Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Advertisements

There are many good places for seafood, or fish, across the country, from Maine to Florida, from the Pacific Northwest to the Gulf Coast.

Of the regional cultures/areas, which one or ones do you think would rank at the top? Where would be the center/centers of "seafood" culture, for you personally, where many seafood items/foods are consumed most regularly and are mainstream or there are tons of it available in restaurants, stores etc. and it plays a part in the culture of the area?

I'm talking all around, all and any kinds -- fish, shellfish, crustaceans, etc. anything harvested from the ocean!

Where do you think it'd be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Hawaii. Lots of Japanese people there and I think fish is a bigger part of daily life for Asians than other cultures.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There are many good places for seafood, or fish, across the country, from Maine to Florida, from the Pacific Northwest to the Gulf Coast.

Of the regional cultures/areas, which one or ones do you think would rank at the top? Where would be the center/centers of "seafood" culture, for you personally, where many seafood items/foods are consumed most regularly and are mainstream or there are tons of it available in restaurants, stores etc. and it plays a part in the culture of the area?

I'm talking all around, all and any kinds -- fish, shellfish, crustaceans, etc. anything harvested from the ocean!

Where do you think it'd be?
Fish is not only harvested from the ocean, but also from lakes.

Fishing is extremely popular in Minnesota, considering that we have well over 10,000 lakes, including a very large one which is inhabited by many "Atlantic" fish. Almost everybody "up north" has fished, and I would dare to say that most other Minnesotans have too. Not only that, but Minnesota is the top-ranking state for boat ownership, and fishing opener (which is coming up here soon) is a major holiday across the state. Even trailer parks here that look like something out of the third world will have an old motorboat or two. Lakes vary from Lake Superior (which is almost so cold as to be classified as an Arctic lake) to (relatively warm) urban lakes like Lake Hiawatha to large, again cold lakes like Red Lake and Lake of the Woods to water-filled mine pits that have been stocked with fish by the State, which are small in surface area but extremely deep (400 feet).

However, that doesn't mean that you'll necessarily find the fruit of our lakes at any given restaurant. I know that some years ago a lab tested supposed "Walleye" (a very popular local fish) ordered off the menus of various restaurants and found a significant number to be Canadian pollock (!) Lake Superior trout or salmon is excellent, but even here in Duluth, right on the lake, it is also expensive. Commercial fishing is limited, probably in part to preserve the fish stock for recreational fishing.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
For old world style seafood or fish n chips, Id say, New England or Maryland.

For homestyle/cajun style fried seafood etc, Id say the gulf coast.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
I'm sure there are a lot of places that hold seafood in high regard, but in my own experience I've never been to a place where just about every single person, residents, tourists, and seasonal workers alike, were as completely obsessed with fish and other seafood as in coastal Alaskan fishing towns. You can tell a place is really serious about fishing when the local grocery store stocks lots of frozen bait fish, but hardly any fish to eat.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Fish is extremely popular in the upper midwest. Anywhere in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota you will find alot of restaurants that sell local fish like perch and Walleye. We have alot of water and we do alot of fishing. We also eat alot of that fish. Im not claiming we have the seafood culture of the northeast, I know we dont but fish is a very popular thing here.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I would say most of the Gulf coast or the New England coast.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Do any of these places have a culture of eating fish RAW? Like sushi and poke? Anyone can eat it cooked but what about raw? Gulf Coast, New England, etc..all seem to cook it but places like Hawaii seem to eat it cooked and raw.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would say most of the Gulf coast or the New England coast.
New England seems to celebrate seafood more than any other region.

Of course it's gonna be big in any coastal area. The Gulf coast has a rich culinary tradition, too, of course.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do any of these places have a culture of eating fish RAW? Like sushi and poke? Anyone can eat it cooked but what about raw? Gulf Coast, New England, etc..all seem to cook it but places like Hawaii seem to eat it cooked and raw.
I love sashimi. I go for sushi here in Chicago and get it at least once a week. The place I normally go loves me, and gives us up to 40 pieces when we get the 20 piece plate I could eat it every day.

Sushi and raw fish have gotten a lot more popular the past 10-15 years when you can basically fly fresh fish in within hours to almost any restaurant in the country.

My hometown of Iowa City had one Japanese steakhouse growing up, and I just looked and they now have 13 sushi restaurants. I went to one of them last time I was home, it was packed and had good food. I asked the manager how they get their fish, and he said they have multiple distributors who load up fish at different points and immediately make the 10 hour drive to the Midwest and unload them at the restaurant. They have a few shipments a week so the fish is always as fresh as possible. The place I go to in Chicago has it come in on a plane from the distributors and trucked to his restaurant, so it's as fresh as possible and never frozen.

One of the things that surprised me most was seeing a flatbed truck in Iowa City selling all sorts of shellfish to people downtown. Turns out this guy lives along the gulf coast and will load up his truck with shellfish straight from the water, leave at 9pm and arrive in Iowa City at 9am to sell it to people. He then makes stops in towns to the north of Iowa City and then heads back home to Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.