account the military population, the population is growing like wildfire here. Even the newer high schools (built in the last 10 or so years) are having to add on because of the unexpected boom.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM

150 posts, read 688,861 times
Houston will grow by big huge gigantic numbers, lol. I mean i live here and the amount of people i run into EVERY day that have moved from the eastcoast and westcoast is amazing. Im so serious every single year you can feel the difference, on the roads, in schools, at grocery stores. Houston will be the fastest growing city in the next decade. we have everything that the "big 3" have, beaches, business, big buildings, diversity, culture, big media, its almost scary to thing how much more potential Houston has.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM

150 posts, read 688,861 times
Quote:
Pheonix should be in the 1-5 million category, they are just under 4 million. Pheonix is a BIG suburb, people will eventually get tired of this, i know i would, especially when you have cities like DFW and Houston who have city life, yet they have nice suburbs, and the cost of living is cheaper.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:10 AM

147 posts, read 690,325 times
miami and phoenix will be up there

Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM

607 posts, read 2,979,434 times
Detroit will be back by then, it's already seeing a comeback. new lofts all over are opening, more towers are coming in downtown.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
What cities do you think will see their glory days return and will be the most popular to move places in the 2010s?

Here is my list....

Rebounders:

#1. Buffalo: This city is very close to Toronto, is known for great arts, transit, infrastructure and some great neighborhoods and nightlife. Its amazing how a place so close to Toronto and with so many amenities has some of the lowest home values in the country. It does have a very high violent crime rate though so that will probubly have to go down alot before the city becomes stable.

#2. Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA: Close to NYC, Philly. Low Home Values, very, very scenic area, few social problems compared to most areas, also seems to be gentrifying at a very good clip. Seems like these two might become urban satilitte cities.

#3. St. Louis: It seems like they are expanding this cities urban amenities at a good clip already, densifying its urban neighborhoods. Despite having tremendous population loss, its known for great urban amenities. Although it has a very high violent crime rate that probubly impedes it, but it has great amenities that balance it out.

#4. Pittsburgh: Similar to St. Louis although doesnt have the violent crime rate nearly as high but also isnt a growing metropolitan area. Despite that has great urban neighborhoods, tons of colleges, great topography, large economic base and lots of large corperations. A genuine urban gem for the most.

#5. Kansas City: It seems like this city is very recognized as being very under-rated. Lots of large scale gentrification going on, becoming increasingly popular with the demographic Denver tried to attract in the 1990s (Singles between 25-35). Also, has alot of great urban areas on the southside and very, very well planned suburbs overall. The disadvantage with Kansas City is its economy tends not to be nearly as strong as other cities but overall with the Plaza, Westport and overall the adjacent on the southside it makes it a very interesting city overall. Also very, very affordable considering its a rather large metropolitan area.

some Very popular/high population growth in the 2010s: The usual ones probubly, in no particular order

Large (5 million more in metro)
Houston (For some reason I think this will be growing big, big time 2010s)
Dallas
Atlanta
Washington DC
In other words the usual ones!

(1-5 million)
Denver (2000s werent the good days for Denver, but lots of people want to move there!)
Oklahoma City
Portland
Baltimore
Austin
San Antonio
Charlotte
Triangle of North Carolina
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas

Smaller metro notable
Olympia, WA
Salem, OR
Flagstaff, AZ
Coeur D' Arlene, ID
Boise, ID
Billings, MT
Casper, WY
Greeley, CO
Grand Junction, CO
Provo-Orem, UT
St. George, UT
Farmington, NM
Albuquerque, NM
El Paso, TX
Lawrence, KS
Sioux Falls, SD
Des Moines, IA
Springfield, MO
Fayetteville, AR
Madison, WI
Kansas City is great. If anyone told me they were moving to the Midwest,
Kansas City would be my first recommendation. They have a lot of great malls, stores, and great restaurants. Being close to Worlds of Fun would be nice. The only thing I would warn people about is the Missouri side of Kansas City. It is just as nice as the Kansas side, but some of the areas on the MO side kind of made me a little nervous. Kansas City does seem to be very affordable for a city it's size. I really like Overland Park.
I would much rather live in Kansas City than where I am currently living(Lincoln, NE). Lincoln is nice, but I like KC a lot better.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I think Albuquerque will continue its growth, when people want to relocate to the Southwest and get tired of places like Phoenix and Vegas which arent much of cities in the first place they will start heading to Albuquerque. Many companies have came in the past few years so I think it will continue.

Boise seems to be a popular city, I think it will continue to prosper

El Paso is going to see about 65,000 soldiers coming in, the city is making improvements and has a good housing market still.

others

Des Moines
Raleigh
St.George,UT
Dallas,Ft.Worth,Austin,San Antonio,Houston,Amarillo,Lubbock,Midland-Odessa
Charlotte
Nashille
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.